Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

zoo22

Once Upon a Time in the West has to be my favorite opening sequence. The time it takes to develop reminds me of the desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia, with the rider's slow approach. You couldn't make either of those shots today. :sigh:

The culture, even or especially cinematic culture, is far to ADD.

Yeah, it's a great opening. But to say that similar wouldn't, couldn't or doesn't exist today just isn't true. It only sounds good. (Also, grandpa didn't really have to walk uphill 10 miles both to and from school.)

No dialogue for almost 15 minutes:

There Will be Blood

Or pacing...

No Country For Old Men

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's a great opening. But to say that similar wouldn't, couldn't or doesn't exist today just isn't true.
It mostlly is. I wouldn't say there aren't exceptions, but we live in the age of special effects frenzy, of form over substance.

It only sounds good. (Also, grandpa didn't really have to walk uphill 10 miles both to and from school.)
Sounds depressing. But read over a list of the top films for the past decade or so and then start walking back by decade.

No dialogue for almost 15 minutes:
Dialog isn't exactly the point, zoo.

Or pacing...
More the point. That sort of slow exposition for a long stretch of film just doesn't tend to...not happen anymore. :D

One Eyed Jack

I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty good.

Ghajini (2008) *BluRay* w/ Eng Sub - Hindi Movie - Part 1

Part 8 seems to be missing, although I found another version with those scenes, but without the closed-captioning. Fortunately, it was mostly a song and dance number, so I didn't miss all that much of the story. The gist of it is she refuses to marry until she gets three ambassador cars, or something like that.

If this reminds anyone of Memento, it's because that's the story that inspired this movie. This, however, is more of a love story.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Worst movie poster that manages to double as a commentary of what's wrong with the imagination factory of Hollywood.

wrath_titans_worthington_poster_a_p.jpg

Feel the wrath?

Really? :plain:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm interested in seeing The Cabin in the Woods.

Also, of course, looking forward to The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man.

I've gotten all the Marvel movies [and I saw them all in theaters], that lead up to The Avengers. And I have to two most recent Batman movies, which I also saw in Theaters. I also own the first two Spider-Man movies, and was in the theater for those as well.

I saw the third Spider-Man but I hated it; mostly because it took Peter's biggest motivation to do the right thing away, and tacked on some stupidity to try and rectify it. And that was one of the things from which any adaptation of Spider-Man should never deviate.

There are plenty of movies I didn't get to see in theaters, but would love to still see. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, for one. I already saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I had already seen the Swedish versions and read the English translations of the books. I even own the first book.

What gets me down is that there are so many movies coming out that I don't care if I see in theaters. Especially with ticket prices. Does anyone remember when there was barely ever a movie that didn't get you interested in seeing it on the big screen? Even the 3D re-releases aren't making me want to spend my money. However, when they get to the original Star Wars trilogy I would love to see those on the big screen. I don't even care if they're in 3D.

Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley have begun filming their parts in the upcoming: Ender's Game movie. If you aren't familiar with the books penned by half the screen writing team for the project's Orson Scott Card and you like a good tale you should get to your local library or bookstore and take care of that.

This Hunger Games (hate the title) looks more and more interesting as the trailers release, but I don't know that much about it.

John Carter appears to be suffering a slump in the states, though it's doing good box office overseas. I think they made a tactical mistake in not using a known commodity for the leads.

So...feel free to discuss anything about the movies you want here.
All three of those are based on books.

Meet Joe Black came on AMC HD the other day. Unbelievably good score to that one and one of my favorites. Has a terrific and complicated love triangle and is well cast all around.

When it first came out I thought it killed itself with a certain scene that happens right near the beginning. An off screen notice of it wouldn't have been as jarring. I spent too much of the film irked by it and settling back into the movie, distracted. The next time I watched it I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the film and the time after that I bought it.
The ping pong scene?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm interested in seeing The Cabin in the Woods.
Not sure. Good reviews, but...

Also, of course, looking forward to The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man.
In order: mildly interested, ready for the end of that one and it feels like it's too soon for a reinvention. Maybe I'll watch them at home.

I've gotten all the Marvel movies [and I saw them all in theaters], that lead up to The Avengers. And I have to two most recent Batman movies, which I also saw in Theaters. I also own the first two Spider-Man movies, and was in the theater for those as well.
I liked the first Iron Man and Captain America. The first couple of SMs were interesting, but I was over it by the third installment.

There are plenty of movies I didn't get to see in theaters, but would love to still see. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol,
Really looking forward to that one.

I already saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I had already seen the Swedish versions and read the English translations of the books. I even own the first book.
Watching that one tomorrow night.

