ECT Grace: God isn't mad at sin, or just isn't doing anything about it at the moment?

glorydaz

We'll see if inheriting the Kingdom is automatic regardless of the believer's run of the race.

Run so that you may win the prize...or run knowing you've already won it? Pick one.

I run knowing I've already won it. Wonderful assurance....Jesus is mine.

Oh, what prize are we talking about here?

I forgot.

Danoh

Do you really believe the Corinthians were being deceived into thinking unbelievers could inherit the Kingdom? No.

Were many of those very sins being practiced in the Corinthian church? Yes.

Not the point.

Rather, he is addressing the obvious fact that they had deceived themselves.

They had rationalized there was nothing wrong with their obviously very unbecoming conduct.

Their self-deception is a constant throughout his many words to them.

God's Truth

We'll see if inheriting the Kingdom is automatic regardless of the believer's run of the race.

Run so that you may win the prize...or run knowing you've already won it? Pick one.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know you not that they who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? So run, that you may obtain.

God's Truth

Do you really believe the Corinthians were being deceived into thinking unbelievers could inherit the Kingdom? No.

Were many of those very sins being practiced in the Corinthian church? Yes.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

Looks to me like you have to obey or you won't inherit the kingdom.

musterion

Not the point.

Is.

Rather, he is addressing the obvious fact that they had deceived themselves.

Correct. They'd deceived themselves into thinking they could engage in all their old flesh sins without cost. SOMETHING was clearly at risk for THEM and Paul makes it clear what it was. Not salvation, not justification; those are secured in Christ. Their [our] inheritance in the Kingdom is a different matter.

Their self-deception is a constant throughout his many words to them.

Yes, because they risked not inheriting the Kingdom.

Fact: the lost don't stand to "not inherit." They have no inheritance to lose because they're not children of God so long as they're in unbelief. Only a child can stand to inherit, and also be disinherited if that is the father's will.

Observe further, from Galatians:

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Read this whole chapter again. It's to and entirely about BELIEVERS.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5176986

Last edited:

glorydaz

Read this whole chapter again. It's to and about BELIEVERS.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5176986

This reminds me of the all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient verse.

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.​

However, Paul makes it clear that we will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh, because we do, in fact, walk in the Spirit. We live according to the Spirit and not the flesh as per Romans 8.

Lusts are fulfilled when wilfully sought out and committed. I don't believe that is true of the members of the body of Christ. We don't opt to do wrong nor do we think we have the right to do so. We don't set out to make any occasion for our flesh. That's what some accuse grace believers of having...... a license to sin. That simply doesn't fit the believer, and motive is always the determiner. Fulfill is top to bottom...front to back....all in all.

Just a thought....not really addressing this issue, probably, but what came to mind when reading through this chapter.

musterion

This reminds me of the all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient verse.
Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.​

However, Paul makes it clear that we will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh, because we do, in fact, walk in the Spirit. We live according to the Spirit and not the flesh as per Romans 8.

Lusts are fulfilled when wilfully sought out and committed. I don't believe that is true of the members of the body of Christ. We don't opt to do wrong nor do we think we have the right to do so. We don't set out to make any occasion for our flesh. That's what some accuse grace believers of having...... a license to sin. That simply doesn't fit the believer, and motive is always the determiner. Fulfill is top to bottom...front to back....all in all.

Fornication, lust, theft, etc, cannot ever, in any context, be lawful. God is still holy and sin is still sin. For the believer to engage in those things is to engage Christ in them, for we are His Body. We are in Him and He is in us.

That (imo) is why Paul several times exhorts us to be mentally putting off the old man (who positionally/judicially is already put off in Christ), to put to death our members here on this earth, etc. For me, those exhortations align perfectly with the warning that our inheritance in the Kingdom (but not our citizenship) can be forfeited. They need not be, but they can be. Else the warnings don't make sense.

Sorry for repeating myself again:

Our inhabiting the Kingdom is tied to our oneness in Christ; it is vouchsafed in Him, sealed and irrevocable. Where He is, we are, now and forever.

But our inheritance in the Kingdom depends on how we run the race. The result...glory or shame...crowns won or lost...ashes or or eternal wealth...is our choice. And bad doctrine ensures massive loss, even if one is saved.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Can believers practice unrighteousness?

Paul:

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of
unrighteousness unto sin:

Peter:

And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;
They'd deceived themselves into thinking they could engage in all their old flesh sins without cost.
Fornication, lust, theft, etc, cannot ever, in any context, be lawful. God is still holy and sin is still sin.
Col 2:18

Let no man beguile you of your reward.
This is very good work you're doing.

musterion

Salvation is not a reward. Forgiveness is not a reward. Justification is not a reward. So whatever the reward is that the believer can be defrauded of (which he has to participate in, if it happens) it is not salvation or anything directly related to it.

It's something else...a reward that can be earned on an entirely different basis, and on that same basis, lost.

I don't see where Paul ever explicitly says what specific rewards await faithful believers, but he did remind both the Corinthians (carnal) and Galatians (bad doctrine) that their inheritance can be at risk based on carnality and bad doctrine.

And there again, Paul never clearly says, as far as I know, exactly what the believer's inheritance will entail. Judging angels might be a clue...a position of authority earned by one's faithfulness to Christ, the indwelling hope of glory, while awaiting Him.

Perhaps the rewards and the inheritance are the same.

So in short...2 Tim 2:12-13.

If you endure in faithfulness to the very heart of the revelation of the mystery, you get rewarded with an inheritance that includes co-reigning with Him in authority over the Kingdom.

Not as faithful, or unfaithful? He will remain faithful to you and never lose you, for you are bought by His blood. But He will deny you what could have been your reward...your inheritance and position in the Kingdom...because you denied Him here.

If this does not make sense...if this isn't the race Paul urges us all to run and to win...why not?

Danoh

Salvation is not a reward. Forgiveness is not a reward. Justification is not a reward. So whatever the reward is that the believer can be defrauded of (which he has to participate in, if it happens) it is not salvation or anything directly related to it.

It's something else...a reward that can be earned on an entirely different basis, and on that same basis, lost.

I don't see where Paul ever explicitly says what specific rewards await faithful believers, but he did remind both the Corinthians (carnal) and Galatians (bad doctrine) that their inheritance can be at risk based on carnality and bad doctrine.

And there again, Paul never clearly says, as far as I know, exactly what the believer's inheritance will entail. Judging angels might be a clue...a position of authority earned by one's faithfulness to Christ, the indwelling hope of glory, while awaiting Him.

Perhaps the rewards and the inheritance are the same.

So in short...2 Tim 2:12-13.

If you endure in faithfulness to the very heart of the revelation of the mystery, you get rewarded with an inheritance that includes co-reigning with Him in authority over the Kingdom.

Not as faithful, or unfaithful? He will remain faithful to you and never lose you, for you are bought by His blood. But He will deny you what could have been your reward...your inheritance and position in the Kingdom...because you denied Him here.

If this does not make sense...if this isn't the race Paul urges us all to run and to win...why not?

Take this how you will, but you have often struck me as having based one or another of your various assertions on one thing or another, on someone else's take on a thing.

And your above is no exception - thus far, every point within your stated view on the above has smacked of conclusions you read "about" in a book "about" somewhere :chuckle:

Which is fine...to a point.

I myself am well aware there are at least three different views on the above within Mid-Acts.

But more important is what such things might help one see about what study principles may have been applied by the individual doing the asserting, that one might do well to either emulate, or strive to remain aware of the need to steer clear of.

And what such things might help one see about one's own overall consistency, or lack thereof, here and there; within one's own overall study approach.

For where that is off in any one area, it will tend to end one off in other areas, as well.

For even where your above may have all been the result of your own labor, these points nevertheless, stand.

Prov. 27:17
Neh. 8: 8, 12
Acts 17:11, 12

Rom. 5:8.

God's Truth

Is.

Correct. They'd deceived themselves into thinking they could engage in all their old flesh sins without cost. SOMETHING was clearly at risk for THEM and Paul makes it clear what it was. Not salvation, not justification; those are secured in Christ. Their [our] inheritance in the Kingdom is a different matter.

Are you kidding? The kingdom of heaven is salvation. Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone. See James 2:14,17, 20, 22, and 24.

God's Truth

The INHERITANCE is ETERNAL LIFE:

Matthew 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Luke 10:25[ The Parable of the Good Samaritan ] On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

The INHERITANCE is the REWARD.

Colossians 3:24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

That means the inheritance is the reward of eternal life.

We can see from the scriptures that the REWARD is the INHERITANCE of ETERNAL LIFE.

God's Truth

These scriptures say the inheritance is the kingdom of God.

Remember the scriptures I just gave in the previous post say the inheritance is a REWARD of ETERNAL LIFE.

Now see these scripture that say the inheritance is the kingdom, the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Matthew 25:34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.