GUNS!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was shown the next video some time back. With high speed video, you can see what really happens. They are shooting steel plates if you wonder why some of the bullets "splatter". I think some of the plates are armor, and some of the rounds were armor piercing. The video was for actual testing purposes from what I was told.

You might want to turn down the gay techno.

slow motion

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anybody want to take out a second mortgage?

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos12/jan/4586riam60121511.html

10-4586 ROCK ISLAND ARMORY (RIA) M-60 7.62x51mm NATO BELT FED MACHINE GUN (GPMG)...THIS IS AN AS NEW/NEW EXAMPLE OF AN M-60 MACHINE GUN WE JUST BROUGHT IN FROM NORTHERN AZ WITH 53 OTHER NFA ITEMS..... THE M60 WAS THE WORK HORSE, GENERAL PURPOSE BELT FED MACHINE GUN DURING THE WAR IN S.E. ASIA AND IS STILL IN USE TODAY WITH THE U.S. MILITARY IN THE MIDDLE EAST..... THE M60 HAS BEEN USED BY MANY NATO COUNTRIES AND IS STILL IN USE TODAY BY MANY, INCLUDING THE US MILITARY... THE M60 IS A SUPER COOL SHOOTING FIREARM WHICH CAN BE FIRED FROM THE SHOULDER, BIPOD, TRIPOD, VEHICLE MOUNTS OF ALL TYPES, BOATS, AIR CRAFT (IF YOU ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE ONE) AND FROM THE HIP (RAMBO STYLE)... THIS GUN COMES FROM THE COLLECTION OF CLASS THREE DEALER/COLLECTOR WHO PURCHASED THIS M60 AND SEVERAL OTHER MACHINE GUNS IN THE LATE 1990's/2000's AS AN ADDITION TO HIS COLLECTION AS WELL AS FOR INVESTMENT... THIS GUN STILL LOOKS NEW INSIDE AND OUT... WE WERE PLEASED TO PURCHASE THIS GUN AND ALL THE OTHERS FROM THIS COLLECTION.... THIS RIA M60 IS A SUPER GUN SELDOM COMING ON THE MARKET TODAY IN THIS CONDITION, AND IS GETTING HARDER AND HARDER TO FIND...IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR AN M60 THIS GUN WILL FIT THE BILL.... THE M-60 MACHINE GUN CAN ALSO BE CONFIGURED IN MANY WAYS WITH THE ADDITION OF SIMPLE TO SWAP ON CONVERSION KITS, TO MAKE A COMMANDO E3 OR E4 AS WELL AS A DOOR GUN TYPE M-60D SPADE GRIP TYPE FIREARM... MANY OF THESE PARTS ARE IN STOCK, MAKING THE M-60 A VERY VERSATILE WEAPON SYSTEM.... MANY ACCESSORIES AVAILABLE AND IN STOCK, SUCH AS TRIPODS, CONVERSION KITS, SPARE BBLS AND OTHER ITEMS SUCH AS SUPPRESSORS... COMPLETE WITH A BOX OF LINKS AND PADDED M60 SLING. MINT/MINT

The last time I saw one sold privately it went for $30,000 USD.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/02/marine-corps-to-decide-on-new-45-caliber-pistol-022112/

The Marine Corps is closer to knowing who will manufacture its new .45-caliber M45 Close Quarters Battle Pistol, and could make a decision about the program’s future by spring, Marine officials said.

The semiautomatic weapon will be fielded to elite Marines in force reconnaissance and Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command. The service could buy between 400 and 12,000 of them as part of a contract worth up to $22.5 million, officials have said. The current requirement is for about 4,000 pistols.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
RRA1.jpg

RRA2.jpg

RRA3.jpg

RRA4.jpg

RRA5.jpg

RRA6.jpg

RRA7.jpg

3/4 MOA, and 1773 lbs of muzzle energy. And it carries a lethal load out to 600 meters. (440 lbs)

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Yep...If there ever was a solution in search of a problem....that's it. :plain:
You don't like it. Not your style? :think: I figure you more for this.

By the way, I never thanked you. I haven't made a Box O Truth yet, but I have recorded two videos for uplink: 1. Potato Canon and 2. Mossberg 500, Springfield Sigma 9mm. Next (and I'm saving up milk carton targets with red dye--don't ask) we may pull out the PS 90 and something else else. These videos are extremely exciting. :plain: All thanks to your idea. :thumb:

Last edited:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
You don't like it. Not your style? :think:

It's just too "novelty" for my taste. Just kind of an impractical weapon. :idunno:

I figure you more for this.

:plain: Actually, while I do have respect for Eugene Stoners design, I'm more attracted to the simplicity and durability of the Kalashnikov.

ak_anim.gif

Truly it is the only good thing (in spite of all the nastybad people who use it) to ever come out of Communism.

:think:

Except maybe for Putin...;)

By the way, I never thanked you. I haven't made a Box O Truth yet, but I have recorded two videos for uplink: 1. Potato Canon and 2. Mossberg 500, Springfield Sigma 9mm. Next (and I'm saving up milk carton targets with red dye--don't ask) we may pull out the PS 90 and something else else. These videos are extremely exciting. :plain: All thanks to your idea. :thumb:

:e4e:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
It's just too "novelty" for my taste.
It is pretty stupid. :dizzy:

"Actually, while I do have respect for Eugene Stoners design, I'm more attracted to the simplicity and durability of the Kalashnikov."
:think:

The animation makes me think of this app.

"Truly it is the only good thing (in spite of all the nastybad people who use it) to ever come out of Communism...Except maybe for Putin..."
Next subject... :shocked:

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Silver State Armory said:
AT SSA we publish our velocity numbers on the low side while some publish higher numbers just to have customers prove them wrong. SSA wants to be known as a preforence ammunition manufacturer and some weapons weak of heart will have issue's, but to be honest that is not our problem (I am talking about commercailly made weapons). Those of you who build your own weapon this forum is a great place to gain knowledge from others. Even though you can follow someone else build step by step you may not get the exact same results and will have to tweak things somewhat.

SAAMI max pressure for the 6.8 and .223 is 55,000 PSI. But Military Max for the M855 (5.56) is 58,700 PSI and we are using the 58,700 PSI for our Max on our Tac Loads. Here is where a DI system is more forgiving than some piston system. If a piston is not properly tuned the OP rod will flex because the case is still under high pressure not allowing the bolt to rotate and release. The OP rod will take a set from the constent Flexing or actually break as one had to us. Hot rounds cries the weapon manufacturer HMMMM say's SSA as no one else has an issue and our Ballatics lab say's pressures are within safe levels. OOPS got of course, but some more information to those who may have experiemce a problem.

Art - SSA

The discussion was not DI versus piston. He was just making an exmaple of ammunition and low quality rifles.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://usarmorment.com/pdf/M855A1.pdf

And the rebuttal.

DocGKR said:
Sorry, but I am not impressed. M855A1 EPR would make nice linked MG ammo, but is NOT my first choice for a carbine or rifle. It doesn't help that the recent Big Army briefings on the topic are filled with misleading statements and outright falsehoods. For example, in the public briefing shown above:

Page 2 touts match like accuracy for M855A1 EPR, yet the acceptance standard allows for up to 5.5 MOA accuracy—hardly match like. In contrast, Mk318 has a 2 MOA acceptance standard.

Page 3 seems impressive, but fails to offer details.

Page 4 is worrisome, as it indicates that M855A1 EPR has a higher chamber pressure compared with current M855. Port pressure on the M4 is already too high, what is the increased chamber/port pressure of M855A1 EPR going to do to bolt life and barrel life on M4’s? How come Army ammo is only getting flash suppressed in 2010? Why wasn’t this incorporated for the past 50 years?

Page 5 is partially true, as M855A1 EPR is indeed less yaw dependent than M855, but then so is Mk318. The 7.62 mm comparison is a bit misleading; for example, to which version of M80 ball are they referring, the steel jacket or the copper jacket, as terminal performance is different.

Page 6 is highly inaccurate, as it states that both M855A1 EPR and M855 have good performance against car windows, yet this is patently untrue. Likewise it states that both M855A1 EPR and M855 offer good accuracy—this is not always correct, as some recent lots of M855 have been pushing 6 MOA. It also states that both M855A1 EPR and M855 have a trajectory match with M856 trace—this is not true, as all three cartridges offer different trajectories, as has been demonstrated by previous Doppler radar tracking and accuracy testing. Some Army sources have stated that units are NOT required to re-zero when transitioning to M855A1 EPR; this is a gross error of judgment that could result in needless fatalities.

Page 7 does not accurately reflect the trajectory differences between the various rounds due to the truncated scale—it would be better to provide the numerical data recorded when actually shooting the various cartridges side-by-side at different distances. Let's take an M16A4 or M4 and set a target out at 500-600; then we will shoot 10 rounds of M855, 10 rounds of M856, and 10 rounds of M855A1 EPR and compare the POA/POI for each cartridge type--guess what, they will NOT be the same. So much for having the same trajectory...

Page 8 illustrates the POOR terminal performance characteristics of M855A1 EPR against automobile windshields—look how the projectile has fragmented into separate pieces after first hitting the windshield; it is galling that the briefing tries to make this sound like a good thing by claiming it increases the probability of a hit. True barrier blind projectiles do NOT come apart like M855A1 EPR. Notice that no actual gel photos or wound profiles are included.

Page 9 implies that 5.56 mm M855A1 EPR offers better terminal performance than a 7.62 mm projectile—this may be true when comparing EPR from 2010 against 1950’s era technology like M80 FMJ, but not if a true apples-to-apples comparison is made against a modern 7.62 mm cartridge. For example compare M855A1 EPR against M80A1 EPR or Mk319. Page 9 also states that M855A1 EPR can defeat soft Kevlar armor rated against handguns—yet most center rifle projectiles can defeat soft armor. It also implies that M855A1 EPR can also penetrate some Level III armor; this is true, as M855A1 EPR can defeat compressed polyethelene hard armor plates, of course current M855 already does that. What M855A1 EPR cannot accomplish is penetrating current eSAPI armor. If we go into combat against a true peer competitor nation who issues equivalent hard armor, M855A1 EPR is going to be useless.

Page 10: M855A1 EPR does penetrate steel and cinder block better than M855.

Page 11 has nothing to do with terminal ballistics, but is correct, as far as it goes.

Page 12: M855A1 EPR is generally more accurate than M855, but as noted, both share the same accuracy standard; if the Army is really believes M855A1 EPR is more accurate, why not adopt a tighter accuracy standard like as required in the Mk318 or Mk262 contracts?

Page 13 repeats the comments that M855A1 EPR offers better performance than M80 ball, but that is not a fair comparison, as previously stated.

The M855A1 EPR program is a damning indictment of the utter FAILURE of the Army procurement system to rapidly and effectively respond to the needs of our Nations troops—especially in time of war. This incomplete briefing is flawed at best, insulting at worst. Why has it taken over a decade and hundreds of millions of tax payer funds to develop what is essentially a product improved 1960’s era Bronze Tip bullet? How come M855A1 EPR costs twice as much as Mk318 and is also more expensive than even Mk262 and 70 gr Optimal/brown tip?

There are other serious and significant issues that are not touched on in this public briefing; suffice to say that there are good reasons why the Marine Corps and USSOCOM are issuing Mk318 Mod0 and not M855A1 EPR.