For Those Who Still Insist That There Was Election Fraud

Arthur Brain

Nope. You've gotten it completely backward.

No surprise there.

The scientific process begins with ideas. Ideas are tested against evidence, logic and reason. The sources of the ideas are an irrelevant consideration.

You have it entirely backward, but are going to keep insisting that things must be as you say.

"Science" begins with an "s."

The scientific process begins with ideas. It does not matter what the idea is, how it arose or how firmly its adherents hold to it.

You are anti-science.

You would say that. You need fluff like this to pad every post you make because none of them contain anything constructive.
Nope. For something to become established as a theory in science then evidence is obviously an integral component to that coming about. That should be obvious even to you. Your latter, ironically, would blow up an irony meter if there were any left.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure. There was also Powell's kraken (what happened to that?) Giuliani's briefings outside adult bookstores, Lindell's symposium that claimed to provide incontrovertible proof of election fraud etc etc etc...only the woefully gullible and uninformed took any of them seriously.

Your uninformed opinion is of no relevance.

That's what you were doing with that thread of yours wasn't it?

The thread that someone else started seeking examples of me being shown up in science discussions, but which quickly filled with numerous examples of me explaining scientific points to people? Heck, there were even quotes such as: "I have to give you that one. I did not know that" regarding the uneven distribution of the moon's mass.

Nothing from the guy who I had to explain wave orbitals to...

You mean that thread?

Go ahead, I guess. :LOL:

Fair enough, maybe I just confused you with one...
Now you think cities are people?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For something to become established as a theory in science then evidence is obviously an integral component to that coming about.
Nope.

Theories never become established.

Science is the process of throwing theories out.

If you've got an "established theory," what you have is a cult.

You know nothing about the philosophy of science.

Arthur Brain

Nope.

Theories never become established.

Science is the process of throwing theories out.

If you've got an established theory, what you have is a cult.

You know nothing about the philosophy of science.
"Science is the process of throwing theories out"?

Don't quit your day job Stripe...

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Science is the process of throwing theories out"?
That's right.

It's not about "establishing theories."

Scientists hold onto their ideas lightly, as the scientific process is to attack them, expose them and eradicate them. They must hold firm to the laws of physics, logic and maths, while eschewing any attachment to theories.

Arthur Brain

Your uninformed opinion is of no relevance.

The thread that someone else started seeking examples of me being shown up in science discussions, but which quickly filled with numerous examples of me explaining scientific points to people? Heck, there were even quotes such as: "I have to give you that one. I did not know that" regarding the uneven distribution of the moon's mass.

Nothing from the guy who I had to explain wave orbitals to...

You mean that thread?

Go ahead, I guess. :LOL:

Now you think cities are people?
I leave uninformed opinions to conspiracy nuts and reality deniers.

Oh, I remember that thread too! Was rather entertaining too but not in the same way that you seem to recall through those rose tinted glasses. Anyway, no, I was referring to that laugh riot one you made about law.

No you strange person...

Arthur Brain

That's right.

It's not about "establishing theories."

Scientists hold onto their ideas lightly, as the scientific process is to attack them, expose them and eradicate them. They must hold firm to the laws of physics and maths, while eschewing any attachment to theories.
Do you get this stuff from crisp packets or something? Just laughable.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you get this stuff from crisp packets or something? Just laughable.
Karl Popper:

Every genuine scientific theory then, in Popper’s view, is prohibitive, because the theories of natural science take the form of universal statements. “All As are X” is equivalent to “No A is not-X” which is falsified if “Some A is not-X” turns out to be true. For example, the law of the conservation of energy can be expressed as “There is no perpetual motion machine”.

However, the universality of such laws, he argues, does rule out the possibility of their verification. Thus, a theory that has withstood rigorous testing should be deemed to have received a high measure of corroboration. and may be retained provisionally as the best available theory until it is finally falsified and/or is superseded by a better theory.

Popper stresses in particular that there is no unique way, no single method such as induction, which functions as the route to scientific theory, and approvingly cites Einstein on that point:

There is no logical path leading to [the highly universal laws of science]. They can only be reached by intuition, based upon something like an intellectual love of the objects of experience. (2002: 8–9)

Science, in Popper’s view, starts with problems rather than with observations—it is, indeed, precisely in the context of grappling with a problem that the scientist makes observations in the first instance: his observations are selectively designed to test the extent to which a given theory functions as a satisfactory solution to a given problem.

