Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I finally saw The Long Ranger (with Johnny Depp as Tonto).

I kinda like that they made Silver a little mysterious.

Had some parts that really made me chuckle.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Took Jack to see Big Hero 6. It was well done, but a bit formulaic for me...I saw the villain at the outset and the rest was waiting while they did their best to push emotional buttons enough to give the whole thing gravitas, but it mostly failed for me, if gently. Jack liked it.

One of the things that bugged me was the whole San FranTokyo business, where it appears we lost WWII given how one sided that blending actually is...just rankled me and I don't think that taste ever quite left my mouth, though a decent popcorn helped. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope it is better than Noah. Noah as a movie was fine. I suppose. It just departed from Biblical history too far.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope it is better than Noah. Noah as a movie was fine. I suppose. It just departed from Biblical history too far.
Yeah.
I actually enjoyed the Noah movie, even though it took liberties with the story.

What I like about this new Exodus movie is that it seems to present Moses as an educated ruthless warrior, instead of a gentle old man with a halo around his head.

Watched a documentary several years ago that presented Moses as a military genius. I really enjoyed the perspective they gave.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Saw the Lone Ranger...there's actually a very good movie inside that mess of thing. The problem lies mostly with the lead. Not the actor, exactly, though he doesn't rise above the material he's handed, but with the way his character is written to begin with. He's meant, I think, to be presented as an idealist, but the way that idealism is presented makes him appear more disconnected and goofy. He won't take a gun though he's part of a posse chasing dangerous outlaws and despite having grown up in the west before heading east for a legal education. Later in the film he can't bring himself to shoot the man who literally cut the heart out of his brother...that gives you a little taste of the thing that ultimately sinks what could have been an extremely enjoyable and even touching homage.

Depp does a great job with the best role as an ancient Indian in 1933 San Francisco telling his tail of adventure and woe to a child at a fair who happens upon him in the exhibit room. The villains are passable, the love interest not bad and appropriately complicated, which only makes the dreaded Lone Ranger's paper thin rendering all the more painful to endure. Aside from a few idiotic gaffs in dialogue early, idiom and historical in nature, the rest of the writing isn't bad and occasionally manages to pleasantly and poignantly surprise. The ending nearly undoes the damage done by those same writers, as Depp manages to imbue it with real humanity and sadness. His last to the boy is as good a closing line as I can recall since the Princess Bride or While You Were Sleeping.

On the whole, I'm glad I saw it while deeply regretting what was thrown away here.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
My favorite line from the Lone Ranger .... there is definitely something wrong with that horse.

99lamb

FURY good movie, Pitt plays the part , reminds me of his role in Inglourious Basterds, but I can only watch the movie just once, not a big fan of this type of war movie.
Edge of Tomorrow have watched it a couple of times, enjoyable story, cast, and acting.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Saw the Lone Ranger...there's actually a very good movie inside that mess of thing. The problem lies mostly with the lead. Not the actor, exactly, though he doesn't rise above the material he's handed, but with the way his character is written to begin with. He's meant, I think, to be presented as an idealist, but the way that idealism is presented makes him appear more disconnected and goofy. He won't take a gun though he's part of a posse chasing dangerous outlaws and despite having grown up in the west before heading east for a legal education. Later in the film he can't bring himself to shoot the man who literally cut the heart out of his brother...that gives you a little taste of the thing that ultimately sinks what could have been an extremely enjoyable and even touching homage.

Depp does a great job with the best role as an ancient Indian in 1933 San Francisco telling his tail of adventure and woe to a child at a fair who happens upon him in the exhibit room. The villains are passable, the love interest not bad and appropriately complicated, which only makes the dreaded Lone Ranger's paper thin rendering all the more painful to endure. Aside from a few idiotic gaffs in dialogue early, idiom and historical in nature, the rest of the writing isn't bad and occasionally manages to pleasantly and poignantly surprise. The ending nearly undoes the damage done by those same writers, as Depp manages to imbue it with real humanity and sadness. His last to the boy is as good a closing line as I can recall since the Princess Bride or While You Were Sleeping.

On the whole, I'm glad I saw it while deeply regretting what was thrown away here.
Yeah, they kinda made the young Lone Ranger look like a weenie, while his brother was the tough guy.

But hey, isn't that how the comic book story goes too?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Took Jack to see Big Hero 6. It was well done, but a bit formulaic for me...I saw the villain at the outset and the rest was waiting while they did their best to push emotional buttons enough to give the whole thing gravitas, but it mostly failed for me, if gently. Jack liked it.

One of the things that bugged me was the whole San FranTokyo business, where it appears we lost WWII given how one sided that blending actually is...just rankled me and I don't think that taste ever quite left my mouth, though a decent popcorn helped. :)
First off, it's San Fransokyo. Secondly, they did that because they couldn' stick to the source material and set it in actual Japan because of the politics of Japan and how they colored the original story, and still have it be for kids. So they blended America into it. That's not the only thing they changed, though.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
First off, it's San Fransokyo.
Well that really changes things for me... :plain:

Secondly, they did that because they couldn' stick to the source material and set it in actual Japan because of the politics of Japan and how they colored the original story, and still have it be for kids. So they blended America into it. That's not the only thing they changed, though.
I'm only taking it as it presented itself and I found the skew a bit offensive on some level. Overall it was entertaining and Jack liked it, which is all that really matters. Watching Train Your Dragon 2 tonight.