LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ya'll need a song with this thread ....

smilie_drink3.gif
gun-toot-smiley.gif

Drinkin' Beer and Wastin' Bullets

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
The 6.8 SPC crowd pointed me in that direction. They use it on feral hogs, as they come with heavy armor. :plain:

Never had the need to go to heavy artillery with pigs? But then I never saw or even understand the "heavy armor" comment.

One well placed round is all that I have ever needed when hunting an animal, maybe it is the physiological fear of any animal that has a reputation/ability for attacking its predator, but then I've never had a hog attempt to attack, have heard people say (and have seen videos purporting this) that they do?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One well placed round is all that I have ever needed when hunting an animal, maybe it is the physiological fear of any animal that has a reputation/ability for attacking its predator, but then I've never had a hog attempt to attack, have heard people say (and have seen videos purporting this) that they do?

They say stalking hogs is like stalking turkey. Not easy. Thankfully, being invasive, many states allow feeding to get good shoots.

Me said:
The Saudi Arabian government is going to field the LWRC in 6.8 SPC.

LWRC is now giving some details, since the word was leaked.

Darren_LWRCI said:
Hey Guys, its Darren@LWRCI hoping to sort out some of the speculation on this. Just to keep it tidy, I will start a new thread, probably tomorrow. I can answer some of your questions in that thread.

You may as well stop speculating about SPCI or SPCII chambers. The military ammunition that is being produced is for an SPCII chamber. However the powder blends they have experimented with from experience with other programs LR318 etc. have so far allowed very good MV's without exceeding max pressures called out in the SAAMI spec. This is very important if you want ammunition to safely work in a theater of operations where ammunition can get up to 160 degrees F. Robert is right, there is a ceiling for this and every cartridge unless you build a gun that weighs 50 lbs. For commercial ammo, they really have to be tied to a specification, so they either adopt the standing spec, or we create a SAAMI spec together and get it registered with SAAMI. I can't speak on their behalf on this issue or any issue.

There is nothing SAAMI about the guns they are developing the ammo for, they are SPCII chambers, 1/10 due to the short barrel length and requirement for max rotational velocity, and 6 groove as opposed to four.

I have never really been to this forum, so I do not know the culture here. Take it easy on me and understand I can't and won't share every piece of information. I also am not going to spend time posting information here if people just want to argue, be combative, or want to take the piss out of me for entertainment value. I am not saying that is the culture here, but it can be par for the course on any internet forum. There is nothing to gain for us by posting here other than to educate and correct speculation. While ATK does have plans to sell 6.8 commercially, their priority is to get tooled up for large scale production for a contract. However, they intend to load at the capacity of the cell which is in the 150 mil rounds per year (eventually) and that far exceeds their contract requirement.

I also want to reiterate that not everybody has good information as evidenced by the original post. Not our commercial sales folks, not FED commercial sales folks. So if it is not coming from me, it is probably speculation and rumor. I can't speculate on what Fed might do, we are different companies.

If you guys can live with that, I will make an effort to answer some of the questions or speculation.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you could only have ONE handgun in all the world...unlimited ammunition...what would you choose?

Ok, I'll make it easier...

One hand gun and one long gun.

Keep in mind...in this hypothetical you have to choose based on hunting and self defense and everything else you may need a weapon for.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
If you could only have ONE handgun in all the world...unlimited ammunition...what would you choose?

Keep in mind...in this hypothetical you have to choose based on hunting and self defense and everything else you may need a weapon for.

S&W Model 686

&

Ithaca Model 37 Shotgun (12ga.)

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber

If our world situation has not changed I would still maintain my AR 223 and a 45 ACP.

If it has changed and hunting for survival is a point, then it would be a 12 gauge with a goose barrel, interchanging the needed ammo (shot/slugs) for the game being stalked and my 45 ACP.

Now if you throw in the question of terrain and an opposing force......:chuckle: .... well, you get the idea!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
If our world situation has not changed I would still maintain my AR 223 and a 45 ACP.

If it has changed and hunting for survival is a point, then it would be a 12 gauge with a goose barrel, interchanging the needed ammo (shot/slugs) for the game being stalked and my 45 ACP.

Now if you throw in the question of terrain and an opposing force......:chuckle: .... well, you get the idea!

Yeah...I would have chosen the .223 long gun also if it were a matter of defense only (not that you can't hunt with a .223). With the stipulation of them being the only firearms you would ever have I figured I'd better focus on reliability and durability over all with a high servicablility factor for both hunting and self defense. :idunno:

1911 .45 is a good choice on the durability/combat factor for sure but I opted for a wheelgun instead...to each his own. :chuckle:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Yeah...I would have chosen the .223 long gun also if it were a matter of defense only (not that you can't hunt with a .223). With the stipulation of them being the only firearms you would ever have I figured I'd better focus on reliability and durability over all with a high servicablility factor for both hunting and self defense. :idunno:

1911 .45 is a good choice on the durability/combat factor for sure but I opted for a wheelgun instead...to each his own. :chuckle:

Not a thing wrong with the S&W 686 wheelgun, have one in the safe, just enjoy the 45 ACP in both the Old combat 1911 (8rds) and the XD 45 ACP due to its large capacity (13rds) magazines. Old habits are hard to break!

The only reason I would change from the AR .223 to the 12 gauge shotgun (with a goose barrel) would be if I had to hunt for survival, it would give me a wider range of critters to shoot for being able to change shot/slug...it can be done but it is difficult to bring down a goose at high altitude on the fly or a squirrel on the run with the AR.

I like eating daily! :D