Christian Kids in the Public School

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Questions for the homeschool apologists....

What is your primary reason for homeschooling your children? Is it:

1) Moral reasons?
2) Education reasons?
3) Safety reasons?
4) Other?

Started out as purely educational reasons. Later became moral reasons (for me) and safety reasons. The week after I withdrew :jessilu: from public school in second grade, her teacher's ex-husband showed up in her classroom with a gun and held the class hostage for two days because he wanted his ex-wife to come back to him.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes; mostly because it's one-on-one reaction between the student and the teacher. The parent/teacher doesn't have to deal with 30 other kids to teach his/her one or two (or more) kids.
I agree that is part of it. Children who may need more attention can't always get it at public schools. (Although many times they might be able to but people don't take advantage of it so it's their fault). So I agree but I don't think that's the main reason. Thanks for answering.

Memento Mori

If Christian parents get involved in their kids' lives and education - even at Public School (aka, The Great Satan), those kids will excel. What my kids learned at Public School is an EXTENSION of what they learned at home. It was not either/or.

I believe it has more to do with the individual person. I mean, yes a parent can influence their child but the choice lies solely on the child. It is possible for a crack addict to come from a purely Christian home; maybe not probable but possible.

The main reason I believe the choice is with the child is my parents haven't done anything at my school but I still excel for my grade. Just this week I got second highest score on the Finals in both Algebra II and Chemistry. Plus those classes are mainly for 11th graders and I'm in 10th or was in 10th (school just got out today).

So, I wouldn't say it depends 'entirely' on the parents. Yes they are a big part but to restate the choice is in the child.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I believe it has more to do with the individual person. I mean, yes a parent can influence their child but the choice lies solely on the child. It is possible for a crack addict to come from a purely Christian home; maybe not probable but possible.
:BRAVO:

The main reason I believe the choice is with the child is my parents haven't done anything at my school but I still excel for my grade. Just this week I got second highest score on the Finals in both Algebra II and Chemistry. Plus those classes are mainly for 11th graders and I'm in 10th or was in 10th (school just got out today).
:thumb:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree that is part of it. Children who may need more attention can't always get it at public schools. (Although many times they might be able to but people don't take advantage of it so it's their fault). So I agree but I don't think that's the main reason. Thanks for answering.

Well, if I go by my daughter's actions both in public school and homeschooled, one of the reasons is that the kids cannot pull the wool over the parents' eyes by saying, "That's too hard for me!" Parents usually won't let the kids get away with that one without seeing them try it at least a few times. :chuckle:

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Do you believe that, on average, homeschoolers receive a better education than public schoolers? If yes, why?
I already answered that - it depends entirely upon the parents.

Clearly there are some public school kids who get better educations than homeschooled kids. And clearly, there are some homeschooled kids who get better educations than public school kids.

Let me give you an example: One family, in a town where I pastored 20 years ago, pulled their son out of "that Great Satan" in order to homeschool him. Problem is, they both worked full-time, and I know for a fact that the boy did nothing but mess around all day every day. They spent 3 years doing that - and completely ruined the kid. Was it the fault of "homeschooling"? No. It was the fault of the parents.

On the other hand, I could be a broad-brusher - like some of the people here - and claim that this is indicative of ALL homeschoolers...

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Clearly there are some public school kids who get better educations than homeschooled kids. And clearly, there are some homeschooled kids who get better educations than public school kids.
That's why I'm adding the "on average" part. I'm not asking about potential, I'm asking about what actually happens. What sort of education are the children getting, on average.

Let me give you an example: One family, in a town where I pastored 20 years ago, pulled their son out of "that Great Satan" in order to homeschool him. Problem is, they both worked full-time, and I know for a fact that the boy did nothing but mess around all day every day. They spent 3 years doing that - and completely ruined the kid. Was it the fault of "homeschooling"? No. It was the fault of the parents.
Yes, that is an example of homeschooling not working out. But I don't care about specific examples, I am asking about the average.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I already answered that - it depends entirely upon the parents.

On the other hand, I could be a broad-brusher - like some of the people here - and claim that this is indicative of ALL homeschoolers...

ParsonJefferson, I've decided to leave off with neg-repping you for the last sentence in this post. You need to grow a thicker skin.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned

So, I wouldn't say it depends 'entirely' on the parents. Yes they are a big part but to restate the choice is in the child.
Hey - way to go! Keep up the good work! :thumb:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ParsonJefferson, just say that your children didn't learn how to roll joints and put on condoms anywhere so that silly conversation can end. That's all you have to say.

Memento Mori

That's why I'm adding the "on average" part. I'm not asking about potential, I'm asking about what actually happens. What sort of education are the children getting, on average.

Yes, that is an example of homeschooling not working out. But I don't care about specific examples, I am asking about the average.

Actually, asking about the average probably isn't the best idea for the argument. This argument has to do with the general schooling and outcomes but once we generalize we loose possibility to probability.

I think this discussion is moot. There are simply too many factors to assume the outcome of the future especially since we're trying to generalize specifics.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Actually, asking about the average probably isn't the best idea for the argument. This argument has to do with the general schooling and outcomes but once we generalize we loose possibility to probability.

I think this discussion is moot. There are simply too many factors to assume the outcome of the future especially since we're trying to generalize specifics.
:doh: These are simple questions people.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned

Here's the problem with "the average". How do you determine what it is?

It's like the FACT that homeschooled kids average 1.8 points higher than public school kids on their ACT tests. The problem with taking that average at face value is that you're comparing 4600 homeschooled kids to almost 1.1 million public schooled kids nationwide.

In addition, you have to consider other variables. For instance, in Minnesota where I used to live, it is state law that ALL kids - regardless of handicap - be mainstreamed in the public school. That means that even the mentally retarded kids (and I don't say that as an insult, because I don't know what might be the politically correct term) were required, by law, to take ALL the state-level tests. What do you suppose that did to the average scores of public schools - like the one my kids were part of - where all the handicapped kids from the entire county were sent? What would the test scores of mentally retarded homeschooled kids be? What would that do to the average?

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
ParsonJefferson, just say that your children didn't learn how to roll joints and put on condoms anywhere so that silly conversation can end. That's all you have to say.
Huhhh?

Why would any IDIOT just assume, or make the STUPID ACCUSATION, that my kids roll joints and put on condoms? Where does that kind of garbage come from?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:doh: These are simple questions people.

Not really. I agree with both Memento Mori and ParsonJefferson on their answers to the question. It is both the parents and the students who hold the responsibility to whether the kids work or not. If the kid decides not to do the work, in most cases, a good swift smack on the butt will motivate the kids to do the work.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned

I agree.

ParsonJefferson

BANNED
Banned
Not really. I agree with both Memento Mori and ParsonJefferson on their answers to the question. It is both the parents and the students who hold the responsibility to whether the kids work or not. If the kid decides not to do the work, in most cases, a good swift smack on the butt will motivate the kids to do the work.

Hold it!
Wait, wait, wait!
Stop the presses!

YOU actually agreed with ME about something ON THIS THREAD? I think I need to go check my heart!!! ;)