GUNS!

IMJerusha

Because the Largemouth is an agressive predator that attacks on movement. WD40 is fish oil and petroleum distalites. No need to put the petrol in the fresh water.

Oh, okay, but isn't that true of many lures? What do you use because the bass around here aren't as aggressive as I'd like them to be. :chuckle:

1287745443.jpg

The reason I was asking about this handgun is that it's supposed to have good stopping power but less recoil so it's easier for a woman to fire accurately and fits a smaller hand. Notice the clip release is not like the Walther ppk which I struggle with. I notice folks here talking about Tokarev's and Makarov's. They fire the 7.62x25 rounds also. Are they the same as the M-57? I thought about a Bersa Thunder 22 which fits my hand very well and I could run hollow points in it. I just want something for home protection with minimal recoil.
Makarovs shoot a different round, i.e. 9x18 Makarov. The 9x18 has about as much stopping power as a .380 ACP. Neither the Walther nor the Tokarev use clips. Neither does the Makarov for that matter. They all use magazines, big difference. Tokarev M-57s that you can buy in this country will have a safety, and be very much like the 1911A1. The magazine release will be like the Walther PPK, PPK/S and the 1911A1. The CZ 52 also shoots the 7.62x25, has a heel mounted magazine release, and is quite powerful, but hollow point ammo is hard to find. I would not rely on it to shoot hollow points reliable until I put a few hundred rounds through it. The new M-57 that I looked at was a 9 mm. The used M-57s I looked at were 7.62x25 with an add-on safety to meet import requirements. Here's a review:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/02/robert-farago/gun-review-yugo-tokarev-m57-semi-auto-chambered-for-7-62x25/

IMJerusha

Makarovs shoot a different round, i.e. 9x18 Makarov. The 9x18 has about as much stopping power as a .380 ACP. Neither the Walther nor the Tokarev use clips. Neither does the Makarov for that matter. They all use magazines, big difference. Tokarev M-57s that you can buy in this country will have a safety, and be very much like the 1911A1. The magazine release will be like the Walther PPK, PPK/S and the 1911A1. The CZ 52 also shoots the 7.62x25, has a heel mounted magazine release, and is quite powerful, but hollow point ammo is hard to find. I would not rely on it to shoot hollow points reliable until I put a few hundred rounds through it. The new M-57 that I looked at was a 9 mm. The used M-57s I looked at were 7.62x25 with an add-on safety to meet import requirements. Here's a review:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/02/robert-farago/gun-review-yugo-tokarev-m57-semi-auto-chambered-for-7-62x25/

Okay. I use the word clip interchangeably with magazine. I do understand the difference. Thanks for the info.
I have a ton of hollow point 22 ammo which is what has made me lean toward the Bersa Thunder. My last visit to the local gunsmith revealed that ammo in general is getting thin.

Okay. I use the word clip interchangeably with magazine. I do understand the difference. Thanks for the info.
I have a ton of hollow point 22 ammo which is what has made me lean toward the Bersa Thunder. My last visit to the local gunsmith revealed tyhat ammo in general is getting thin.
The single .22LR is not likely to stop anyone, unless it's a head shot. Hollow points are a waste on .22LR ammo because they likely won't expand. Multiple hits are required.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
The single .22LR is not likely to stop anyone, unless it's a head shot. Hollow points are a waste on .22LR ammo because they likely won't expand. Multiple hits are required.

.22 is a poor choice for defense ammo IMHO. I personally consider .380ACP to be the bare minimum and even with that I'm choosey about what I stoke it with.

That having been said....Shot placement is always king.

Case in point: The death of Trooper Coates of the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
45, causing shooting twice is stupid.

:plain:

.45 ACP is a good round! Also a full sized .45 is heavy enough that if a 13 year old girl can get used to wielding it, she won't feel much recoil.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
.45 ACP is a good round! Also a full sized .45 is heavy enough that if a 13 year old girl can get used to wielding it, she won't feel much recoil.
I'm not sure getting a 13 year old girl to be comfortable with a .45 would be easy to do. And although just because something is hard doesn't mean you don't do it, I would be happy if my girls could get comfortable with a .22.

.22 is a poor choice for defense ammo IMHO. I personally consider .380ACP to be the bare minimum and even with that I'm choosey about what I stoke it with.

That having been said....Shot placement is always king.

Case in point: The death of Trooper Coates of the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
Shot placement trumps all. I also consider .380 ACP as the minimum choice for defensive ammo, and only then when gun size and weight are more important than stopping power. While 9 mm is very popular and I have several 9 mm guns, I prefer .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .357 Sig and .357 Magnum for home defense. With injuries to my wife's shoulder and my own shoulder problems, a 12 ga. shotgun is not an option.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Holy bananas! 9mm going for $.50 a round? At least that seems the going rate where I'm looking.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not sure getting a 13 year old girl to be comfortable with a .45 would be easy to do. And although just because something is hard doesn't mean you don't do it, I would be happy if my girls could get comfortable with a .22.
I thought I remembered your oldest firing a couple of rounds with my .45 and not being to bothered by it. Now that I think about it, that was at my house, which means she may have been shooting plastic bullets.

I do know that Elton's daughter could manage the recoil on my .45 when she was 13. She said she was afraid the gun would hit her in the forehead so I told her to hold her elbows straight and guide the energy upward. She fired the first shot. Shrugged her shoulders then emptied the magazine.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Holy bananas! 9mm going for $.50 a round? At least that seems the going rate where I'm looking.

Last time there was and ammo shortage I don't remember .22 getting hard to find. Glad I bought quite a bit a couple of years back.

I think it's an individual thing. I trained my 16 year old niece with a .40 caliber Glock. That seemed to work out fine. The most punishing gun in my collection is a .25 ACP Beretta 950BS. It's very hard on the hands. It's good to carry in an emergency.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Shot placement trumps all. I also consider .380 ACP as the minimum choice for defensive ammo, and only then when gun size and weight are more important than stopping power. While 9 mm is very popular and I have several 9 mm guns, I prefer .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .357 Sig and .357 Magnum for home defense. With injuries to my wife's shoulder and my own shoulder problems, a 12 ga. shotgun is not an option.

With shoulder pain being a factor, I would think the slow push of .45 ACP would be more comfortable for you than any of those other higher velocity rounds.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
With shoulder pain being a factor, I would think the slow push of .45 ACP would be more comfortable for you than any of those other higher velocity rounds.

I remember being surprised by this years ago...I like the .40 because of mag capacity but as far as shooting "comfort" go I prefer a .45. The .40 is...How shall I put it?...Kinda "snappy". :chuckle:

The .45 ACP has always been a pleasant round for me to shoot, especially the 230 grain. The reason I got rid of my first 1911 in favor of a Sig P220 was GI sights versus Sig sights. The Sig P220 is pleasant to shoot, like a well made 1911. But I missed the 1911 platform and later added Colt Commander and Sig full size carry 1911 with night sights. The P220 and a Glock 30SF have been to the range, but the 1911s have not. I haven't shot a gun since my shoulder started acting up. The doctor says it's a torn rotator cuff, but until I have an MRI there's no absolute proof. I can always shoot left-handed. I'm slower but more accurate, don't know why.

Left eye dominant perhaps?
No, right eye dominant. When I shoot left-handed, I shoot cross-dominant. I try to shoot and aim with both eyes open, but sometimes I have to half close my left eye to avoid confusion. My vision is better in my left eye, even though I'm right eye dominant.