Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What did you think of For Greater Glory? I saw it yesterday. It was a sad piece of history I had never heard of before.
One of the stars who is Mexican said he had never heard of it until someone asked him if he would be in the movie.

I liked it very much, even as it brought me to tears several times. Showing the actors with the photo and history of the corresponding real martyr was profoundly moving. What happened to little José in the movie really happened.

However, the movie did not, could not, go far enough to describe the actual atrocities that were perpetrated on the people of Mexico, both laity and religious. Approximately 40,000 lay people and 90 priests were killed or tortured by brutal methods, all through the machinations of an atheistic, communist revolutionary government. The 1917 Mexican constitution contained several articles which deprived clerics and laity alike of their rights and religious freedoms. Teachers in some areas had to swear an oath to atheism and required to teach against the church. Children were brainwashed by the state in the same way as in other marxist totalitarian regimes, and this all was happening directly south of our border.

The history is sobering, and the timeliness of the move is quite ironic.

Viva Cristo Rey.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
I liked it very much, even as it brought me to tears several times.
Yes. I was glad that the lights were kept down for a good period after the movie.

Showing the actors with the photo and history of the corresponding real martyr was profoundly moving.
That was incredibly moving.

What happened to little José in the movie really happened.

However, the movie did not, could not, go far enough to describe the actual atrocities that were perpetrated on the people of Mexico, both laity and religious. Approximately 40,000 lay people and 90 priests were killed or tortured by brutal methods, all through the machinations of an atheistic, communist revolutionary government.
I read that as well but I didn’t want to delve into details. Sickening.

The 1917 Mexican constitution contained several articles which deprived clerics and laity alike of their rights and religious freedoms. Teachers in some areas had to swear an oath to atheism and required to teach against the church. Children were brainwashed by the state in the same way as in other marxist totalitarian regimes, and this all was happening directly south of our border.

The history is sobering, and the timeliness of the move is quite ironic.
Eduardo Verastegui (played Anacleto Gonzalez Flores) said; “I don’t see any difference between Plutarco Elias Calles and President Obama or Henry VIII. I almost see the same pattern repeat itself.”

Viva Cristo Rey.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I hadn't seen that quote by Eduardo, thanks.

I hope the movie gets good exposure, and that many are moved by it, not only in compassion, but in thinking about the driving force behind such evil. Thanks for doing your part. :up:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In no particular order, here are some of my favorites.

Ransom
Gladiator
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Last of the Mohicans
Penny Serenade
Braveheart
Count of Monte Cristo
The Princes Bride
School of Rock
Salt
Point of No Return
Radio
The Prestige
The Book of Eli
Taken
Nell
It's a Wonderful Life
Safehouse

Last edited:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
This doesn't really fit going to the movies, but lately I've been watching movies from the 50's on Netfix. Netflix has a pretty terrible selection in my view, but they do have some fun older movies, I've mostly looked for old sci-fi stuff, found a few fun ones so far.

So far I've watched: (worth listing)

It! The Terror From Beyond Space
At The Earth's Core
Invisible Invaders

Remember, I said "fun", I didnt say "good" :) those three were pretty entertaining though :)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Movies I watch repeatedly:

Young Guns
Outlaw Jose Wales
Dirty Harry
Jaws
Indiana Jones movies
Star Wars movies
Blazing Saddles
Conan the Barbarian / Destroyer
Star Trek movies, new and old
Lord of the Rings movies
Tombstone
Spinal Tap
(and plenty of others)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just off the top of my head--Movies that I like past and present
Patton
A Bridge Too Far
Tora, Tora, Tora
Midway
Fire Proof
The Longest Day
Sink the Bismark
Facing the Giants
The Battle of the Bulge
Gettysburg
Gods and Generals
The Great Raid
The Hunt for Red October
Clear and Present Danger
Patriot Games
The Fighting Seabees
The Green Berets
Lord of the Rings series
Star Wars series

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hatfields and McCoys comes on again today for those that missed it the first time around.

S

Strefanash

I have not been to the movies since my local cinema was rendered useless by the June 22 2011 earthquake; and the fact is i begrudge paying something like NZ$16 for a ticket.

The last move I saw was the latest Narnia movie in Dec 2010. A good movie but it confirmed my dislike of C S Lewis' theology.

I will likely find the inclination to see the Hobbit premiere later this year.

I enjoy fantasy movies, SF and otherwise, and historical dramas.

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter set; but tv reruns often enough suffice for me

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't know that there's anything coming out soon that I want to see, except for Skyfall.