Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

zoo22

And there'll be mostly non-comic-based films for the rest of the year. Summer is pretty much the time for comic-based film releases. If you think I'm saying comic-based films are less than other films, which I believe you are thinking, you're off. However, I do believe you're involved more with comic-based films than other films. Am I wrong? No judgement. That's fine. I love them too.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
And there'll be mostly non-comic-based films for the rest of the year. Summer is pretty much the time for comic-based film releases. If you think I'm saying comic-based films are less than other films, which I believe you are thinking, you're off. However, I do believe you're involved more with comic-based films than other films. Am I wrong? No judgement. That's fine. I love them too.
Yes, you are wrong, hence my response to your initial comment.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Star Wars is back. And in my opinion, in good hands. The campiness of Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace will likely not be present with Disney writers and directors like Jerry Bruckheimer. Pirates of the Carribean, National Treasure come to mind. There isn't a story or screen play, but with the sale, the "story treatments" as Lucas called them went with it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Star Wars is back. And in my opinion, in good hands. The campiness of Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace will likely not be present with Disney writers and directors like Jerry Bruckheimer. Pirates of the Carribean, National Treasure come to mind. There isn't a story or screen play, but with the sale, the "story treatments" as Lucas called them went with it.
Too bad he didn't sell the property prior to the last three films...or before the Ewok invasion in the film that nearly Matrixed the series.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Bruckheimer is not a good director.

zoo22

The campiness of Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace will likely not be present with Disney writers and directors like Jerry Bruckheimer. Pirates of the Carribean, National Treasure come to mind.

Bruckheimer is not a good director.

So then you were not entertained with the movies he has made?

Not the ones he's directed.:nono:

Which films would those be that Bruckheimer wrote and/or directed?

Anything but Westerns.

I just can't sit through a Western.

:plain:

Er....wait...
How can you make a story about Jesse James boring? Well you pick Casey Affleck to play Bob Ford and whine through the whole movie. His incessant whining really got to me. Seriously, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is one of the worst westerns ever made. Casey Affleck should be drummed out of the actor's union. Brad Pitt was okay as Jesse James and the rest of the cast held up their end, and the cinematography was excellent. But Casey Affleck ruined the movie. And one of his latest efforts, Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me, he is totally unbelievable as a sheriff/killer and whines through that movie too. If you see his name in the credits before watching a movie with him in it, think twice.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in the West has to be my favorite opening sequence. The time it takes to develop reminds me of the desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia, with the rider's slow approach. You couldn't make either of those shots today. :sigh:

The culture, even or especially cinematic culture, is far to ADD.
Jack Elam actually did catch that fly in his gun barrel. Great movie opening, offhand, I can't think of one better.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Prometheus is an idea straddling two worlds ineffectively. As a film with serious conceit and ambition it looks the part but can't deliver on its thesis, devolving in lieu into an inexplicable monster movie, where it fails to deliver a shocking or, lacking that, comprehensible villain.

Entertaining on the whole and beautifully rendered you're more likely to leave it talking about what might have been than what was.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Every now and then a movie really holds my interest from start to finish. Those movies that make you question "What's really going on here?".

One such movie was The Illusionist, staring Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, and Jessica Biel.

Last night I rented the movie Red Lights that had such stars as Robert De Niro and Sigourney Weaver.

The trailer:

Red Lights