• s9s27s54

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redeemed

Originally posted by Huldrych
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
s9 said:

I was saved by the King James bible,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ooga! ooga! Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!
HALLO!
What is wrong with that quote?

jth
Well, I think we all understand what s9 meant, but it certainly does reveal a bias and very possibly a misplaced dependency. The "engrafted word" is able to save our souls (James 1:21) and Jesus is the Word. However, Jesus is NOT the King James Bible.

C

cirisme

Originally posted by Huldrych
Question, anyone...

ooga! ooga! Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!
HALLO!
What is wrong with that quote?

jth
:nono: :shocked:

We are saved by grace through faith through the Lord Jesus Christ. :kiss:

CRC_FChristian

Originally posted by themuzicman
If that's s9's close, Jaltus can drop doing the bottom of the 9th, since he's still up about 15 points.

s9 failed to address any of the salient points that Jaltus brought up on the topic, and even failed to make this about the verasity of the Catholic church.

It's pretty clear to anyone who read the debate that the KJV is not only not inspired, it is at best only on par with most of the more modern translations.

Michael

KJV was not inspired...God preserved his word in the KJV translation...

Greek work/meaning for Inspired is: theopneustos - divinely breathed - given by inspiration of God.

So...Thats not to say the KJV translators couldnt have been inspired at the time of their translation in sense of God gave them inspiration.

To prove/back up my statment is simply this only the original scripture authors were truly inspired to write what God had revealed/illuminated to them.

It's pretty clear to anyone who read the debate that the KJV is not only not inspired, it is at best only on par with most of the more modern translations.

So let me ask you this...Do you even know which manuscripts were used for the newer translations ? Better yet do you know their origins ? Before I make statement I certainly try to know what I speak of before I make any statement(s). I may not have all the facts(most if not all dont) but I try to be somewhat informed of topic before I speak on it. If I'm not informed then I try to ask questions in order to become more knowledgable before making any statements about said subject.

CRC_FChristian

Originally posted by s9s27s54

Why wait? Why not ask Him now? :confused:

I believe my scripture reference should answer your question:

Romans 1:
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools

...and...

1 Corinthians 1:
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty

bill betzler

From Jaltus
The bottom line is that the doctrine of KJVO is based on blind faith, a faith that is misplaced in men and not in God, and it is from fear. They are afraid of what scholarship can tell them, they are afraid that if they accept part of it, they need to take in it all. They are afraid to have their faith challenged

I believe in God and trust the KJB to be the word of God. And I fear no scholarship.

You have a high opinion of your "modern" scholarship.

Here's a quote from Jesus.

"But wisdom is justified of her children."

Jaltus

So let me ask you this...Do you even know which manuscripts were used for the newer translations ? Better yet do you know their origins ? Before I make statement I certainly try to know what I speak of before I make any statement(s). I may not have all the facts(most if not all dont) but I try to be somewhat informed of topic before I speak on it. If I'm not informed then I try to ask questions in order to become more knowledgable before making any statements about said subject.
Yes, I do know. The newer translations are based on the text of the NA 26 or 27 (ESV is 27, most of the rest are 26). The NA 26/7 is based on an eclectic mix of the oldest manuscripts of the NT. The basic text comes from the combined Sinaticus/Vaticanus text. However, the papyri were used as the main corrections to this (the papyri can predate the two above manuscipts by up to 225 years) along with the oldest, most reliable manuscripts (most reliable refers to those where obvious and intentional errors did not occur, such as accidently skipping a sentence or the like).

The KJV is mainly based on two late Greek manuscripts and a Latin version, as Erasmus complied them for his edition around 1516. The two manuscripts he used dated from the 11th century and 12th century, and both were missing the end of Revelation (one was missing the entire book). Therefore, he translated from Latin into Greek the last 6 verses (Rev. 22:16-21), a translation which did not and does not match ANY known Greek manuscript ever found.

Does that answer your question?

s9s27s54

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren
S9 - you can email me as well if you need any help with VB coding. I found it very confusing in the beginning as well and may be able to help.

Thank you very much Dee Dee, I now have you and Yx helping. I really appreciate that.

Huldrych

Hey Jaltus

Hey Jaltus

Would you say that modern scholarship, and the manuscript evidence that has come up since the days of Erasmus, supports the Textus Receptus?

Shields down, brother. I'm not looking to discredit you nor get embroiled in a debate over the matter. It's just genuine curiosity on my part. I have a friend (Dr. Thomas Holland--his website can be found here . He is pro-KJV, but has a more balanced view on the matter than most in that camp) who is an expert on Textual Criticism, made that remark (that modern manuscript evidence supports the TR).

Great work on BR IV, J. :thumb: However, like I said before, it was kind of like watching a tank take on an ice cream truck. :eek: Still, I'm happy to see that it didn't degrade into a bunch of ad hom's.

jth

Last edited:

rbisback

"I believe that not only did Jaltus simply win the debate, he is in fact right."

You can believe what you wan't.

Jaltus, I demonstrated by context and page numbers that you were indeed wrong.

drbrumley

In 1898, Eberhard Nestle published the NESTLE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT, which underlies the modern versions. He followed the Hort and Westcott New Greek Text used for the English Revised Version and three other editions of the 1800’s. In 1950, Kurt Aland assumed ownership and the Nestle Text became the NESTLE/ALAND TEXT. The editing committee was comprised of Kurt Aland and Matthew Black, who were unbelievers, Roman Catholic Cardinal Carlo M. Martini and two apostates, Bruce Metzger and Alan Wikgren. Again, the question arises concerning the qualifications of those who translate or edit God’s Word. History provides clear evidence that the divinely inspired Word of God was often altered by men who received their inspiration from a source other than God.

The Protestant Reformation of 1517 released many from the unscriptural teachings of Roman Catholicism. However, since that historic period, Catholic theologians have quietly moved into the revision committees in order to introduce their doctrines into Protestant Bibles. Gail Riplinger observes, "Since both the Catholic and "New" Protestant bibles are now based on the identical critical Greek texts (UBS/Nestles), which are based on the same 1% minority Greek Manuscripts (Vaticanus B), the Catholic doctrinal bend in the NIV and NASB and other ‘New’ bibles is substantial." Bible prophecy indicates that the Counter-Reformation strategy of the Catholic Church will succeed at the end of the Church Age and that many will fall away from the true faith into a unified world religious system which is led by Rome. (II Thessalonians 2:3; Revelation 17:9)

bill betzler

Good to read the above posts.

Here is a question.

Why didn't Jesus lament that the advent of modern scholarship was so far off and the unlearned would just have to wait for the Truth?

:eek:

Jaltus

In 1898, Eberhard Nestle published the NESTLE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT, which underlies the modern versions. He followed the Hort and Westcott New Greek Text used for the English Revised Version and three other editions of the 1800’s. In 1950, Kurt Aland assumed ownership and the Nestle Text became the NESTLE/ALAND TEXT. The editing committee was comprised of Kurt Aland and Matthew Black, who were unbelievers, Roman Catholic Cardinal Carlo M. Martini and two apostates, Bruce Metzger and Alan Wikgren.
This is just false. He did not "follow" their versions, he sculpted a new text by comparing them, and that was only for the first edition. Later editions brought in all the manuscripts they could find.

Not only that, but Aland did not take over the text, he in fact joined Nestle's son in working on the text until he died.

Martini is on the board of the UBS, not the NA, along with the rest of that group. for that matter, Martini did not join the group until the second edition, when the text was essentially set in stone already. He only helped with the rating system and text criticl apparatus. The board for the NA is a group of German scholars.

Few who have talked to Metzger would call him an unbeliever or apostate (besides which, Calvinists can't believe in apostates, LOL).

I can see why few take Burgon seriously anymore, though his disciples are actually making a bit of a comeback.
The Protestant Reformation of 1517 released many from the unscriptural teachings of Roman Catholicism. However, since that historic period, Catholic theologians have quietly moved into the revision committees in order to introduce their doctrines into Protestant Bibles. Gail Riplinger observes, "Since both the Catholic and "New" Protestant bibles are now based on the identical critical Greek texts (UBS/Nestles), which are based on the same 1% minority Greek Manuscripts (Vaticanus B), the Catholic doctrinal bend in the NIV and NASB and other ‘New’ bibles is substantial." Bible prophecy indicates that the Counter-Reformation strategy of the Catholic Church will succeed at the end of the Church Age and that many will fall away from the true faith into a unified world religious system which is led by Rome. (II Thessalonians 2:3; Revelation 17:9)
1% minority? This guy is just WRONG! There is more support for Vaticanus than for the TR (though not the MT, but that will wait until my next post). There is no RCC "doctrinal bend" in any eclectic text Bible, and I dare anyone to prove otherwise.

Jaltus

Bill,

Because Jesus is the Truth. It really does not matter which (honest) version of the Bible you have, for Jesus is Lord over all. As long as your theology is correct, your bibliology is much less important.

Jaltus

Would you say that modern scholarship, and the manuscript evidence that has come up since the days of Erasmus, supports the Textus Receptus?
Not the TR, everyone is certain it is a bad group of manuscripts. It is based on miniscules 1 eap, 1 r, and corrected with 2 e, 2 ap, 4ap, and 7 p. You will notice that there is only one copy of Revelation in there, and it was missing the last 6 verses. all of those manuscripts are old, and in fact many of them show scribal changes.
Shields down, brother. I'm not looking to discredit you nor get embroiled in a debate over the matter. It's just genuine curiosity on my part. I have a friend (Dr. Thomas Holland--his website can be found here . He is pro-KJV, but has a more balanced view on the matter than most in that camp) who is an expert on Textual Criticism, made that remark (that modern manuscript evidence supports the TR).
I think you mean the MT (Majority Text). Currently there are 2-3 qualified people in the field making a push for the MT, but it is not too big a push. Some findings have validated readings in the MT, but not the entire MT.

(for the difference between the MT and the TR look at I John 5:7-8, which is in the TR but NOT in the MT)

I hope that helps. For specific works, look at the bibliography I listed on the debate's first page.

Hitch

BANNED
Banned
This is right up there with refusing to give candy to those horrible satanicly inspired 4 year olds dressed up like StrawberryShortcake on Halloween

H...

Nice work J

Hitch

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by bill betzler
From Jaltus

I believe in God and trust the KJB to be the word of God. And I fear no scholarship.

You have a high opinion of your "modern" scholarship.

Here's a quote from Jesus.

"But wisdom is justified of her children."
Of course you do,,after all it was AUTHORIZED....

Can you hear the angels singing....

Come on ,,you know the words...

We got some green alligators and long necked geese...'

and sure as you're born

dont you forget my unicorns...'

Hitchth

Ian Day

drbrumley

Please list the Catholic errors which I will fall into by reading the NIV.

Also the unbelief errors.

CRC_FChristian

Originally posted by Jaltus
Yes, I do know. The newer translations are based on the text of the NA 26 or 27 (ESV is 27, most of the rest are 26). The NA 26/7 is based on an eclectic mix of the oldest manuscripts of the NT. The basic text comes from the combined Sinaticus/Vaticanus text. However, the papyri were used as the main corrections to this (the papyri can predate the two above manuscipts by up to 225 years) along with the oldest, most reliable manuscripts (most reliable refers to those where obvious and intentional errors did not occur, such as accidently skipping a sentence or the like).

The KJV is mainly based on two late Greek manuscripts and a Latin version, as Erasmus complied them for his edition around 1516. The two manuscripts he used dated from the 11th century and 12th century, and both were missing the end of Revelation (one was missing the entire book). Therefore, he translated from Latin into Greek the last 6 verses (Rev. 22:16-21), a translation which did not and does not match ANY known Greek manuscript ever found.

Does that answer your question?

It wasnt a question that I had in my mind :thumb: because I already know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.