GUNS!

Just don't fall for the Mobil 1 hype. It is way overpriced, and not as good as Penzoil Platnum. Now that is something you probably didn't think you would read. Penzoil and Quaker State are not Pennsylvania crude oil any more.

Mobile 1 used to be a group 4 synthetic. Not anymore. They are now group 3 just like most.
And while you're in the Automotive section of Wal-Mart, pick up a spare oil filter or two. They make decent silencers when using subsonic ammo. At least, that's what I heard.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I clean my black powder guns with soap and water and put them in the oven, on warm, to dry. Some of the old timers recommended canola oil to lube it with after. Seems to work pretty well.

Yeah same here, but mine are too long for the oven :) , that's the way to go for black powder. At home I usually remove the barrel and put the breech end into a bowl of soapy water, (or a water/Black-Solve mix) and run a patched cleaning jag up and down several times which sucks the water up and down the bore and flushes them really good. For cleaning in camp I jam a small twig into the flash hole to seal it (or just hold my finger over it if a friend is handy to help pour the water) and fill the barrel about half way with water then cover the muzzle with my thumb and shake it and dump it out several times. Then I dry them good and hit them with Rem Oil typically. I have used wd-40 in the past but not regularly. Sounds like it is not the way to go.

I looked at Makarovs and Tokarevs but didn't buy one. Serbia is now making a 9 mm updated Tokarev that looked and felt quite nice. The store I was in had them for $309.00 (new). The magazine was single stack and not interchangeable with the 7.62 mm x 25 mm mags. Extra mags might be a little hard to find but I did find some doing a Google search. The Bulgarian Makarovs have seen a lot of use and their price seemed too high. The standard Tokarevs were only slightly cheaper than the new 9 mm one but I really hate the addon safety, although they're better than some of the others.

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:) They are both awesome handguns for the money. As with most eastern block firearms the country of manufacture has alot to do with it's value/quality. +- $300.00 for one in good condition is an average price.

7.62X25 is an excellent caliber IMHO...Crazy velocity for a handgun round. :thumb:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Anyone with any personal experience with Makarov or Tokarev pistols?

I have a .380acp Makarov, it looks like a PPK knock-off. I've probably only shot it 100-150-ish times. They have a good reputation for being dependable. It's a bit heavy for carrying in a pants pocket but not too bad. I think mine was around 270.00 new but that was about ten years ago.

:) They are both awesome handguns for the money. As with most eastern block firearms the country of manufacture has alot to do with it's value/quality. +- $300.00 for one in good condition is an average price.

7.62X25 is an excellent caliber IMHO...Crazy velocity for a handgun round. :thumb:
I have a CZ 52 which I love to shoot. I was looking for another platform for the 7.62 x 25. That's what got me looking at Jugoslavian Tokarevs. Used in reasonble good condition, they're under $300, but not by much. The Romanian Tokarevs with a horrible addon safety are about $225. I already have a PPK and a PPK/S, so maybe the Makarov is a bad idea. I don't need another calibre to buy ammo for.

I have a .380acp Makarov, it looks like a PPK knock-off. I've probably only shot it 100-150-ish times. They have a good reputation for being dependable. It's a bit heavy for carrying in a pants pocket but not too bad. I think mine was around 270.00 new but that was about ten years ago.
I think the three Bulgarian Makarovs were about $280 - $290. They looked like they've seen a lot of use.

jimfoxy

I don't understand how the bullet does not drop. Seems that the laws of physics would say otherwise.
I understand that it doesn't appear to drop, and even that puzzles me.
Sounds like a neat old rifle.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I don't understand how the bullet does not drop. Seems that the laws of physics would say otherwise.
I understand that it doesn't appear to drop, and even that puzzles me.
Sounds like a neat old rifle.

Yes it drops, yes it appears to drop and no, you do not know much about how bullets act.

Bah! You can never have too many guns. :plain:
I agree with that, but adding a new caliber in 9 x 18 is another thing. I already have guns for: .22LR, .25 ACP, 7.62 x 25, .32 S&W Short, .380 ACP, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223 (5.56), and 7.62 x 39. I'm leaning slightly towards the 9 mm Serbian Tokarev. It's new, has a capacity of (9+1) and looks and feels like a Tokarev with a well made safety, not an add-on. Or maybe I'll wait.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
25 ACP is almost useless, 22 lr as more energy, unless you are a pimp, and even those punks carry '32 gun in pocket for fun' Get a Desert Eagle in 50 A&E and buy a spare 44 mag barrel, then you have something!

You want a gold trim one, you might be able to talk me into selling?

I would like two matching 45s with gold like in the film "Faceoff"

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I agree with that, but adding a new caliber in 9 x 18 is another thing. I already have guns for: .22LR, .25 ACP, 7.62 x 25, .32 S&W Short, .380 ACP, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223 (5.56), and 7.62 x 39. I'm leaning slightly towards the 9 mm Serbian Tokarev. It's new, has a capacity of (9+1) and looks and feels like a Tokarev with a well made safety, not an add-on. Or maybe I'll wait.

You need a Mosin Nagant too. :plain: