Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Thunder's Muse

Wolf Creek 2:

What a piece of absolute crap. Once again masquerading under the banner of "based on real events", it's simply an excuse to up the ante on gore, violence and over the top effects to elevate the horrific killer of the first into some sort of almost 'heroic' stature along with cheesy "comic" one liners while he dispenses a brutal brand of killing. All of the menace and unsettling horror of the first is replaced with a trashy 'cashing in' as found with many sequels. Utterly unrealistic on a myriad levels with about the only positive aspect being the stunning scenery of the outback, something that actually aided the first one as it reflected the plight of those involved, not so in this...

Locke:

An ambitious film and far better than the the ^ if still a bit flawed IMO. It's basically a one man vehicle for Tom Hardy who pulls out a powerhouse of a performance as a man in a car, who for the duration of the film tries to sort a number of things out via phone while driving throughout. Due to a mistake he's made in his past, a number of personal events have to be addressed alongside an important business contract and the juxtaposition of his trying to handle both without unraveling does make for pretty riveting viewing at times. I'm just not sure it entirely works overall although the film is relatively short.

I LOVED Wolf Creek!!

The 'based on actual events' part is actually drawn from Australian Serial Killers, particularly Ivan Milat who killed tourists in a similarly sadistic manner and the Peter Falconio murder.

Although shot in South Oz, the middle of Australia is exactly like that...absolutely nothing and no one for kms.

I would never camp in that part of Australia like that and it wouldn't be from fearing the deadly animals.

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

Arthur Brain

I LOVED Wolf Creek!!

The 'based on actual events' part is actually drawn from Australian Serial Killers, particularly Ivan Milat who killed tourists in a similarly sadistic manner and the Peter Falconio murder.

Although shot in South Oz, the middle of Australia is exactly like that...absolutely nothing and no one for kms.

I would never camp in that part of Australia like that and it wouldn't be from fearing the deadly animals.

Oh, with the first one I got how it was based on real cases although even then I think it was more reason to create a pretty brutal and disturbing film and use that as an excuse to fabricate a concocted story out of it. The 'Two halves' of the first film made the dread and horror of the second half more palpable as the build up and characterization actually drew you into the film. The foreboding emptiness of the scenery really added to it during that segment, as the emptiness of it was almost as much a threat as Mick...

Wolf Creek 2 has 'Mick' as pretty much a cartoon villain all the way through and is so over the top it's just unbelievable. He might as well be Freddy Kreuger for how "realistic" things are...a total sell out as far as I'm concerned and it lost all of what made the original disturbing to start with.

Still, just my opinion an' all...:eek:

Thunder's Muse

Oh, with the first one I got how it was based on real cases although even then I think it was more reason to create a pretty brutal and disturbing film and use that as an excuse to fabricate a concocted story out of it. The 'Two halves' of the first film made the dread and horror of the second half more palpable as the build up and characterization actually drew you into the film. The foreboding emptiness of the scenery really added to it during that segment, as the emptiness of it was almost as much a threat as Mick...

Wolf Creek 2 has 'Mick' as pretty much a cartoon villain all the way through and is so over the top it's just unbelievable. He might as well be Freddy Kreuger for how "realistic" things are...a total sell out as far as I'm concerned and it lost all of what made the original disturbing to start with.

Still, just my opinion an' all...:eek:

Maybe it's an Aussie thing? :chuckle:

I was reading that the Director wanted to show that 'Aussies are essentially bigoted psychopaths'....:chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Australia is a safe place, you just gotta avoid Serial Killers, crocodiles, sharks, dingoes , red kangaroos, spiders, snakes, bushfires, cyclones, floods and drop bears :)

Oh, yeah, those drop bears are dangerous.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
One of my favorite films, one of my favorite film scenes, probably my favorite film line.
This film was filled with Christian themes. It would be interesting to look up the references on Google or Bing. When Luke finishes the 50 hard-boiled eggs he eats, his body is laid out in a posture of exhaustion that totally mirrors the images of Jesus on the cross.

George Kennedy (if I remember correctly) becomes the "God" to Luke's "Jesus."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Australia is a safe place, you just gotta avoid Serial Killers, crocodiles, sharks, dingoes , red kangaroos, spiders, snakes, bushfires, cyclones, floods and drop bears :)

I would like meeting the dingoes
What scares me most are spiders, not so much snakes, or crocodile, but defiantly spiders

Thunder's Muse

I would like meeting the dingoes

What scares me most are spiders, not so much snakes, or crocodile, but defiantly spiders

Yeah, Dingoes are gorgeous looking :)

We get lots of Red Back Spiders where we live. They are small so you gotta watch out for them.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Dingoes are gorgeous looking :)

We get lots of Red Back Spiders where we live. They are small so you gotta watch out for them.

Maybe that is what scares me, they are small, but some very poisonous.

I think i could earn a dingoes trust?

Thunder's Muse

Maybe that is what scares me, they are small, but some very poisonous.

I think i could earn a dingoes trust?

Well, the Aboriginals used Dingoes for hunting and companionship, so it's certainly possible :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
kermit%20and%20yoda.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The rumor mill is buzzing that JJ Abrams is not down with a movie full of green screen. He will use what he has to use but they want it back this way.

Spoiler
George%20Lucas.jpeg

Last edited:

whitestone

myself I like watching movies,but somehow or another I sure wish the filmmakers would stop saving money on the action scenes and making them so dark we cant see whats going on. I Guess they have to save money somewhere but the last few years almost every action movie ends at night or in a dark building,cave ect. and if the heroes didn't walk out into the light at the end none would know who won.,,,,,"HEY HOLLYWOOD WE'LL PAY AN EXTRA DOLLAR WHEN WE RENT IT IF WE CAN SEE IT!!!",,,

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I prefer the original story about the banking system and charging interest. :)