Even the 3D re-releases aren't making me want to spend my money. However, when they get to the original Star Wars trilogy I would love to see those on the big screen. I don't even care if they're in 3D.
I hate it that so many people didn't see the original trilogy and the first Raiders on the big screen. Same with E.T.

All three of those are based on books.
Yeah. I loved Ender's Game. I think I've read every book in the series. I only just reread the John Carter series. Never heard of the Hunger books until the movie trailer came out.

The ping pong scene?
That's actually a really good description without giving anything away. :chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not sure. Good reviews, but...
It's Joss Whedon and it's not a straight up horror flick, it's sort of self-aware.

In order: mildly interested, ready for the end of that one and it feels like it's too soon for a reinvention. Maybe I'll watch them at home.
I agree that it seems too soon for a reboot on the Spider-Man front but it looks to be a very good movie.

I liked the first Iron Man and Captain America. The first couple of SMs were interesting, but I was over it by the third installment.
Don't get me started on the third one.

Really looking forward to that one.
So am I.

Watching that one tomorrow night.
Have you seen the Swedish version and/or read the book?

I hate it that so many people didn't see the original trilogy and the first Raiders on the big screen. Same with E.T.
I'm only 31 [1980].

Yeah. I loved Ender's Game. I think I've read every book in the series. I only just reread the John Carter series. Never heard of the Hunger books until the movie trailer came out.
I heard about Ender's Game a long time ago. And I heard about the Hunger Games when it was announced they were going to make movies. I've only ever read the first Tarzan book, and nothing else by Burroughs.

I should probably read some of those.

That's actually a really good description without giving anything away. :chuckle:
I could not figure out why they did that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's Joss Whedon and it's not a straight up horror flick, it's sort of self-aware.
I checked it out at rottentomatoes and the consensus appears to be a :thumb: so I'll likely get it through Netflix at some point.

I agree that it seems too soon for a reboot on the Spider-Man front but it looks to be a very good movie.
Yeah...but that last one really soured me on the franchise.

Don't get me started on the third one.
Like biting into an eclair and finding a roach in it. :smack:

Hmm. Looks like we've finally found the thing we can talk about and mostly agree on. :shocked: :chuckle:

Have you seen the Swedish version and/or read the book?

No. I'd meant to, but one thing or another kept getting in the way. How would you rate this version comparatively? And as a stand alone?

Re: Raiders/Star Wars/E.T. on the big screen
I'm only 31 [1980].
Sorry about that. Well, between big screen tvs and blu-ray you can still have a pretty good viewing. I'd ad Blade Runner to the list...now I've always wanted to see The Searchers on the big screen. That was probably something special (more so). Same with Lawrence of Arabia. Ah, well.

I heard about Ender's Game a long time ago. And I heard about the Hunger Games when it was announced they were going to make movies. I've only ever read the first Tarzan book, and nothing else by Burroughs.
You need to read the Ender saga. Burroughs doesn't really do it for me, but I've read a lot by him.

I could not figure out why they did that.
I think they meant for it to generate buzz, but I don't think the movie recovers from it the first time you see it. The second time I watched it I loved the film.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I checked it out at rottentomatoes and the consensus appears to be a :thumb: so I'll likely get it through Netflix at some point.
What are your thoughts on the Stooges movie?

Yeah...but that last one really soured me on the franchise.
This is a different franchise. Different actors, different director. The only problem is it's the same studio.

Like biting into an eclair and finding a roach in it. :smack:
Changing who killed Uncle Ben was where it all started to fall apart.

Hmm. Looks like we've finally found the thing we can talk about and mostly agree on. :shocked: :chuckle:
:chuckle:

No. I'd meant to, but one thing or another kept getting in the way. How would you rate this version comparatively? And as a stand alone?
Both are excellent. The US version keeps more from the book, but also changes some things the Swedish version kept. I wouldn't put either above the other.

Re: Raiders/Star Wars/E.T. on the big screen

Sorry about that. Well, between big screen tvs and blu-ray you can still have a pretty good viewing. I'd ad Blade Runner to the list...now I've always wanted to see The Searchers on the big screen. That was probably something special (more so). Same with Lawrence of Arabia. Ah, well.
If they actually had the original versions on Blu-Ray that might be worth it.

You need to read the Ender saga. Burroughs doesn't really do it for me, but I've read a lot by him.
I keep hearing I should.

I think they meant for it to generate buzz, but I don't think the movie recovers from it the first time you see it. The second time I watched it I loved the film.
:idunno:

I've only ever seen it once and I enjoyed it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What are your thoughts on the Stooges movie?
Haven't seen it, but you can't substitute for Curly. Like trying to imitate Harpo Marx. Can't be done.

