GUNS!

Getting back to our discussion of Tokarevs. One of the reviews I read, it maybe even one I quoted from, said that slamming the magazine in could cause it to fire. This could only be true if a round was already in the chamber when a new magazine was inserted and the firing pin was free to move. If no round was chambered, the round at the top of the magazine would not be inline with the firing pin. You can't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially on forums. Gun Tests magazine did give the Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev a buy rating. I would say, anyone on a budget could do much worse. However, I talked myself out of buying one.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Getting back to our discussion of Tokarevs. One of the reviews I read, it maybe even one I quoted from, said that slamming the magazine in could cause it to fire. This could only be true if a round was already in the chamber when a new magazine was inserted and the firing pin was free to move. If no round was chambered, the round at the top of the magazine would not be inline with the firing pin. You can't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially on forums. Gun Tests magazine did give the Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev a buy rating. I would say, anyone on a budget could do much worse. However, I talked myself out of buying one.

True, if, the slide is forward when inserting the magazine.

If it is to the rear, then it could be possible if the slide release/trigger mechanism is faulty or very sensitive and some one slams a magazine in place.

Many ranges require that the actions (slides/bolts) be opened and facing up on a bench (so as to be able to verify visually that it is in a safe state) any time the line is called to cease fire, clear and lock all weapons. When the line is to return to a hot status (commence firing) many simply insert a magazine and trip the slide release forward to chamber a round.

As example, the Remington 700 trigger assembly, one of the best factory triggers I've seen in years, but also one that has created many law suits for Remington for being faulty.
The trigger system is easily accessed for adjustment by those that are not gun smiths but it is necessary to insure that the system is not made unsafe by adjusting it too light. If it is adjusted too light the weapon has a tendency to fire when the bolt is pushed forward with force or even when simply pushing the safety tag to the safe/fire position. It must be checked repetitively to insure this condition does not happen. Since I have made my own adjustments to the trigger mechanism I check it each and every time I take the weapon out of the gun safe to verify its condition.

IMJerusha

The single .22LR is not likely to stop anyone, unless it's a head shot. Hollow points are a waste on .22LR ammo because they likely won't expand. Multiple hits are required.

.22 is a poor choice for defense ammo IMHO. I personally consider .380ACP to be the bare minimum and even with that I'm choosey about what I stoke it with.

That having been said....Shot placement is always king.

Case in point: The death of Trooper Coates of the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

Thank you for your input. I am a fair shot but in the dark or being very nervous, my accuracy would be greatly affected. I thought about that which is why I then thought about the M-57 which is small, has better stopping capability and less recoil. Maybe I should do as Bybee did, go with a .38 and practice more. I would need to because I've developed weak hands and wrists over the last two years. In the meanwhile, the trusty shotgun stands by. I'm just tired of tripping over it when I make the bed! Anyway, thank you again.

IMJerusha

images

http://www.remington.com/products/a...buckshot/express-managed-recoil-buckshot.aspx

Thanks Delmar! I'll certainly look at this option whether I purchase a handgun or not.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

If it is to the rear, then it could be possible if the slide release/trigger mechanism is faulty or very sensitive and some one slams a magazine in place.

:plain: I've been thinking about this...trying to figure out how it could be possible. The only thing that I think could be happening is that the trigger is faulty and the magazine disconnect was keeping the weapon from firing until the mag was inserted. If this was the case though it's a "slam-fire" situation waiting to happen.

Personally, I think the author is refusing to admit to himself that he needs to pay more attention to the location of his fingers. :idunno:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
:plain: I've been thinking about this...trying to figure out how it could be possible. The only thing that I think could be happening is that the trigger is faulty and the magazine disconnect was keeping the weapon from firing until the mag was inserted. If this was the case though it's a "slam-fire" situation waiting to happen.

Personally, I think the author is refusing to admit to himself that he needs to pay more attention to the location of his fingers. :idunno:

Don't forget those that like to polish the sear to the point of it being dangerous and causing the slam fire or even a run away gun, all it takes is a bump. Hopefully we are talking the same language, don't forget my terminology is from my military experience from 40+ years ago :shocked: and I'm an old dinosaur.

:chuckle: That is what I see all the time on blogs, people saying they have a problem but not being able to admit or see where they have caused the problem themselves. It's easier to blame the weapon/manufacturer.

