ECT Grace: God isn't mad at sin, or just isn't doing anything about it at the moment?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Do you mean that Catholics never preach the Gospel? I agree almost completely, but there are some exceptions, and those preachers, IMO, are the most compelling evangelists for certain audiences, among them very deep thinking Protestants, that are out there.
Sins divide between grave sins and light sins, and whether their penalty due us for them, is eternal, or only temporal (believers/Christians). We deserve both eternal and temporal punishment for our sins, but Christ has offered us effectively a plenary indulgence wrt the eternal punishments, penalties, and consequences, for both our light and grave sins. We still owe temporal debts, unless those are forgiven, and that is what an indulgence is. It is forgiveness of temporal debts, indulgence is not of an eternal nature. Indulgences can help those souls in purgatory now, and those souls who have not reached purgatory yet, and unbelievers, since even unbelievers can be forgiven their temporal debts they have incurred for their sins.
The Bible makes no such division. That is a man-made doctrine.
You describe yourself perfectly.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Me:paul also says 1st Corinthians 3:15 (KJV):
Why would a believer suffer loss, given that they are perfect in Christ? I agree that we are perfect in Christ, and I believe in purgatory. Scripture supports both, to my eyes.
You have that skewed.

The loss referred to there is the loss of rewards; which is the issue of various ranks and privileges that are an aspect of one's service within the Kingdom of Heaven in Glory one day.

There is the Inheritance, or Eternal Life.

And that is settled.

And then there is the Reward of the Inheritance (of said Inheritance).

It is comprised of various ranks and priveleges within the various offices of service in God's Kingdom in Heaven itself.

The Judgment Seat of Christ will determine who will be rewarded with what rank and what privelege, and who will be rewarded with less, that is; who will suffer loss of what could have been a greater rank and or reward as a servant in the service of God, in His Kingdom, that could have been his and unto the Son's glory in our glory, but for one's chosen values, words, and conduct in the here and now.

Values, words, and conduct, here will impact that then.

Values, words and conduct becoming of a son of God will work an eternal weight of glory, or in Glory now, and unto that day in Glory when said weight of glory will be revealed so as by the fire of the Lord's rightly divided Word.

Values, words and conduct becoming the course of this world will result in loss of said rewards.
Is that a common view, or are you unique in this matter among Dispensationalists? I'm never surprised when I learn how deeply Dispensationalists think about the faith, so it's unsurprising that you've provided such a thorough interpretation of 1st Corinthians 3:15 (KJV) that does not include purgatory, but it does lend itself to the honest question, Could this explanation be purgatory? Maybe the loss of rewards isn't like getting passed over for promotion, but can be physical torment?
It is an ever fascinating study all on its own - this study of what Heaven and its Glory will be like.

Just a matter of catching a glimpse of it in the Scripture rightly divided, followed by determining to study out all that the Scripture says about it, not only in word, but also in similarity in function with the much more detailed description of the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth described in Scripture.

For the things not seen are understood by the things that are
That's one reason the sacraments are a thing, and why they are important, that could've been the Catholic Church saying this about the sacraments. The sacraments are at once temporal and eternal, heaven and earth meet in a unique way in the sacraments. We can see heaven with our eyes.
, so that one is without excuse as to why one is unaware of what's what in Scripture as to these things...that differ.

Admittedly, it is Advanced Mid-Acts.

Thus, one has to at least come to a place where one's Mid-Acts schematic is basically up and running, and then some.

But even Darby saw some of these things before he was "Dispensational" - so its not like these things are not in the Scripture for anyone willing [to] seek them out, to begin to understand them.

What little Darby had understood about this very issue was exactly what caused him to begin to break away more and more from the traditions of men.
I'm 100% unfamiliar directly with Darby's work. I have to take others' word for it about whatever he wrote or did not write.
Nihilo, put away your Catechism.
No way. It's the answer manual. The teachers edition. Literally---that's what the Catechism is, it's called that, not in so many words, by Pope St. John Paul, because he said that it's addressed "primarily" to all the bishops/elders of the Church. The Catechism is what they, the official teachers of the Church, are supposed to be teaching. It's like the Church's teaching playbook, to borrow a notion from football. Whenever any Catholic bishop has taught anything that seemed to contradict the Catechism, they are confronted, and corrected if need be.
Try the Bible alone, for a good two or three years...to begin with.
I did that at least three times, but maybe more. But three at least, definitely.
Nevertheless, Romans 5:8 towards you.
Thank you.
For that passage is not so much about the Cross as it is about what one's perspective towards life and others can now be, because of the Cross.

Thus, though I strongly disagree with various of your stated, nevertheless, Christ died for both our foul ups.

So the Grace of Romans 5 towards you in the hope that you come to that Grace for you that cost the Son His Life in your stead.

Put away your treadmill and get to committing to memory Gal. 3:1-3 and verse 5.

Then get to believing those passages.
I do believe those passages.

musterion

Paul also says 1st Corinthians 3:15 (KJV):
Why would a believer suffer loss, given that they are perfect in Christ?

Rewards. Just as believers (of which you are not at this time) can risk not inheriting the Kingdom of God. Paul says they've already been translated INTO that Kingdom, but INHERITING it is evidently a separate matter.

I agree that we are perfect in Christ, and I believe in purgatory. Scripture supports both, to my eyes.

No it does not. If one is perfectly righteous in Christ and forgiven ALL trespasses, and is counted as separated by death from his flesh, and has been 100% justified in Christ, then there's nothing left to purge. God has dealt with ALL sin at the cross and there's nothing left.

Sorry, but if the contradiction isn't obvious to you, you're beyond help. Meanwhile, you're stuffing confusion into the mouth of God.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That's a childish comment.

If it's in the Bible.... show us.
My case for purgatory, is at least on the same level, as that 1st Timothy 3:15 (KJV) means Dispensationalism is correct. :idunno:

Edit: Whoops! I proofread and noticed that I posted the verse from 1st Timothy that means Catholicism is correct (1Ti3:15KJV), instead of the verse from 1st Timothy that means Dispensationalism is correct (1Ti2:15KJV). :doh: :D

Edit #2: :doh: again. It's 2nd Timothy 2:15 (KJV), that's supposed to mean Dispensationalism is correct, not 1Ti3:15KJV or 1Ti2:15KJV.

Right Divider

Body part
My case for purgatory, is at least on the same level, as that 1st Timothy 3:15 (KJV) means Dispensationalism is correct. :idunno:

Edit: Whoops! I proofread and noticed that I posted the verse from 1st Timothy that means Catholicism is correct (1Ti3:15KJV), instead of the verse from 1st Timothy that means Dispensationalism is correct (1Ti2:15KJV). :doh: :D

Edit #2: :doh: again. It's 2nd Timothy 2:15 (KJV), that's supposed to mean Dispensationalism is correct, not 1Ti3:15KJV or 1Ti2:15KJV.
Irrelevant...

Show us the scripture that divides sins into two categories.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Rewards. Just as believers (of which you are not at this time)
You're ridiculous.
can risk not inheriting the Kingdom of God. Paul says they've already been translated INTO that Kingdom, but INHERITING it is evidently a separate matter.
Why insert such a weak qualifying descriptor as "evidently?" It's not explicitly, or clearly a separate matter? :think: I wonder why not?
No it does not.
To your eyes. I said "to my eyes." We disagree, over something that isn't whether or not the Lord Jesus Christ is risen. :idunno: Paul would probably call this tiff a bad word, that'd trip TOL's censored.
If one is perfectly righteous in Christ and forgiven ALL trespasses, and is counted as separated by death from his flesh, and has been 100% justified in Christ, then there's nothing left to purge. God has dealt with ALL sin at the cross and there's nothing left.
The Church encourages Christians, when they find themselves suffering, to unite that suffering with the Lord's suffering on the cross.
Sorry, but if the contradiction isn't obvious to you, you're beyond help.
I'm not beyond help, and if a contradiction isn't clear, maybe someone skilled and talented in communication and in reading people, can shed some surgically precise light on it, so that it can't be missed?
Meanwhile, you're stuffing confusion into the mouth of God.
I'm doing no such thing, unless everybody else on TOL is doing that too. And even if you grant that, I would argue with you that Catholicism is the only Christian thing in this world, and everything that isn't Catholic right now, but is Christian, is attempting to make one giant invalid adverse possession claim against the Catholic Church, and it's invalid because the Church never abandoned anything, so an adverse possession claim is ipso facto invalid.

musterion

If two people are believing two contradictory pieces of good news but only one of those news is true, the news the other believes is false.

RD and I believe one gospel. You believe another. These gospels are incompatible and mutually exclusive.

Yes, each of us believes what we believe so in that sense you are a believer. But only one of us believes the good news of the God who doesn't author confusion. The one who doesn't is, from His perspective, an unbeliever.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
If two people are believing two contradictory pieces of good news but only one of those news is true, the news the other believes is false.
Agreed.
RD and I believe one gospel. You believe another. These gospels are incompatible and mutually exclusive.
Tell me what good news that I believe, and that you don't. Tell me what good news that you believe, and that I don't. Let's start there.
Yes, each of us believes what we believe so in that sense you are a believer.
I am a believer in one sense, and in one sense only; I believe Easter. Romans 10:9 (KJV)
But only one of us believes the good news of the God who doesn't author confusion.
And I would say that's me, and not you and RD.
The one who doesn't is, from His perspective, an unbeliever.
You and RD believe Easter. I believe Easter. We are both believers.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
If you would ever study the Bible you would know what this means
I have studied.
, but you don't.
Disagreed.
John was an Israelite under the law.
That's Dispensationalism. I don't accept Dispensationalism. I believe the Apostle John was a member of the Body of Christ; which is the Church of God.
Some sins in the OT had the death penalty, some did not.
The idea of a mortal sin is scriptural. Grave matter are those moral offenses worthy of the death penalty.

Right Divider

Body part
That's Dispensationalism. I don't accept Dispensationalism.
No, it is not. It's a fact.

I believe the Apostle John was a member of the Body of Christ; which is the Church of God.
The church of God includes both believers that were under the law and the body of Christ which is NOT under the law.

The idea of a mortal sin is scriptural. Grave matter are those moral offenses worthy of the death penalty.
If it were scriptural, you could show it.

Danoh

Nihilo, you have learned to perceive the teaching of purgatory as being in certain verses in Scripture.

That neither makes that so, or not.

You have yet to prove its teaching through the passages as a collective, as one voice.

That is what any doctrine or teaching is based on - a series of passages that together paint its picture - that is, when said passages are not ripped from each their shared scope, narrative, theme, context, subject, with all the rest - if - they even share one in common.

Case in point of another example where you go south on the Scripture...

In my above post to you, I noted that "the things not seen are understood by the things that are..."

You replied:

"That's one reason the sacraments are a thing, and why they are important, that could've been the Catholic Church saying this about the sacraments. The sacraments are at once temporal and eternal, heaven and earth meet in a unique way in the sacraments. We can see heaven with our eyes."

In contrast, I had had in mind various passages of Scripture that clearly depict various images of the things of God that are not seen.

I had been referring to other passages - not to a man made "sacrament" nor to the "graven image" that is a "crucifix."

The difference between simply citing Romans 5:8, and posting a "graven image" of someone up on a cross.

In this case, the things not seen - The Cross 2,000 years ago - is understood by the things made - The Word of Truth on said Cross - or Romans 5:8.

Note the same in the following..

2 Peter 1:15 Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance. 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Though he had personally known the Lord; though he had personally walked and talked and eaten with Him; and had been able to rely on the things seen that had been His miracles, etc., he focuses his readers on the "more sure word of prophecy" as to how they might see the things not seen.

In contrast, the RCC made a huge deal - even of said "dead man's bones..."

We are not on the same page, Ni; not where how we each approach the attempt to properly understand these things is concerned.

Nevertheless, Romans 5:8 towards you.

Because, as the Lord had proved by His Own Life's; Death's; Resurrection's example - calling someone out on a thing does not necessarily mean one does not care about said individual's welfare.