GUNS!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I never thought I would be saying this but things have changed and my neighborhood is not what it used to be. So that being said, I walked into a new shooting range that opened up the street from me. I thought this would be a hole in the wall place with a glass case full of used guns. I was wrong this place was cool. They sold everything. I was like a kid in a candy store (I hate to make that analogy). I was hoping some of the wise people on TOL might help me. What I’m looking for is a gun for home defense and some range shooting. I have shot pistols before so I do know some, but I don’t know what companies are making the best guns and so forth...

Home defense pump action shot gun! I have become really fond of the 20 ga. as my wife and daughter are a bit afraid to shoot a 12 ga. One round of 20 ga buckshot will still put as much lead on target as emptying a revolver.

Pierac

I never thought I would be saying this but things have changed and my neighborhood is not what it used to be. So that being said, I walked into a new shooting range that opened up the street from me. I thought this would be a hole in the wall place with a glass case full of used guns. I was wrong this place was cool. They sold everything. I was like a kid in a candy store (I hate to make that analogy). I was hoping some of the wise people on TOL might help me. What I’m looking for is a gun for home defense and some range shooting. I have shot pistols before so I do know some, but I don’t know what companies are making the best guns and so forth...

Most indoor ranges have guns for rent... Try out different manufactures... I love the Springfield XDm's while others hate them! Try different guns and see what gives you the best pattern on paper!

Paul

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.guns.com/2013/08/17/do-you-like-guns-sitting-introducing-the-couchbunker-video/

And you thought stubbing your toe on the corner of the couch hurts bad now. Introducing the CouchBunker, a fire-rated gun safe hidden inside a custom built couch. Oh but does it get better: every CouchBunker comes with a bullet proof cushions fit with carry straps, so that they can be used as shields.
The CouchBunker is the finest in lounge-centric security from the BedBunker company, which makes — surprise — safes that you can sleep on

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just purchased 50 rounds of "cowboy" Colt .45 ammo. The funny part is that they are fully jacketed, hollow point.

I am a cowboy through and through, don't get me wrong, but I would NEVER use my single-action, 1873 Colt .45 for concealed or self-defense use.

It was all that I could find, and it wasn't cheap. Still, the gun is FUN to shoot, and I got what I could.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does that shoot in the Army Single action revolver?

I believe so.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that I have been unable to find any non-jacketed, Colt .45 ammo for my gun.

I made do with what I found, but it was neither cheap nor what I was looking for.

Hollow point? For an old cowboy gun? Seems silly, in my opinion. But I bought it because there wasn't anything else to be had.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:think: Why not?

Interesting point. I guess I trust a modern, semi-automatic more.

Probably a lack of confidence in my ability.

Still, when it comes to protecting my children, I'd rather have more than less.

I see your point, though.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Interesting point. I guess I trust a modern, semi-automatic more.

Probably a lack of confidence in my ability.

Still, when it comes to protecting my children, I'd rather have more than less.

I see your point, though.

:think: While I see your point for volume/rate of fire (It wouldn't be my first choice either.) I would not feel unarmed (by any stretch of the imagination) with a SA .45LC. When loaded properly (defense ammo) the round is quite effective.

Modern semi's are indeed very reliable but I can't see any of them to be more inherently reliable than a single action revolver. :idunno:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:think: While I see your point for volume/rate of fire (It wouldn't be my first choice either.) I would not feel unarmed (by any stretch of the imagination) with a SA .45LC. When loaded properly (defense ammo) the round is quite effective.

Modern semi's are indeed very reliable but I can't see any of them to be more inherently reliable than a single action revolver. :idunno:

Honestly...I guess I'm more afraid of the "bad guy" laughing at me when I haul out my cowboy single-action 6 shooter.

A shotgun? A Glock? A 1911? A bit more intimidating. They get the job done, don't get me wrong, but they may laugh themselves to death when they think it is suddenly the mid 19th century again.

:)

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
571013.jpg

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Honestly...I guess I'm more afraid of the "bad guy" laughing at me when I haul out my cowboy single-action 6 shooter.

A shotgun? A Glock? A 1911? A bit more intimidating. They get the job done, don't get me wrong, but they may laugh themselves to death when they think it is suddenly the mid 19th century again.

:)

I think a 250gr Speer Gold Dot moving toward him at 800fps would stop anyone from laughing. :plain:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It is all about being comfortable with a particular weapon. I think I remember when he got that gun and it wasn't that long ago. When and if he spends a lot of time with it at the range, it could well become one of his favorite shooters. Then it would be a good choice for self defense.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe so.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that I have been unable to find any non-jacketed, Colt .45 ammo for my gun.

I made do with what I found, but it was neither cheap nor what I was looking for.

Hollow point? For an old cowboy gun? Seems silly, in my opinion. But I bought it because there wasn't anything else to be had.

There is a Cowboy Action Shooting club in Vegas. http://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Desert-Desperados-71 I'm sure somebody there can hook you up with a supplier of lead 45 LC. Says here they meet 3rd Sunday of the month. Chances are, if you showed up to watch, they would put guns in your hands and get you to join in. That is what happened to me at the club here in Indiana, at any rate.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a Cowboy Action Shooting club in Vegas. http://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Desert-Desperados-71 I'm sure somebody there can hook you up with a supplier of lead 45 LC. Says here they meet 3rd Sunday of the month. Chances are, if you showed up to watch, they would put guns in your hands and get you to join in. That is what happened to me at the club here in Indiana, at any rate.

That is excellent to know! I wasn't aware of that. Thank you.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It is all about being comfortable with a particular weapon. I think I remember when he got that gun and it wasn't that long ago. When and if he spends a lot of time with it at the range, it could well become one of his favorite shooters. Then it would be a good choice for self defense.

Of course...I wouldn't suggest otherwise. :nono:

:plain: I just thought that it would be a mistake to dismiss the weapon out of hand because you think someone may be foolish enough to laugh at it.

:think: Personally, I don't think anyone would be.

While, as I stated before, it would definitely not be my first choice in just about any situation. Big bore revolvers have a rationality all their own. An effect that you just can't fully reproduce with an auto.

While Vegas may see an antique design, the guy standing on the other end will be looking down that sewer pipe of a barrel. He'll then be noticing the "gold dots" in the center of those huge slugs on either side looking back from the cylinder...And maybe, if the light is just right, that one down in the barrel with his name on it.

To laugh at that you have to be either insane or high beyond rationality....In which case you might just have to shoot 'em anyway. :idunno:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course...I wouldn't suggest otherwise. :nono:

:plain: I just thought that it would be a mistake to dismiss the weapon out of hand because you think someone may be foolish enough to laugh at it.

:think: Personally, I don't think anyone would be.

While, as I stated before, it would definitely not be my first choice in just about any situation. Big bore revolvers have a rationality all their own. An effect that you just can't fully reproduce with an auto.

While Vegas may see an antique design, the guy standing on the other end will be looking down that sewer pipe of a barrel. He'll then be noticing the "gold dots" in the center of those huge slugs on either side looking back from the cylinder...And maybe, if the light is just right, that one down in the barrel with his name on it.

To laugh at that you have to be either insane or high beyond rationality....In which case you might just have to shoot 'em anyway. :idunno:

Indeed.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame

Yeah, if you go to watch a SASS match, you are likely to end up participating. :) That's how ours went too.