I do not recommend that inexperienced people do their own customizing when it comes to something as dangerous as a weapon, but then you can't police stupid. :chuckle:

Many ranges require that the actions (slides/bolts) be opened and facing up on a bench (so as to be able to verify visually that it is in a safe state) any time the line is called to cease fire, clear and lock all weapons. When the line is to return to a hot status (commence firing) many simply insert a magazine and trip the slide release forward to chamber a round.
I agree 100% with what you wrote. I'm not sure the gun forum post I read was as clearly written as your post here. No mention was made of the slide release, if memory serves me.

Thank you for your input. I am a fair shot but in the dark or being very nervous, my accuracy would be greatly affected. I thought about that which is why I then thought about the M-57 which is small, has better stopping capability and less recoil. Maybe I should do as Bybee did, go with a .38 and practice more. I would need to because I've developed weak hands and wrists over the last two years. In the meanwhile, the trusty shotgun stands by. I'm just tired of tripping over it when I make the bed! Anyway, thank you again.
The Tokarev M-57 I handled was not small. It may resemble a Colt 1903/08, but it's quite a bit bigger. It's more like a 1911, which they "borrowed" a lot of their features from.

Don't forget those that like to polish the sear to the point of it being dangerous and causing the slam fire or even a run away gun, all it takes is a bump. Hopefully we are talking the same language, don't forget my terminology is from my military experience from 40+ years ago :shocked: and I'm an old dinosaur.

:chuckle: That is what I see all the time on blogs, people saying they have a problem but not being able to admit or see where they have caused the problem themselves. It's easier to blame the weapon/manufacturer.

I do not recommend that inexperienced people do their own customizing when it comes to something as dangerous as a weapon, but then you can't police stupid. :chuckle:
After I had been shooting awhile, I started to think about adding a revolver to my collection. The lady (she shot in competition) at the gun store I purchased my first two Glocks from showed me a used Smith & Wesson K-Frame .357 magnum, but it looked like new. She told me the action was polished by the previous owner. I asked her if I could dry fire it (you should always ask) and she said no problem. I thumbcocked it to single action and as I was moving it to aim in a safe direction, it went off. Of course it was unloaded but what bothered me was a single action trigger pull under or at 2 ounces. I didn't buy it. A gun like that may be great for competition, but not for home defense. I eventually bought an L-Frame .357 that I'm quite happy with.

IMJerusha

The Tokarev M-57 I handled was not small. It may resemble a Colt 1903/08, but it's quite a bit bigger. It's more like a 1911, which they "borrowed" a lot of their features from.

What I mean by small is the distance from the grip to the trigger, mag release and safety. It was my husband who thought it would be good for my hand but I didn't get to hold the weapon. I guess I should try to find one to actually hold rather than take my husband's word for it. I can't tell from the videos.

My son is just now telling me that I'm confused, that the fellow at the gun store mislead me to thinking that the p22 mag release is the same as the ppk (he didn't have a ppk in stock to show me). I apologize for my confusion.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I thumbcocked it to single action and as I was moving it to aim in a safe direction, it went off. Of course it was unloaded but what bothered me was a single action trigger pull under or at 2 ounces.

:idea: Now I remember why that guy told me to never put my finger on the trigger until I wanted to shoot. :chuckle:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My latest gun project

My latest gun project

I just won the bid on an old single shot 12 ga. that needs a new stock.

pix392667969.jpg
pix141278957.jpg

I have some nice pieces of maple on the wood pile that I am going to try to carve something out of. I have not yet decided if I am going with a shoulder stock or just a nub of a pistol grip. Sort of like this...

87532053.jpg

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I just won the bid on an old single shot 12 ga. that needs a new stock.

I have some nice pieces of maple on the wood pile that I am going to try to carve something out of. I have not yet decided if I am going with a shoulder stock or just a nub of a pistol grip. Sort of like this...

87532053.jpg

Just be mindful of the laws regarding such things. Barrel Length 18+" Overall length 26+" :plain: Just sayin'

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just be mindful of the laws regarding such things. Barrel Length 18+" Overall length 26+" :plain: Just sayin'

I should be good to go on the 18" part. The seller is an FFL. I will make sure it is 26" overall, which might take me in the shoulder stock direction.