So, no. Not a bag of potato chips.

Arthur Brain

Karl Popper:

Every genuine scientific theory then, in Popper’s view, is prohibitive, because the theories of natural science take the form of universal statements. “All As are X” is equivalent to “No A is not-X” which is falsified if “Some A is not-X” turns out to be true. For example, the law of the conservation of energy can be expressed as “There is no perpetual motion machine”.

However, the universality of such laws, he argues, does rule out the possibility of their verification. Thus, a theory that has withstood rigorous testing should be deemed to have received a high measure of corroboration. and may be retained provisionally as the best available theory until it is finally falsified and/or is superseded by a better theory.

Popper stresses in particular that there is no unique way, no single method such as induction, which functions as the route to scientific theory, and approvingly cites Einstein on that point:

There is no logical path leading to [the highly universal laws of science]. They can only be reached by intuition, based upon something like an intellectual love of the objects of experience. (2002: 8–9)

Science, in Popper’s view, starts with problems rather than with observations—it is, indeed, precisely in the context of grappling with a problem that the scientist makes observations in the first instance: his observations are selectively designed to test the extent to which a given theory functions as a satisfactory solution to a given problem.

So, no. Not a bag of potato chips.
That does not equate to "science is the process of throwing theories out".

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That does not equate to "science is the process of throwing theories out".

Of course it does.

"A theory that has withstood rigorous testing should be deemed to have received a high measure of corroboration. and may be retained provisionally as the best available theory until it is finally falsified and/or is superseded by a better theory."

Another clear example of your dogged determination to disagree.

Or perhaps your comprehension abilities match your knowledge of geography.

Arthur Brain

Of course it does.

"A theory that has withstood rigorous testing should be deemed to have received a high measure of corroboration. and may be retained provisionally as the best available theory until it is finally falsified and/or is superseded by a better theory."

Another clear example of your dogged determination to disagree.

Or perhaps your comprehension abilities match your knowledge of geography.
That still doesn't equate to "science is the process of throwing theories out" as you said so get your comprehension abilities in order yourself. Popper had some interesting points of view and where it comes to science he certainly gives some food for thought but science is not one man's opinion. Theories are constantly prone to rigorous testing, scrutiny etc as they should be and if they don't hold up then are either discarded or modified depending. That's how science works and if a theory becomes so established as with evolution for example then it's still prone to the above - but it's not going to be falsified but more amended as as you should be aware, a theory in science is not the same as a theory in general.

You really aren't one to be talking about geography when you're silly enough to call me a foreigner, goofball.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That still doesn't equate to "science is the process of throwing theories out."

:LOL:

Popper had some interesting points of view and where it comes to science he certainly gives some food for thought but science is not one man's opinion.

Did someone claim that "science is one man's opinion"?

Answer: No. Nobody claimed any such thing.

"The game of science is, in principle, without end. He who decides one day that scientific statements do not call for any further test, and that they can be regarded as finally verified, retires from the game."

Theories are constantly prone to rigorous testing, scrutiny etc as they should be

Which completely undermines your idea of an "established theory."

If they don't hold up then are either discarded or modified depending. That's how science works...

Oh. Really? So what you're saying is that the testing of theories never stops and when they fail they are discarded and that this is how "science works," but science is in no way, never, and completely not the process of throwing out ideas.

Gotcha.

if a theory becomes so established

Theories don't get established, remember?

evolution for example
Darwinism isn't a theory. It's a cult kept alive by God-hating, anti-science imbeciles and useful idiots, such as yourself.

It failed the law of entropy test at its inception.

It's not going to be falsified but more amended

Nope. Theories must always be falsifiable and not amendable. They should be as specific, rigid and improbable as they can be. Darwinism is none of those.

A theory in science is not the same as a theory in general.

Well there's a platitude that you understand not at all. Explain: What is a theory "in general" and why can it not be subjected to the scientific process?

You really aren't one to be talking about geography when you're silly enough to call me a foreigner, goofball.

You live in Taiwan now?

Get out of town.