Give me your tired, poor, huddled masses

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What racist practice was in place in our immigration policy prior to 1965?
You don't even know what the point of the act was that you cite as the real reason for using 1965? :plain:

Spoiler
giphy.gif

ClimateSanity

You don't even know what the point of the act was that you cite as the real reason for using 1965? :plain:

Spoiler
giphy.gif
If you are saying the point of the legislation was to remove racism from our immigration policy, it's irrelevant to my question.

Just because the murdering skirt chaser Kennedy found our immigration policy to be racist doesn't make it so. You seem to be of a mindset that says if Kennedy says it....that settles it....it's fact.

Both you and the woman drowner need to make your case that our immigration policy was racist before that legislation.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you are saying the point of the legislation was to remove racism from our immigration policy, it's irrelevant to my question.
You're the one caught up in your question. So what was your notion of the American culture that lived pre and died after 1965? You keep asking me to define a thing you say was present, wasn't racial, and remains unparticularlized by you. It's your flag. You plant it.

Just because the murdering skirt chaser Kennedy found our immigration policy to be racist doesn't make it so.
It still wasn't his bill, but your need to run down that hole speaks volumes.

You seem to be of a mindset that says if Kennedy says it....that settles it....it's fact.
Nothing in anything I wrote remotely justifies any part of that. What did Kennedy say? I couldn't tell you. I know he worked for it, but didn't author it. That's about it.

You said that was the point of your 1965 death of a culture you won't define with any particularity (while repeatedly trying to get me to do it for you) and I just chuckled at you for not appearing to understand much of anything to do with your position. Certainly not evidencing any PARTICULAR understanding.

The Hart-Celler Act blew up the Johnson-Reed Act.
[FONT=&quot]
As historian John Higham observed in his account of the 1924 Johnson-Reed Act: "Nativists during this period argued that the so-called new immigration from southern and eastern Europe was racially inferior to the 'old immigration' from northern and western Europe. It was therefore polluting the nation's bloodstream."1[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The 1924 law established a quota system based on national origins. It directed nearly 70 percent of the immigration slots to northern Europeans, cutting back drastically on immigration from southern and eastern Europe. It maintained formidable barriers against immigration from Asia and Africa, while leaving immigration from the Western Hemisphere unrestricted — a gesture of hemispheric solidarity that also served the cheap-labor interests of American employers. - Center for Immigration Studies, 2015
[/FONT]

ClimateSanity

You're the one caught up in your question......town. so, if I have to beg you to answer my question it means I'm caught up in it??? You also made that statement as if I'm the problem for demanding answers. If you refuse to answer my question, just say so. Just don't pretend like you did answer because you made a reply with stuff I never asked about. A reply does not equal an answer.

ClimateSanity

You keep asking me to define a thing you say was present, wasn't racial, and remains unparticularlized by you. It's your flag. You plant it......town.

I made a post and you mocked it without saying why. I assume you mocked it because you don't believe there ever was a single American culture. If that was not one of the things you were mocking, then please clearly list the reasons you mocked my post.

ClimateSanity

It still wasn't his bill, but your need to run down that hole speaks volumes. .....town

His name was not on the bill. Does that mean he wasn't the main agitator for its passage? If Kennedy was not who you say claimed prior immigration policy was racist, then who was it that made the claim? If you can't do that, why do you say that was the point of the legislation? Beyond all that, what makes you believe prior immigration policy was racist?

ClimateSanity

You said that was the point of your 1965 death of a culture you won't define with any particularity (while repeatedly trying to get me to do it for you) and I just chuckled at you for not appearing to understand much of anything to do with your position. Certainly not evidencing any PARTICULAR understanding......town.

So you mocked the post because you don't believe i understand what I'm talking about? Spell out what it is you think you understand and that I don't.

ClimateSanity

The Hart-Celler Act blew up the Johnson-Reed Act......town.

Was this the sole purpose of the 1965 legislation? If so, you have a point. The big issue is what was the new policy that was put in place? And more importantly, what were the objectives of the new legislation? Was it solely to remove prior racist provisions or were there other reasons?

Most importantly of all to know is what the objective of immigration policy was prior to 1965. Was it merely to keep out " low life scum from southern Europe and Africa" or was there a deeper set of values they were trying to follow?

Do you know any of this? Do you care? I doubt it. It seems racism is the only issue that you care about. Do you care about the way of life that developed in America that made it radically different than the rest of the world? Don't you want an immigration system that seeks to do its part in maintaining that superior way of life?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so, if I have to beg you to answer my question it means I'm caught up in it???
Rather, if you advance a monolithic cultural that "allows" others to exist, along with a sudden shift down to the very year in question, without presenting any particulars that would define that culture, define the particulars of the instrumental shift, well, then it's time for you to step out of the shadow of your conviction and tell everyone precisely what constituted the culture you claim existed, what particularly ended it and how.

Otherwise you aren't really saying anything, if repeatedly.

His name was not on the bill. Does that mean he wasn't the main agitator for its passage?
Agitator? That's an interesting choice of words, historically speaking. I said he worked to see it passed. You called it his. It wasn't. Not sure why any of that matters except as another distraction while you fail to get into what you mean precisely.

If Kennedy was not who you say claimed prior immigration policy was racist, then who was it that made the claim?
I literally quoted an esteemed historian on the point of the immigration policy. Kennedy is your fixation and rabbit hole to run into. Here it is, again:

The Hart-Celler Act blew up the Johnson-Reed Act.

As historian John Higham [not to be confused with Ted Kennedy] observed in his account of the 1924 Johnson-Reed Act: "Nativists during this period argued that the so-called new immigration from southern and eastern Europe was racially inferior to the 'old immigration' from northern and western Europe. It was therefore polluting the nation's bloodstream."1

And what did this prior act do, pray tell?

The 1924 law established a quota system based on national origins. It directed nearly 70 percent of the immigration slots to northern Europeans, cutting back drastically on immigration from southern and eastern Europe. It maintained formidable barriers against immigration from Asia and Africa, while leaving immigration from the Western Hemisphere unrestricted — a gesture of hemispheric solidarity that also served the cheap-labor interests of American employers. - Center for Immigration Studies, 2015

Northern Europeans. Care to take a stab at their racial profile? And the new, also-not-drafted-by-a-Kennedy act did what again?

It abolished the quota system, which critics condemned as a racist contradiction of fundamental American values. By liberalizing the rules for immigration, especially by prioritizing family reunification, it also stimulated rapid growth of immigration numbers...

"The 1965 immigration law quickly transformed the ethnic portrait of the United States,"2 scholars have noted. At first the new immigration came largely from southern Europe, especially Italy. But that stream played out in about a decade...By 1980, most immigrants were coming from Latin America, Asia, and Africa — in numbers far greater than the annual average of 300,000 that had prevailed during the 1960s. - Center for Immigration Studies, 2015

Now that's what an answer with particulars looks like.

It seems racism is the only issue that you care about.
No, but it's a pretty important one. It only seems singular to people who don't pay attention. Abortion matters to me. How Christians witness and behave in life matters to me. Affordable healthcare matters. Gun rights matter. The right to representation matters to me. All sorts of things. But right now we appear to largely be talking around the first. We'll see when or if you ever support your general battle cry with particulars.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
The irony is that it was America's poor and huddled masses in the "Rust Belt" states that were instrumental in voting Trump into office and have been patiently spenting the last 7 months waiting for him to get his act together and deliver on his promises!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The irony is that it was America's poor and huddled masses in the "Rust Belt" states that were instrumental in voting Trump into office and have been patiently spenting the last 7 months waiting for him to get his act together and deliver on his promises!

They allowed someone who is a known serial liar and con-man to deceive them. Their vote is helping to destroy the country. I for one do not feel sorry for any one of them who will end up worse off due to their own foolishness.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
They allowed someone who is a known serial liar and con-man to deceive them. Their vote is helping to destroy the country. I for one do not feel sorry for any one of them who will end up worse off due to their own foolishness.

:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:

Desperate people who feel that they are literally drowning and are willing grasp hold of anybody or anything in the hope of being rescued!

"Donald J." may be a total loss as a president, but has been reasonably successful in sales and promoting his brand!

:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because there are certain fish that shouldn't be let off the hook easily, CS made what seemed to me a fairly (if veiled) racist supposition about "American Culture." One that "allowed" "subcultures" to exist with it and how that changed in 1965.
You don't recognize a single American culture from 1787 until 1965? I do, and that still allows for various subcultures to exist simultaneously.

Then postured outrage for being mocked on the advance.
Too much for you to understand and therefore you mock it?
Oh, I understood you. You mistake color for culture and the presence of minorities as an allowance. If you don't do something about that you'll be a part of the actual problem at some point instead of the thing that makes the problem possible.

And at first blush he appeared to have a counter.
I didn't choose 1965 because of the civil rights act imbecile. Get your mind on something else besides race. That's part of whats wrong with this country.

Except that he chose the year because of the Hart-Celler Act. What did the Act do? It abolished fairly racist immigration policy that had given favorable treatment to northern Europeans while significantly limiting immigration from countries with a majority of non-white peoples.

"The 1965 immigration law quickly transformed the ethnic portrait of the United States,"

2 scholars have noted. At first the new immigration came largely from southern Europe, especially Italy. But that stream played out in about a decade...By 1980, most immigrants were coming from Latin America, Asia, and Africa — in numbers far greater than the annual average of 300,000 that had prevailed during the 1960s. - Center for Immigration Studies, 2015

Which was nearly lost in CS's new tactic, demanding I see and define this "Amercian culture" he said existed until that Act and permitted other subcultures to exist within it.

So while huffing and puffing about race not being the card he played, the only card he managed to put on the table was steeped in it and when called upon, repeatedly, to name what else he could have been speaking to...crickets.

It seems racism is the only issue that you care about.
No, but it's a pretty important one...right now we appear to largely be talking around [the essentially racist notion by CS]. We'll see when or if you ever support your general battle cry with particulars.

The particulars I called for? A definition of that American culture that wouldn't be steeped in race along with a reading of why Hart-Celler ended it.

And we're still waiting.

Last edited: