Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Quincy

Do you mean Dream House, Town Heretic?

If so, I have seen bits and pieces of it while multi-tasking. It's pretty awesome, it's kind of like a psychological thriller involving a guy with a lot of........ not to ruin anything let's just say delusions.

Arthur Brain

Thanks Arthur, I was a little worried it wouldn't be that good but if you say it's worth watching then I am sure it is :e4e: .

I just hope it isn't too scary, while I don't mind chilling and haunting at all, too much make you jump out of your seat frights get to me.

Well, it's better than I had expectations for so don't give my "review" undue credit. I zoned out when the obligatory "scariest film of the year" trailers came out as it's mainly just hype....but it does have some jolting scenes in it if you're a wuss...:D

One Eyed Jack

Thanks Arthur, I was a little worried it wouldn't be that good but if you say it's worth watching then I am sure it is :e4e: .

I just hope it isn't too scary, while I don't mind chilling and haunting at all, too much make you jump out of your seat frights get to me.

I remember watching The Deep at the movies as a kid. When the big moray eel poked his head out the first time, I jumped and spilled my drink all over myself. I had to sit there soaking wet for the rest of the movie.

Arthur Brain

Did either of you see the horror film with Daniel Craig? I have it from Netflix, along with Hugo and will likely watch both tonight and tomorrow.

I've seen 'Dream House' and it's pretty decent IMO without giving too much away. A twisty psychological thriller rather than chiller IMO but then again it's neat at mixing up genres as well. Worth a catch I'd say.

:e4e:

Arthur Brain

I remember watching The Deep at the movies as a kid. When the big moray eel poked his head out the first time, I jumped and spilled my drink all over myself. I had to sit there soaking wet for the rest of the movie.

What was worse, the dampness or the embarrassment?

:eek:

Quincy

Well, it's better than I had expectations for so don't give my "review" undue credit. I zoned out when the obligatory "scariest film of the year" trailers came out as it's mainly just hype....but it does have some jolting scenes in it if you're a wuss...:D

No, heh of course I'm not a wuss. Why I, I assure you of that good sir. I will watch that film and enjoy it :party: !

Seriously though, I can handle what I'd call "haunted house" scares, things jumping out on film. It's the noises that get me. Especially loud bangs and babies crying in the background.

I just get aggravated with movies like Friday the 13th were it is the only catch they have. I like it here and there in a film but when it is the only thing the film does, it's a bit much for me.

One Eyed Jack

What was worse, the dampness or the embarrassment?

:eek:

Had to be the dampness. I don't think anybody else even noticed.

I just get aggravated with movies like Friday the 13th were it is the only catch they have. I like it here and there in a film but when it is the only thing the film does, it's a bit much for me.

I'm not big into slashers for that very reason. As for The Deep, there was a lot going on in it that I didn't really understand at the time. It's more of a suspense-thriller than a horror movie. I have to say though, after seeing that and Jaws, I've maintained a healthy respect for the ocean to this day.

Quincy

Had to be the dampness. I don't think anybody else even noticed.

I'm not big into slashers for that very reason. As for The Deep, there was a lot going on in it that I didn't really understand at the time. It's more of a suspense-thriller than a horror movie. I have to say though, after seeing that and Jaws, I've maintained a healthy respect for the ocean to this day.

I'm going to have to find The Deep now and watch it. Sounds cerebral in a way :think: .

While waiting for Hunger Games, I found out about this...

Abe Lincoln: A Double Life?

:plain:

I've seen the book for it. Yep, the book.

:pain: (typo intended)

some other dude

I finally struggled all the way through Terry Gilliam's Brazil. I'm glad I did. While I don't expect to watch it again any time soon (read "in this lifetime") there were many subtle aspects of the film that make it memorable. Also, it was interesting to note the similarities to his later work Twelve Monkeys, which is one of my favorites.

Next up?

Zombieland!

Arthur Brain

I finally struggled all the way through Terry Gilliam's Brazil. I'm glad I did. While I don't expect to watch it again any time soon (read "in this lifetime") there were many subtle aspects of the film that make it memorable. Also, it was interesting to note the similarities to his later work Twelve Monkeys, which is one of my favorites.

Next up?

Zombieland!

Brazil certainly ain't light entertainment but it's a darkly classic satire on bureaucracy often because of its subtle elements. 'Twelve Monkeys' is good as well as with most of Gilliam's work overall IMO. Heck, I still love his Monty Python animations....inspired lunacy :D

Zombieland is one of the better 'zombie comedies' out there also. You should enjoy.

One Eyed Jack

Anybody seen Shogun Assassin?

Shogun Assassin (1980)

If you like your cheese extra-sharp, this is the way to go. The ultimate B-movie overdub, IMHO.

The originals are really good too, but they're only available in subtitles, and if you're unfamiliar with Japanese culture, some of it might seem kinda strange.

Quincy

ZOMBIES!!!! OH MY GOSH! Don't even get me started on the awesomeness that is Zombieland. I'm serious. Zombies and me are like dead Laurel and Hardy. I love me some zombie flicks, games, costume play, if it's zombies I'm there. I might even get a zombie tattoo soon.

Quincy

Heading out to see those movies.... ungh and do shopping per the requisite nature of the female accompaniment. Can't wait, hope they rock, I'll post some thoughts on them when I get back tonight.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
ZOMBIES!!!! OH MY GOSH! Don't even get me started on the awesomeness that is Zombieland. I'm serious. Zombies and me are like dead Laurel and Hardy. I love me some zombie flicks, games, costume play, if it's zombies I'm there. I might even get a zombie tattoo soon.
I think it's actually called necrotizing fasciitis...:shocked: :eek:

Quincy

So, The Woman in Black was only playing at night and we couldn't see that. We did see The Hunger Games and her choice was.............. Mirror Mirror. I hear you guys laughing but really, it wasn't bad at all. MM is kind of like Robin Hood Men in Tights mixed with that recent Red Riding Hood remake. Plus Lily Collins....... I enjoyed the movie. Yes I did. Lily Collins. (lesson, always look to the bright side of things :D )

On a more serious note, it's terrible to watch if you prefer the canon story. They really changed up the story big time in that one, even changed the names of the dwarves to stuff like Butcher and Napolean, but if you liked Robin Hood Men in Tights you would like Mirror Mirror. Julia Roberts did an ok job as the old hag. I'd give the film 2.5/5

As for hunger games, it was good. The book is better and you definitely need to have read it to get everything going on but as far as a two hour adaption of a book goes, it was good. Not NEARLY as violent as I expected, it was basically Lord of the Rings type violence. Good movie. 4/5

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Once Upon a Time in the West has to be my favorite opening sequence. The time it takes to develop reminds me of the desert scene in Lawrence of Arabia, with the rider's slow approach. You couldn't make either of those shots today. :sigh:

The culture, even or especially cinematic culture, is far to ADD.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anybody seen Shogun Assassin?

The originals are really good too, but they're only available in subtitles, and if you're unfamiliar with Japanese culture, some of it might seem kinda strange.

If it aired on USA Network on Sundays during Kung-Fu Theater following the early days of the WWF as All American Wrestling then probably so.

Since there are other 3-D conversions being done, I think a list is in order. I don't care about things flying in your face, only enhancing the visual and adding depth.

Star Wars-being done
LOTR- haven't read yet, and could be the best things since sliced bread
Jaws- admittedly for things in your face.
Independence Day
The Dark Knight
I don't think there would be a gain to any of the Indiana Jones movies
Pale Rider-great cinematography and depth already
Back to the Future series