Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Arthur Brain

How funny you mentioned anglo saxon, Sir Brain. I just got done READING ( a book) Adventures in Wonderland for the countless time and you remind me of Haigha with his anglo-saxan attitudes! Plus, he's a rabbit :eek:

Isn't it just?

I think you'll find he's actually a hare as well....

:mmph:

:plain:

Quincy

What is everyone's top favorites anyway? Mine are:

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Gladiator

PananThe

My all-time top's are

2001 A Space Odyssey
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - love this movie so much
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption
Fight Club
Caddyshack
Reservoir Dogs
and a bunch more that is escaping me right now.

Really looking forward to Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises this summer, and then The Hobbit this winter. I'm going to be watching Alien and Aliens soon just to get myself in the mood for Prometheus.

Some of the other upcoming movies that look good are The Dictator, World War Z, and have to admit that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter looks like something I'll just have to watch because of the possibility it will be awesomely bad.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator

You know, Q, they made movies before the 90s. :plain: One or two. :D

Depends on the period. A few favorites by decade (not all inclusive, mind you):

30s: Gone With the Wind; Wizard of Oz; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington; Philadelphia Story; It Happened One Night; Stage Coach; Bringing up Baby; Duck Soup; My Man Godfrey; Gunga Din; Beau Geste.

40s: Casablanca; It's a Wonderful Life; The Maltese Falcon; Philadelphia Story; Red River; His Girl Friday; Miracle on 34th Street; Key Largo; Sergeant York; Gas Light; Gentlemen's Agreement; The Bishop's Wife.

50s: On the Waterfront; Bridge on the River Kwai; Rear Window; Some Like it Hot; North by Northwest; The African Queen; The Searchers; High Noon; Shane; Stallag 17; Roman Holiday; The Big Country; Ben Hur; The Quiet Man.

60s: Lawrence of Arabia; 2001; Dr. Strangelove; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Apartment; Cool Hand Luke; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Elmer Gantry; A Man For All Seasons; Inherit the Wind.

70s: Godfather; Star Wars; The Deer Hunter; Patton; Close Encounters; Rocky; MASH; The Sting; Marathon Man; Chinatown.

80s: ET; Raiders of the Lost Arc; Raging Bull; Blade Runner; Ran; Once Upon a Time in America; Midnight Run; The Shinning; Die Hard; A Christmas Story; Gandhi; Witness; Field of Dreams; Bull Durham; Ghostbusters; Hoosiers.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does anybody else remember the movie The Silent Partner staring Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer? It was in the late 70's.

The story of a bank teller (Elliot Gould) during the Christmas season.
He figured out that a mall Santa (Christopher Plummer) was going to rob the bank. So he packed most of the money in his lunch box under his counter, and when the Santa came to rob the bank he pulled the rest of the money out of the drawer at his station and gave it to the Santa.

That night on the news, they told how much money was stolen from the bank (which of course included the amount the teller hid in his lunch box).
The Santa crook realized he'd been had. The rest of the movie was a cat and mouse thriller of the crook trying to get the money the teller got.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The movie is much more down to earth. It has a great message about what being considered "popular" is all about..

I go to or watch movies to be entertained. Making this film a bad movie. Same as Pulp Ficition, or anything by that clown like Resevoir Dogs.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Classic.

Blood Diamond

The South African slaves that harvest the stones for Leo Decaprio? Good entertainment and a good setting.

Ewww - naked wrinkly old man butt

Worse than Will Ferrell in Old School?

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator

Good list. Except for the one.

Star Wars saga
LOTR
Indiana Jones
Jaws
Braveheart
Gone With the Wind
Unforgiven
Pale Rider (a bit cliched but still really good)
Its a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
The Dark Knight
Magnum PI (oh wait)
Bruce Lee's four movies
Cannonball Run
Smokey and the Bandit
Gladiator
Independence Day
Anything with John Wayne
The Good The Bad and the Ugly
Last Man Standing (remake of a remake but best version)
The Longest Day (my view of the movie was the opposite of that loser's intent. Thank God there are men that will fight to defend the weak)
3:10 to Yuma
James Bond, most of them-Casion Royale with Daniel Craig the best, even better than From Russia With Love
Harry Potter was decent with the latter films.
Titanic
Shrek 1 and 2
The GodFather 1 and 2
King Kong original and Peter Jackson version
Back to the Future
Terminator and Terminator 2
First Blood, Rambo; First Blood Part 2, and Rambo
Halloween
Saturday Night Fever
Top Gun (most Army movies suck)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Those are in cabinet number 1 of DVD's. Cabinet 2 and 3 is lower grade but worth owning.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My son watched that movie so many times that he could quote the whole thing!

"You s.o.b.'s couldn't close an umbrella"

ROFL!

Buford%20T%20Justice.jpg

zoo22

What is everyone's top favorites anyway?

Magnolia
Being There
The Bicycle Thief
No Country for Old Men
Drugstore Cowboy
Cool Hand Luke
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Five Easy Pieces
Leaving Las Vegas
Breathless
Stranger Than Paradise
Breakfast at Tiffany's