Did Obama surveil Trump

exminister

Providing information to the electorate is not meddling in politics. Any country is free to let our electorate know any information. Freedom of speech ya know.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

so you are OK with hacking regardless of who it hurts? I think it will have untold affects on the US beyond this current instance.

Also you realize Comey and many Republicans say it was meddling and Russia has been doing it for many years? You are OK with our foes getting stuff over on us and stealing our vital information? Hmmm - Are you an anarchist? Your responses would make sense if so.

exminister

works for me :idunno:

it kept hillary out of the white house :banana:

Works for me too. It really is exposing our cyber wall weakness and waking up both sides of the aisle. Hopefully, they will take action in the interest of protecting our national assets and not play into Putin's hands. What harmed Hillary this time could well harmed the right's favored candidate next time.

Americas will do the right thing, after they have tried everything else - Winston Churchill.

fool

Hall of Fame
The Russian successfully meddled in our politics by strategically hacking and putting out boring DNC emails. Trump jumped right on it strategically which is fine as long as he wasn't colluding or members of campaign. Comey for some unknown reason had to report it and then take it back, which he didn't do with the Trump campaign even though they were looking into that as well. So it is a real bad cluster mess.
I bolded two things up there, you have your Clinton E-mail cluster messes combined.
There were two cluster messes, or actually two and a half. With one waiting in the wings.

FIRST: When Secretary of State she did business on an unsecured private server at her house, when her E-mail got subpoenaed she deleted 30,000 e-mails that she deemed as "private", wiped the server with bleachbit, and handed the e-mails over to her lawyers for sanitizing. Then turned them in.
The FBI found classified information on these e-mails that had been God knows where on a thumbdrive including her lawyers office and of course the un-secured server at her house.
They decided that she had been extremely careless but declined to prosecute because she was too stupid to know better.
This is what Trump was referring to when he said "Maybe the Russians can find them".
This wrapped up right before the convention and the Clinton heads take "Extremely Careless" as an exoneration so all was good.

SECOND: Her campaign head John Podesta got phished and gave away his password to someone.
Who then copied all his mail and gave it to wikileaks who started releasing it in October, their "October Surprise". Note; it does not take a Nation State to send a guy and e-mail saying "Please Verify login and password". But, some people are certain it was the Russians. Then these internal e-mails from the Hillary campaign were released in weekly packets showing the DNC and the media colluding with Hillary to defeat her primary rival Bernie Sanders and make her look like exactly what she is.

One point five: The Secretary of State e-mail cluster mess comes back around for more. Her assistant and body person Huma Abeidin (who's gorgeous by the way) is married to Anthony Weiner (yes THAT Anthony Weiner) and he's been sending nudes to underage girls AGAIN. So the laptop he pursues this hobby on is in an evidence envelope downtown and guess what? Huma had an account on there where she had e-mails from Hillary when Secretary of State. So Comey has to go back before Congress who he had told that she was careless and tell them "But wait! There's more!" but we got to look at it. And then comes back and says there's carelessness with classified information but it's all ones we knew were out there this is just one more way they could have leaked blah blah blah we said she was stupid already.

Then the other one:
Right before the election it came out (perhaps from the Huma laptop, not sure) that Hills would send her housekeeper e-mail so she could print them out for reading at home because she apparently hates trees and her old eyes get tired (as do mine). That mac book that was the receiver has never been found and I don't think they know where the housekeeper is either? Anyone?
So, whenever that turns up we can do this all again won't that be fun?

fool

Hall of Fame
so you are OK with hacking regardless of who it hurts? I think it will have untold affects on the US beyond this current instance.

Also you realize Comey and many Republicans say it was meddling and Russia has been doing it for many years? You are OK with our foes getting stuff over on us and stealing our vital information? Hmmm - Are you an anarchist? Your responses would make sense if so.

Let me point something out.
People want to say that the Russians hacked Hill's Campaign but insist that nothing leaked out of her home brew, bleachbit, wiped it with a cloth or somthing server from when she was Secretary of State.
Why does anyone think those two things are both true?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So the narrative that there was no wiretapping is wrong?

There was the FISA request - and there was Trump's claim that Obama engaged in illegal wiretapping and Spicer's claim that the British did it.

There was wiretapping.

The FISA request which everyone already knows about.

And there was no evidence of collusion in anyway from the international business man who is now your President. Where is your friend rusha? You, AB, and her should go hide together.

We the public don't know who was involved, do we? The investigation is ongoing. That comes from Comey, the same person who says they have no evidence of Obama wiretapping Trump. So are you going believe Comey on the one but not the other?

I have no reason to hide, nor does Rusha or AB. Rusha's made a choice to be happy elsewhere - and I keep in touch with her so I'll let her know she's not far from your mind. :chuckle:

rexlunae

What I got from the article in the OP is that the NSA "wiretaps" the entire planet all the time since 2005.

One thing I didn't notice the first time I read the article is that the author of this article is the very Fox News wingnut commentator who Trump cited as his source for the whole wiretapping lie in the first place. So it's all leading back to the first place. But I don't think it's a defensible interpretation of Trump's claim. And aside from that, there's no evidence that I'm aware of that the NSA is wiretapping everyone. So, 'no' on every count.

So the answer would be yes, Obama wiretapped Trump.
Now that Trump is in charge it would be fair to say that Trump is "wiretapping" Obama.
And everyone else of course.

Even if the NSA or the FBI or any investigative agency had been wiretapping Trump, which according to James Comey did not happen, that wouldn't be reasonably described as "Obama" wiretapping Trump. Presidents do not have the kind of involvement in these investigations.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
yes, all of us trolls

me and nick and you and town and artie and everybody

everybody's a troll

rexlunae

Russians are free to provide information as anyone is. Would you still object if no foreign government took part in the release of that information?

It's not the disclosure itself that was a crime. The crime was the spearfishing campaign, and subsequent unauthorized access to private emails. If investigators can identify the actual culprits, I expect that they will be indicted as those who participated in the Yahoo attack have been. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b98e32-0911-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html

These are crimes that in other spheres, people regularly go to jail for, even when the stakes are much lower.

The electoral process is unhealthy if people hear information you have deemed them not worthy to know? That's the essence of totalitarianism.

Regardless, I'd bet that Trump's campaign has a few secrets that they'd prefer not to be disclosed. When criminals engage to release damaging information to influence the outcome, isn't that a serious matter that should be investigated?

It's possible that the Russians undertook this on their own without any coordination with the Trump campaign. If, however, the Trump campaign coordinated the efforts of the Russians, they are culpable in the same crimes that Russians are, with the added distinction that they are under the jurisdiction of US law. And the fact that the campaign seems to have extensive secret contacts with Russia at least raises suspicions, especially as Trump adviser Roger Stone seems to have known about the release of John Podesta's emails before it happened, and multiple Trump advisers have lied about their contacts with Russian officials. That raises questions that deserve answers.

Incidentally, Michael Flynn seems to have committed a crime by accepting payments from foreign governments as a retired military officer. Even apart from his potential role with the Russians helping Trump, that deserves investigation.
http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/resource_library/summary_emoluments_clause_restrictions.pdf