GUNS!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah, people have gone a little crazy buying anything at almost any price. Crazy! I might look around and see if any one wants to buy my Saiga, hell I've got too many guns now.

That is a good deal and if my 700 (in 308) wasn't in excellent shape I might look into it but I'm really happy with it.

Thanks D. :)
The 770 would be considered a step down from the 700 would it not?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Yes sir it is, and mine still has plenty of lands and grooves left in it to shoot.

The main problem with the 770 as far as I can see are some of the plastic parts, there have been some reports of parts breaking...? Remington backs its product better than most so it would play out as a hassle and maybe a missed shot at a dear. :idunno: If I were to believe in reports I would have not gotten the 700, it had a number of law suits for being a dangerous weapon but after reading a lot of the reports I could attribute the accidents to a faulty weapon or mishandling by the shooter?

As I said if I was in the market for a new rifle that deal on the 770 is a good one and I wouldn't hesitate getting one, if I ever had good luck at anything it would be finding a good reliable rifle. I'm just lucky I guess, even with some of my off brand buying like my Serbu 50 cal. the price was 1/4 of most 50 cal. and it shoots accurately. The only tweaking I've done to it was to lighten the trigger.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The main problem with the 770 as far as I can see are some of the plastic parts, there have been some reports of parts breaking...?

If those plastic parts break, I wonder if they could be replaced by 7oo parts :think:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
If those plastic parts break, I wonder if they could be replaced by 7oo parts :think:

Very good question!?

Would have to do some digging to check it out.

Edit:

Did a fast check on the web for interchangeable parts between the 700 and the 770, doesn't look like it is possible? I'm sure Remington likes to keep their rifle families different enough so as not to loose repair orders/parts orders, plus that is one of the reasons the law suits have not been very successful against Remington in the past, most of the weapons in question were not new and it would be difficult for the litigants to prove proper care and or the owners attempting improper repairs/adjustments.

Last edited:

fool

Hall of Fame
Sure glad I bought mine before the price explosion!:D

$1200.00 :shocked: Sorry there is no way I would pay that price for my Saiga.

So you have one.
Is it as reliable as we've heard?
What's the biggest mag you have for it?
Would you recomend it?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
1. So you have one.
2. Is it as reliable as we've heard?
3. What's the biggest mag you have for it?
4. Would you recomend it?

1. Yes I own a Saiga 12 gauge.

2. The gun itself is reliable.

3. The largest I have are 10 round mags for it.

4. Yes providing you are able to get good magazines, that seems to be the single problem I've found. The mags I've got are polymer built by SGM Tactical and need to be broke in seriously, they seem to be built way to tight and requires considerable use to loosen up in order to feed well.

***Personal note: At today's prices I would not buy this shotgun, the ten round capacity isn't that much more than some of the American built 8 round tube feeders and they are going for half the price (Mossberg 590)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like that 308 case, good little one and nice necked down to .264, with 100 to 140 grain bullets. My favourite is the 120 Grain Gameking.

The 308, I like the 165 grain, or the 180 grain, the 165 is like having an extra 100 yards on a 30-30 with a 170 grain pill. I really dislike 150 grains for 30 caliber, however, the weight is great fir a .284, or 270

If you need more than a 180 grain, like the 190 from Hornady, or a 200 Gameking, or Nosler, or Swift, then a 30-06 is better, but I like to 06 fire formed to a case like the 308, with less shoulder slope, like a Brown Whelen.

I really think the 264 Remington is like a smaller 270 Win, not that much difference and it stands in well for a 243.

If you hunt mainly east, that combination, along with a few shotguns is all you need, along with a good handgun, a big one when hunting.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thoughts on the Israeli TAR-21 (Tavor) assault rifle (5.56×45mm ammo)?

idf-tavor1.jpg

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thoughts on the Israeli TAR-21 (Tavor) assault rifle (5.56×45mm ammo)?

idf-tavor1.jpg

Bullpup stocks are a fun concept but the linkage to the trigger is generally an issue that makes the trigger pull less than perfect.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just won the bid on an old single shot 12 ga. that needs a new stock.

I have some nice pieces of maple on the wood pile that I am going to try to carve something out of. I have not yet decided if I am going with a shoulder stock or just a nub of a pistol grip. Sort of like this...

So I finally picked up my shotgun. I got there and the guy told me that " I was looking at it and it's not actually a 12 ga. Turns out it is a 20 ga. He gave me a chance to back out of the deal, but the price was right so I went ahead with the deal.

I have a temporary pistol grip rigged up. I just cut up one of those foam swim noodles and wrapped it with duct tape. The gun shoots real nice so far.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
So I finally picked up my shotgun. I got there and the guy told me that " I was looking at it and it's not actually a 12 ga. Turns out it is a 20 ga. He gave me a chance to back out of the deal, but the price was right so I went ahead with the deal.

I have a temporary pistol grip rigged up. I just cut up one of those foam swim noodles and wrapped it with duct tape. The gun shoots real nice so far.

You really love your projects Del and since you are so inventive I've come to look forward to seeing your new creations.:thumb:

Wrapped swim noodles? Who would have thought? Cool!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You really love your projects Del and since you are so inventive I've come to look forward to seeing your new creations.:thumb:

Wrapped swim noodles? Who would have thought? Cool!

It is sort of ugly, but I have to say the grip is not at all uncomfortable. I am kind of having mixed feelings about whether to carve nice grips for it and do the job right, or to see how long such a rigged set up can hold up.

I will have Yorzhik and Adam give you a report on how it shoots next time we get together.