This is a different franchise. Different actors, different director. The only problem is it's the same studio.
Same narrative. If they want it to work they're going to have to go darker, recreate it in the same sense the Batman movies have.

Changing who killed Uncle Ben was where it all started to fall apart.
See, I think they screwed up getting the Goblin/Gwen bit wrong.

Both are excellent. The US version keeps more from the book, but also changes some things the Swedish version kept. I wouldn't put either above the other.
Saw it and had to admit that while it's strictly (and distrubingly) adult material, it was well done. Hated the abuse early and nearly didn't get beyond it, but when she turned the table she REALLY turned it. Called the villain of the piece within shortly after he was introduced (my wife gave me the sigh/look) but I usually get that early and it didn't spoil anything for me.

If they actually had the original versions on Blu-Ray that might be worth it.
That's how I collect them these days and it is. :thumb:

I keep hearing I should.
You should listen to the voices. :noid: :eek: Seriously, I know people who aren't even into science fiction that love the series.

I've only ever seen it once and I enjoyed it.
The score is amazing. That's what I started noticing the second time through. But the ping-pong jarred me the first time. Took me out of the narrative and I didn't get seated in it again for a good third of the film. That's why I watched it again, to pick up on what I thought I'd likely missed. Glad I did. Changed the whole thing for me.

Oh, did you see that Ben Kingsley is set to be the villain in the next Iron Man? Not the Mandarin, they say, though it's hard to imagine who else he'd play with that general look... :idunno:

Son of Jack

Worst movie poster that manages to double as a commentary of what's wrong with the imagination factory of Hollywood.

wrath_titans_worthington_poster_a_p.jpg

Feel the wrath?

Really? :plain:

I saw the movie this past Saturday. It was exactly what I expected it to be. It didn't follow Greek mythology very closely, it was very slow in places, the visual effects were pretty good, and a lot of stuff blew up.:idunno:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Haven't seen it, but you can't substitute for Curly. Like trying to imitate Harpo Marx. Can't be done.
:idunno:

I like Will Sasso, though. Might have been a better idea to do a biopic, though. Michael Chiklis was pretty good in the one they made for TV.

Same narrative. If they want it to work they're going to have to go darker, recreate it in the same sense the Batman movies have.
Darker? This is Spider-Man we're talking about. Though it does seem they went more for edge and grit.

See, I think they screwed up getting the Goblin/Gwen bit wrong.
Marvel comics did it first, in Ultimate Spider-Man. They got Peter and MJ together within the first year and did that whole scene with her instead of Gwen. In fact, in the Ultimate version of Spider-Man Gwen is still alive. Of course, they killed Peter last year and are not bringing him back.

Saw it and had to admit that while it's strictly (and distrubingly) adult material, it was well done. Hated the abuse early and nearly didn't get beyond it, but when she turned the table she REALLY turned it. Called the villain of the piece within shortly after he was introduced (my wife gave me the sigh/look) but I usually get that early and it didn't spoil anything for me.
I knew she was alive the whole time and therefore I wasn't looking for a villain. I think I did figure out her dad was the killer she was investigating. I figured her brother just caught her kill their father and that's why she ran.

That's how I collect them these days and it is. :thumb:
Except that I'm not actually a Star Wars fan. And before you ask, I'm not a Trekkie, either. I'm a Browncoat.

You should listen to the voices. :noid: :eek: Seriously, I know people who aren't even into science fiction that love the series.
Someday. I wasn't impressed with Card's work on the Ultimate version of Iron Man.

Oh, did you see that Ben Kingsley is set to be the villain in the next Iron Man? Not the Mandarin, they say, though it's hard to imagine who else he'd play with that general look... :idunno:
Of course I heard. There is also funding coming from China, and China will, thereby, play a role in the film. So now you really have to wonder why they wouldn't use the Mandarin, as China sees his ilk as villains, as well.

Arthur Brain

Just saw 'Drive' a couple of days ago and very impressed. Stylish, very well acted (especially Ryan Gosling as 'the driver' who gives a mesmerizing performance in the lead role) and intelligent script. Thankfully atypical Hollywood fodder. Not what I was expecting but all the better for it.

'Fast & Furious' this ain't.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780504/

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks for the heads up, AB. I'd forgotten that one.

We watched Money Ball last night. I really enjoyed it, though in retrospect I'm not entirely sure why.

No one won anything.
Nothing really changed by the end of the film.
Nobody got the girl.
It wasn't terribly funny.
Nothing exploded or caught on fire.
Nothing imperiled was saved.
Nothing broken was redeemed.
It wasn't chuck full of catch phrases.
The characters weren't particularly memorable or even especially likable.

I'd recommend it. :idunno: