Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's what was so great about it!
No happy ending, his wife is remarried with kids to the dentist that gave him the crappy root canal that he had to knock out with an ice skate.
It totally broke the mold for the Stranded On a Tropical Island And Have To Escape On A Raft You Made With Parts From A Porta-Jon genre.

Not so much a not happy ending so much as a new beginnings ending.
Unexpected.
Loved it.
Interesting. I didn't mind the ending, I just thought we'd spent so little time investing in or getting to know that part of the dynamic that dealing with it at all made me feel suddenly pulled outside of the thing I'd been drawn into. I'd much rather have ended the movie with his discovery or a sliver of land in the distance.

Breathe

When I was a kid, one of the local tv stations used to show those wonderful Doris Day/Rock Hudson romantic comedies. To this very day, I cannot click past one on tv. Alas, they are scarce as hen's teeth nowadays on the tube.

Arthur Brain

What is everyone's top favorites anyway? Mine are:

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Gladiator

You must have more than five Quince?

Brazil
Blade Runner (Directors Cut)
Run Lola Run
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Taxi Driver
Pans Labyrinth
Don't Look Now
A Tale Of Two Sisters
No Country For Old Men
A Matter Of Life And Death
The Lives Of Others
Odd Man out
Saviour
Leon
Eraserhead
Nikita
Get Carter (Original)
The Godfather 1&2
North By Northwest
Last Days
Hero
Scanners
2001 A Space Odyssey
Good Will Hunting
Oldboy
Breaking The Waves
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
The Elephant Man
Twelve angry Men
Walkabout
The Wrestler
The Third Man
Bad Day At Black Rock
A Fish Called Wanda
Irreversible
The Day The Earth Stood Still (Original)
Eastern Promises
Martyrs
Funny Games
The Truman Show
Dawn Of The Dead (Original)
Dr Strangelove
The Shawshank Redemption
The Untouchables
Planet Of The Apes (Original)
The Fall Of The House Of Usher
Battle Royale
Leaving Las Vegas
Hot Fuzz
Cool Hand Luke
The Wicker Man (Original)
Limitless
The Red Shoes
Dogsville
Goodfellas
Requiem For A Dream
The Fury
Repulsion
The Wild Bunch
Memento
Village Of The Damned
The Signal
To Kill A Mockingbird
Natural Born Killers
Amelie
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Boyz N The Hood
American History X
Mean Streets
The Masque Of The Red Death
The Hustler
Angel
Assault On Precinct 13 (Original)
There Will Be Blood
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Audition
The Illusionist
Shane
Donnie Darko
Metropolis
Kill Bill Volume 1
Profundo Rosso
Solaris (Original)
LA Confidential
Sunset Boulevard
Millers Crossing
The Andromeda Strain
Die Hard
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
Gladiator
Casablanca
Once Were Warriors
Alien
Aliens
Some Like It Hot
The Shining
Apocalypse Now
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
The Killing Fields
The Seventh Seal
Videodrome
The Sting
Gangs Of New York
Gran Turino
Inception
Charley Varrick
Rabid
Se7en
Frantic
On The Beach (Original)
Brotherhood Of The Wolf
The Usual Suspects
Heat
Rec (Original)
Hidden
The Terminator 1&2
Schindlers List
Reservoir Dogs
Westworld
Starter For 10
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Quiller Memorandum
Lethal Weapon
Ronin
All Quiet On The Western Front
Being John Malkovich
The Day Of The Jackal
The Pianist
Mulholland Drive

(Just for a few.....)

:plain:

dreadknought

What is everyone's top favorites anyway? Mine are:

Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Gladiator

I thought about what would be on my list for a while yesterday, came up with this:

The Robe
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
12 Angry Men
Dr. Strangelove
The Pink Panther; Shot in the Dark; The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Spaceballs
Mall Rats
Grumpy Old Men; Grumpier Old Men
Star Trek (new) ; The Wrath of Khan; First Contact; Insurrection
The Matrix Trilogy
The Bourne Trilogy
Star Wars (all)
Pirates of the Caribbean (all)
Alien; Aliens
The Green Mile
With Honors
As Good as it Gets
Shrek
Monsters Inc.
The Natural
Goldeneye
Iron Man 1 & 2
The Book of Eli
Rocky; Rocky 2
Hollywood Knights
Dazed and Confused
Young Frankenstein
Breaking Away
Hoosiers
Patton
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Amadeus
The Big Chill
Caddyshack
Dances with Wolves
Good Will Hunting
Shawshank Redemption
Kingdom of Heaven
Batman Begins; The Dark Knight
Almost Famous
Gran Tourino
Gladiator
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Oscar

:wave2:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Russel Crowe has signed on for the lead in an upcoming movie about Noah.

This is Aronofsky’s follow-up to his Oscar-nominated smash Black Swan. Noah now joins a bevy of Biblical films including Steve Spielberg’s gritty Moses re-telling for Warner Bros. (Interestingly, Aronofsky briefly flirted with helming Exodus, a Fox/Chernin Entertainment-produced telling of the story of Moses.) ”Since I was a kid, I have been moved and inspired by the story of Noah and his family’s journey,” Aronofsky said during Noah’s development process. “The imaginations of countless generations have sparked to this epic story of faith. It’s my hope that I can present a window into Noah’s passion and perseverance for the silver screen.”​

--Deadline New York

The Berean

Prolly cos you're too busy changing avatars....:plain:

Anyhoooo, my current gripe with current cinema is the influx of 'reboots' etc. There's films less than 10 - 20 years old that are getting this 'makeover' treatment which is darn annoying. What is the point of 'remaking' 'Total Recall' to point to one such example? I know Hollywood is hardly renowned for originality as forte nowadays but this fad is overshadowing projects simply for bucks....

:plain:
Wait?! There is a Total Recall remake? :jawdrop: I was 22 years old whe the original was released! I'm sorry but there is no way Colin Ferrell can come close to Arnold's best line from the movie.

"Consider that a divorce!"

However, a Kate Bekinsale vs Jessica Biel girl fight would be entertaining. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Going to see The Hunger Games in a bit. Could I post a review here, or are we avoiding spoilers?

I'd say start with a general review and then give a SPOILER ALERT warning if you're about to give away something you believe the next guy might want to discover while actually watching the movie.

Son of Jack

I'd say start with a general review and then give a SPOILER ALERT warning if you're about to give away something you believe the next guy might want to discover while actually watching the movie.

:thumb: I'm pretty excited about it. Other people who have read the series and seen the movie already have told me that they really enjoyed the movie.

Son of Jack

:thumb: I'm pretty excited about it. Other people who have read the series and seen the movie already have told me that they really enjoyed the movie.

Well, I'm back...and I'm mildly disappointed. While the story remained, more or less, intact, I thought that the acting was lacking. I thought the movie makers managed to make the most important characters seem small. I was frustrated by the dialogue they left out. At first, the movie makers did a good job of making the world of Panem seem large, but as the movie progressed, I felt like it kept getting smaller and smaller. It all just seemed lazily and haphazardly done. Everything was underdeveloped.

If you really want to enjoy the story and get Collins' point, read the books and don't judge her story by the movies, at least not the first one.

:sigh:

Maybe my expectations were too high...:idunno:

Quincy

I'm going to catch a double play tomorrow. The Woman in Black and The Hunger Games. I don't go to the movies often but when I do, I do. I hope they are as good as people say. Anyone seen The Woman in Black?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, I'm back...and I'm mildly disappointed. While the story remained, more or less, intact, I thought that the acting was lacking. I thought the movie makers managed to make the most important characters seem small. I was frustrated by the dialogue they left out. At first, the movie makers did a good job of making the world of Panem seem large, but as the movie progressed, I felt like it kept getting smaller and smaller. It all just seemed lazily and haphazardly done. Everything was underdeveloped.

If you really want to enjoy the story and get Collins' point, read the books and don't judge her story by the movies, at least not the first one.

:sigh:

Maybe my expectations were too high...:idunno:
Sounds like what happened to me with Star Wars. I read the book first and it hurt my first viewing of the film. It wasn't awful, but it was a real let down from what had gone on in my head. Then a friend wanted to go and see it and I went with him and, without the expectations I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it that second time. See it again when it comes out on DVD.

Arthur Brain

I'm going to catch a double play tomorrow. The Woman in Black and The Hunger Games. I don't go to the movies often but when I do, I do. I hope they are as good as people say. Anyone seen The Woman in Black?

Yes, and not half bad for a period piece chiller despite my reservations. I wouldn't say it's a classic but it's well done, and Daniel Radcliffe gives a fine performance in it to be fair. Worth catching IMO....

:e4e:

Quincy

Thanks Arthur, I was a little worried it wouldn't be that good but if you say it's worth watching then I am sure it is :e4e: .

I just hope it isn't too scary, while I don't mind chilling and haunting at all, too much make you jump out of your seat frights get to me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks Arthur, I was a little worried it wouldn't be that good but if you say it's worth watching then I am sure it is :e4e: .

I just hope it isn't too scary, while I don't mind chilling and haunting at all, too much make you jump out of your seat frights get to me.
Did either of you see the horror film with Daniel Craig? I have it from Netflix, along with Hugo and will likely watch both tonight and tomorrow.