Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One of the few movies that I could watch over and over and over is
The Last of the Mohicans.

I heard a joke not long ago ....

NEWS FLASH
A live Mohican has been found.
The motion picture industry is upset because of the cost to recall all the movie videos to rename it The Next To Last Of The Mohicans.

:chuckle:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
One of the few movies that I could watch over and over and over is
The Last of the Mohicans.

I heard a joke not long ago ....

NEWS FLASH
A live Mohican has been found.
The motion picture industry is upset because of the cost to recall all the movie videos to rename it The Next To Last Of The Mohicans.

:chuckle:

Yes.....The Last of the Mohicans is one that I watch again and again. One day....in the age to come....I'm gonna' run straight up a mountain like Uncas.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes.....The Last of the Mohicans is one that I watch again and again. One day....in the age to come....I'm gonna' run straight up a mountain like Uncas.

I loved the background music in that movie too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Best movie kiss, from cinematography to score is in the otherwise irritatingly flawed motion picture The Hudsucker Proxy. Silhouette first kiss, perfect score.

2nd best: Meet Joe Black, even better music, but not quite as good a set up in frame.

Best closing narration: Shawshank Redemption and To Kill a Mockingbird...well, also The Wizard of Oz if you count Dorothy's closing speech, though it's not, strictly speaking, a narration.

In comedy it's While You Were Sleeping.

Quincy

You know, Q, they made movies before the 90s. :plain: One or two. :D

You know this raises an interesting point. Prior to the 90s, I wasn't much bigger than Jack and I remember the only movies I watched, weren't exactly all the kind you put on a favorites or best of list. I watched what my dad watched and that consisted of:

Delta Force movies
Dirty Harry (a classic I love actually)
Rambo movies
Missing in Action movies
Firewalker
The Good the Bad and the Ugly (actually really like that one)
Over the Top
Conan the Barbarian (that was actually awesome)
A Force of One
Red Sonja (also excellent if you know what I mean)

I can't say those are my favorites. Although a few I love, you can imagine what it was like in kindergarten and the 1st grade. I was telling the kids about Chuck Norris getting his head tucked into a bag with a big rat and killing it with his teeth. They were telling me about Fraggles and Big Bird. We still all got along even though I thought those kids were uber gay, I was a mellow kid as long as we got our nap and candy.

So my experiences pre-90s aside, if you go back and watch a movie on VHS or dvd and it isn't remastered, that movie kind of looks bad/blighted and that draws me out of the experience. I'm hoping more classic films find their way to being remastered and put on blu-ray but right now I can't watch old movies much.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Best movie kiss, from cinematography to score is in the otherwise irritatingly flawed motion picture The Hudsucker Proxy. Silhouette first kiss, perfect score.

2nd best: Meet Joe Black, even better music, but not quite as good a set up in frame.

Best closing narration: Shawshank Redemption and To Kill a Mockingbird...well, also The Wizard of Oz if you count Dorothy's closing speech, though it's not, strictly speaking, a narration.

In comedy it's While You Were Sleeping.

How coincidental your closing narration choice in comedy was While You Were Sleeping, because when I was reading your choices for best movie kiss, I was thinking of my choice, and it's when Bill Pullman leans in on Sandra Bullock in While You Were Sleeping. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How coincidental your closing narration choice in comedy was While You Were Sleeping, because when I was reading your choices for best movie kiss, I was thinking of my choice, and it's when Bill Pullman leans in on Sandra Bullock in While You Were Sleeping. :)

That's a sweet moment in a great romantic comedy. I didn't put it in my very top though because it doesn't have the music and isn't set up and out as a turning point in the film. The other two noted are just that...a good kiss though. So is the one in You've Got Mail, if mostly because the audience had been waiting for it since their first pairing.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's a sweet moment in a great romantic comedy. I didn't put it in my very top though because it doesn't have the music and isn't set up and out as a turning point in the film. The other two noted are just that...a good kiss though. So is the one in You've Got Mail, if mostly because the audience had been waiting for it since their first pairing.

OK, backtracking; now I'll have to watch the movie again, because I don't think the leaning ended with a kiss. It was the leaning (I see by the youtube title that I'm not the only one :chuckle:) that I remembered as being very nice:

Leaning

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Cast Away with Tom Hanks was really good.
His solo performance is brilliant. Oddly, the film flounders once he's no longer lost.

You know this raises an interesting point. Prior to the 90s, I wasn't much bigger than Jack...So my experiences pre-90s aside, if you go back and watch a movie on VHS or dvd and it isn't remastered, that movie kind of looks bad/blighted and that draws me out of the experience. I'm hoping more classic films find their way to being remastered and put on blu-ray but right now I can't watch old movies much.
When I was a kid our local channels carried old movies featured here and there. Channel five had an afternoon matinee that could be anything from a western to the Creature From the Black Lagoon and there was the Late Night Movie, which tended to be more Oscar worthy fare...but these days you have AMC or, more to the point, TCM.

I wasn't alive during the time when what I consider the greatest movie period of all time was happening. But if you love comedy and you haven't seen Cary Grant in His Girl Friday or Bringing Up Baby, or you love westerns and haven't seen The Searchers or Red River...if you missed any of my 30s and 40s list you've missed amazing movies.

I don't think you can really understand the impact of the movies until the year 1939 makes you smile when it's mentioned.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
OK, backtracking; now I'll have to watch the movie again, because I don't think the leaning ended with a kiss.
Well, he leaned in for their first kiss...what were you talking about, the comedy discussion about Joe Jr.? Funny, but what has it to do with great screen kisses?

Quincy

I don't think you can really understand the impact of the movies until the year 1939 makes you smile when it's mentioned.

I have AMC and they show a lot of 60s and 70s flicks, I watch some from time to time, especially the Clint Eastwood films. I honestly haven't seen any prior to that time period. I'll take your suggestion to heart though and keep an eye out for some earlier classics and see what they offer.

What I really wish I had the opportunity of is having a shop that sells them around here. We have wal-mart, k-mart and a more local chain called magic mart. It's hardly magical in there but no place here sales any classic films.

I always wanted to watch Gone With the Wind or Wizard of Oz but I've never seen a copy of them.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well, he leaned in for their first kiss...what were you talking about, the comedy discussion about Joe Jr.? Funny, but what has it to do with great screen kisses?
I remembered the scene I gave you the clip for, not the comedy discussion. I just don't know if it ended in a kiss in that particular scene, or later. I'll have to watch it again. :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
His solo performance is brilliant. Oddly, the film flounders once he's no longer lost.

That's what was so great about it!
No happy ending, his wife is remarried with kids to the dentist that gave him the crappy root canal that he had to knock out with an ice skate.
It totally broke the mold for the Stranded On a Tropical Island And Have To Escape On A Raft You Made With Parts From A Porta-Jon genre.

Not so much a not happy ending so much as a new beginnings ending.
Unexpected.
Loved it.