Give me your tired, poor, huddled masses

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The use of sharia courts wouldn't supersede US law, in the same way that diocesan courts work within US legal structures.

I really don't know what you are worried about.
I really don't know why you like sharia law so much.

gcthomas

I really don't know why you like sharia law so much.

I don't particularly like it at all, but you can't tell me why you would want it banned. It wouldn't affect you, especially as one of the sharia laws prevents then from applying to non-Muslims.

ClimateSanity

Sharia law permits the stoning of women for adultery. If a prostitute found herself in a Sharia governed neighborhood, men would be permitted to stone her to death. If American courts dared to sentence these men, there would be uncontrollable rioting in the streets and acts of terror until their men were released from prison.

ClimateSanity

Also, allowing one set of Americans to be governed by a different set of laws creates a segregated society. This is the opposite of assimilation. You are creating the conditions for one section of the country to be at war against other sections of the country.

gcthomas

Yes I have.
Dou mean this?

Why on earth would you EVER want a law that FORCES women to do all those horrible things, like being stoned to death, raped, mutilated, or made to cover their entire body?
Not to mention all the horrid things they deem "acceptable" to do to non-muslims.

Hmm.

Stoning almost never happens, even in countries where it is legal. Body covering clothes are a Saudi Arabian social rule, and not a sharia law, and as such are not required in most Muslim nations. Rapes are not sharia, either. They are ignorant, rural, cultural behaviours.

And, as I said, Sharia does not itself apply to non-Muslims, that is one of the Sharia Laws, even if some countries do have strict national statutes that go beyond Sharia requirements. And since stoning, rape and mutilation would remain illegal in the US, even if sharia courts were being uses to mediate divorces etc, they would not be permitted.

So, is that your entire objection? It seems to be the result of fear and misunderstanding, rather than a real issue with Sharia courts as they are actually practised in western countries by western Muslims.

ClimateSanity

Here is the point of assimilation when it comes to immigration: Is it better for society as a whole if we have a nation of various people who are Americans first and their sub culture second ? Or, do we want a nation of disparate peoples whose main allegiance is to their sub culture and country of origin and who happen to live here as Americans for the sole purpose of the lifestyle and prosperity it affords?

I say the latter is a recipe for disaster.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dou mean this?
YES!
And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Hmm.

Stoning almost never happens,
How much are you calling "almost never"???????

even in countries where it is legal. Body covering clothes are a Saudi Arabian social rule, and not a sharia law, and as such are not required in most Muslim nations. Rapes are not sharia, either. They are ignorant, rural, cultural behaviours.
Yes it is!
A husband is allowed to rape his wife, and any servant or slave he possesses.
They can have acid thrown in their face, cut up, beaten, etc.
We see this sort of things reported all the time, and that's just what has been REPORTED.

And, as I said, Sharia does not itself apply to non-Muslims,
YES it does!
One can be killed or maimed for associating with an non-muslim or wanting to become a non-muslim.

So, is that your entire objection? It seems to be the result of fear and misunderstanding, rather than a real issue with Sharia courts as they are actually practised in western countries by western Muslims.
No, it is not my ENTIRE objection to it.
It would take a book to list all my objections to it.

It's a filthy, barbaric, non-biblical way of life, and most in the USA want nothing to do with it.
And they have plenty of good reasons to reject it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here is the point of assimilation when it comes to immigration: Is it better for society as a whole if we have a nation of various people who are Americans first and their sub culture second ? Or, do we want a nation of disparate peoples whose main allegiance is to their sub culture and country of origin and who happen to live here as Americans for the sole purpose of the lifestyle and prosperity it affords?

I say the latter is a recipe for disaster.
Atta boy!
Don't let these naive people sway you that sharia law is "not so bad".

It's BAD!

gcthomas

It's a filthy, barbaric, non-biblical way of life, and most in the USA want nothing to do with it.
And they have plenty of good reasons to reject it.

This is the crux of it — you can't stand having culturally or racially different people treated as Americans with the traditional American religious freedoms that you value so highly.

Your objections are to the behaviours of people in other countries, not of American or European Muslims. You just don't want people to have the religious freedoms that you value so much.