Give me your tired, poor, huddled masses

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, but I have.
You not only didn't, you don't appear to recognize what the question was and is, which is odd given how often I've put it out there and how clearly I framed it.

Clear as a bell.
No, clear as a bell would be, "I object to any court other than the one sponsored by the law of the land. I don't want religious or other mediating courts wielding that authority."

Or, a simple, "I don't care for courts outside of the one's we've established." Uniform and principled as objections go.

Or even, "It's just Islam for me. The other courts don't bother me."

That sort of thing. Easy-peasy. Those would be answering the question.

Ask the question any way you want to, you'll get the same response.
A response it was/an answer it wasn't.

Say NO to sharia law.
That wasn't an answer to the question.

Quit trying to make it seem respectable or noble.
Nothing in my question did that.

LISTEN UP! :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This poem by Emma Lazarus does not mean our immigration policy is to let any and all comers come in unvetted simply because they are poor, tired and huddled. It was never meant to advocate an open borders policy.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/19283...rty-promote-immigration-dumb-elliott-hamilton

Here is one commenters thoughts:

My Bachelor's Degree is in History. Somehow I missed the law passed by Congress and signed by the President that gave Poets control over US Immigration Policy. Perhaps Acosta can point out to me when and how that happened?
Why attacking poets and trying to make a point no one is arguing is dumb: because you'll look goofy and no one is arguing it, respectively.

Now a great deal of what our founders put together was fairly poetic in the course of things. The Declaration of Independence is a rhetorically wonderful bit of writing, with or without legal force. Many of the documents we honor as a nation, a great deal of the national sentiment and expectation, aren't reduced to something as dry as the law must be, but those thoughts guide that law, support it like bone.

And the law, often as not, reflects our aspirations and our highest ideas. When it fails to do that, outside of the pragmatic and mundane (like traffic court) it tends to find itself challenged and undone in time, by process (see: Suffrage/Civil Rights Movement) or by some other means (see: the Civil War).

The poem noted in its relation to the Statue of Liberty is one of the aspiration variety. It was nobler than popular sentiment when written. Apparently it's nobler today as well. Then again, we've always had a problem with the new guy and the Irish found that out the hard way, as did the Italians, as have most minorities. But despite our worst impulses and resistance we've kept moving toward and fighting for better ideas. That's one thing that distinguishes our social experiment from most. We aren't a noble people, never have been. But we've always dreamed of being and at our best our laws and our poems reflect that impulse, that hope.

That, as I'm prone to say, ain't hay.

gcthomas

Have a look at the sharia law you idiots are so quick to want to embrace as "not so bad".

Burkas are a Saudi Arabian Wahhabist social practice, so not one that is followed by other Muslim countries or Western muslims as a whole. Since it is largely limited to one country, it is not a requirement of Sharia Law to wear such.

But I've pointed out this mistake before, and you didn't appreciate the correction. Ho hum.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Burkas are a Saudi Arabian Wahhabist social practice, so not one that is followed by other Muslim countries or Western muslims as a whole. Since it is largely limited to one country, it is not a requirement of Sharia Law to wear such.

But I've pointed out this mistake before, and you didn't appreciate the correction. Ho hum.
There is no separation of sharia law and islamic law.
It is all inclusive.
Sharia law is just commentary and guidelines of the over all Islamic law.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It is all inclusive.
Actually, as I noted and linked with glass, you have a number of countries where the criminal element of Islamic law isn't in play and it's use is limited to personal matters, like divorce, custody, inheritance, that sort of thing.

gcthomas

It is all inclusive.

You seem to respond each time in ignorance of what I wrote before.

Please read this time: Burkas are SAUDI customary dress, based on specifically WAHABBIST fundamentalist interpretations that ARE NOT held by Muslims in general. They are not required by the widely held Sharia law.

Edit. You seem to be under the illusion that there is ONE interpretation of Sharia, and that if you can find an extremist version then you can apply that slander to ALL Muslims. Is that right? Are you that wrong?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You seem to be under the illusion that there is ONE interpretation of Sharia, and that if you can find an extremist version then you can apply that slander to ALL Muslims. Is that right?
Not right.
You seem to assume a lot.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You usually do.
Well, no. You're about as hard to read as the alphabet. But I can see how you'd want that to be true and I've seen your propensity for declaring things as true when you really want them to be...

I did go back and sort through your posts to find this:

Should we also ban diocesan tribunals and rabbinical courts? If not, why not?
As a law for the USA?
Of course.

So it wasn't my missing anything so much as your not saying it to me. And even then, those courts aren't "law for the USA". They're on par with mediation and must operate within the law.

gcthomas

Not right.
You seem to assume a lot.

Have you ever met or spoken to any Muslims? Have you visited a mosque or read what a Western Sharia Court actually does?

They are better referred to as Councils, rather than courts, since they cannot overrule or ignore the laws of the land.

What do they do, then?

Well, the major aspect is dealing with the religious marriages and divorce where this won't be covered by civil marriage law. They give advice on religious rules (laws, as they are called). Feuding couples in the UK must, by law, at least consider arbitration before going to court, and these Councils provide one way of doing that. And any divorce settlement must be signed off by a UK Court.

This is a link to one such "Shaira Court" as it operates in the UK. Please look there and tell me what you can object to.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

You were just reminded that Sharia law does not require burquas. You have a lot of misunderstandings about what it is. Where it exists in the United States, it is of necessity limited to voluntary mediation in civil matters, like some Jewish or Christian sects do.

Much hysteria over nothing.

gcthomas

Oh lordy, here we go again!

What if I were to give you a number of how many I have spoken to, and you give me a number of how many you have spoken to?
It that going to decide who is right?

No, of course not dimbo. I that what you think I meant?

The questions were to see if you had a good reason for not understanding the first thing about western Muslim culture. Or whether you are just blinded by the Fox News, alt-right hysterical bigotry.

Which is it? Have you made the effort to read past the manipulative TV bubble you watch to find the reality? Have you, at all, tried to engage with the real people you are demonizing? The Muslim American moms, dads, uncles and teenage grand children having their Sunday BBQs and going to work for American companies and paying their tax dollars?

Last edited:

Danoh

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

This kind of thread often reminds me of the three kinds of people often depicted in those old, "strange visitor from another planet" movies.

There is the fool Liberal; who would rush in with open arms.

And the fool Religionist Rightist; who immediately wants to do away with the strange visitor.

And then there is that representative of the better part of wisdom; who proceeds with both weapon at the ready, and cautionary respect at a safe distance; while not only carefully sorting for, towards weighing out the things that differ throughout, before deciding on a course of action, but just as ready to pull the trigger should said caution be messed with.

Too many on these threads too often reflect one or the other of those first two.

And too many on these threads apparantly like to think of themselves as the third of those three.

There is...no reasoning with such.

Rom. 5:8