Votes: 29 87.9%
  • s9s27s54

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huldrych

Originally posted by rapt
Isn't the lying spirit's name "MORON-i" self-degrading?

I've thought of that several times. Usually, names have a very distinctive meaning behind them.

For example, the only named angel in the NT is Gabriel (Luke 1:26). Interesting that he would be given a Hebrew name for a Hebrew-speaking recipient of the message to understand. And the meaning is clear enough: "man of God."

However, the (fallen) angel that supposedly visited the occultist Joseph Smith gave him a very cryptic name--one that sounds like the Greek word for "idiot" or the Hebrew word for "altering something" (it's the closest I could find--There is no Hebrew word "Moroni," which is strange, since the Mormons retain God's name as "Elohim.").

jth

PS: Too bad Sacred Namers don't visit this board. I would love to slap one or two around in a Battle Royale. :thumb:

s9s27s54

Originally posted by Huldrych

I've thought of that several times. Usually, names have a very distinctive meaning behind them.

For example, the only named angel in the NT is Gabriel (Luke 1:26). Interesting that he would be given a Hebrew name for a Hebrew-speaking recipient of the message to understand. And the meaning is clear enough: "man of God."

However, the (fallen) angel that supposedly visited the occultist Joseph Smith gave him a very cryptic name--one that sounds like the Greek word for "idiot" or the Hebrew word for "altering something" (it's the closest I could find--There is no Hebrew word "Moroni," which is strange, since the Mormons retain God's name as "Elohim.").

jth

Michael the arch angel is mentioned in the New Testament.

PS: Too bad Sacred Namers don't visit this board. I would love to slap one or two around in a Battle Royale. :thumb:

s9s27s54

Originally posted by Yxboom
You need to figure out how to appropriately use quotes.

And actually what to quote and how to answer just the quote and not the whole post. I need to learn much about all these different things.

Y

Yxboom

A beginner way to do so would be to copy the text you want to quote and in the Post Reply click on the Quote and Paste the text you wish to quote.

s9s27s54

Originally posted by Yxboom
A beginner way to do so would be to copy the text you want to quote and in the Post Reply click on the Quote and Paste the text you wish to quote.

No, I beg your pardon, but what you probably mean is to select the text I want to copy and then use the quote button to quote what I want to quote. Isn't that what you mean?

Well, anyway, I think I know what you're trying to say. I don't want to always copy the whole thing. And I do want it to appear I'm having a conversation with that person.

I'll get the hang of it eventually. (Hopefully.)

Y

Yxboom

[COLOR= crimson] Originally posted by s9s27s54 [/COLOR] No, I beg your pardon, but what you probably mean is to select the text I want to copy and then use the quote button to quote what I want to quote. Isn't that what you mean?
No.

I meant it exactly the way I said it. Otherwise you will quote the entire post as you are doing now.
[COLOR= crimson] Originally posted by s9s27s54 [/COLOR] Well, anyway, I think I know what you're trying to say.
No. Because if you did you would not have been so quick to reply No, I beg your pardon. I was telling you how to achieve what you hope to and you correct me although I know how to do what you are trying to. :nono:
And if you did as I said rather than as you think you would find out that I know what I am talking about.
[COLOR= crimson] Originally posted by s9s27s54 [/COLOR] I'll get the hang of it eventually. (Hopefully.)
Not if you continue to rebuke people after giving you the correct instruction.

rbisback

The text might have been edited (but I think that it was collated), but it is what God used to give English speakers his perfect word in English.

Ian,

I know someone that uses the King James to teach conversational English as a second language.

Huldrych

Originally posted by s9s27s54

What I said was: Michael the arch angel is mentioned in the New Testament.

That's right, I had forgotten that. That also reinforces this issue about angels' names. "Michael" is also Hebrew, meaning "who is like God."

Moroni, on the other hand... :confused: Who knows? More than likely isn't a Native American name that I know of.

Whoops, just did a quick search on the net; discovered an Italian name of Moroni. Perhaps Joseph Smith got his "vision" the night after eating an especially spicy calzone.

Otherwise, the following implications arise:

The first american natives weren't of asian stock; they were Italians. :eek:

There are Italian angels in heaven. :shocked:

AAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

jth

JustAChristian

¿Por qué?

¿Por qué?

Originally posted by rbisback
The text might have been edited (but I think that it was collated), but it is what God used to give English speakers his perfect word in English.

Ian,

I know someone that uses the King James to teach conversational English as a second language.

Ian,

¿Por qué él justo no lo dio en español que es un derivado del Griego? :confused:

JustAChristian:angel:

rapt

s9s27s54,

I tried sending this via a pm, but your mailbox is full. You need to clean it out before you can receive any more pm's. I couldn't email you either since you provide no address.

1. First, copy the PART of the quote from the main page by highlighting it and copying it. (If you don't yet know how to do that, let me know.)

2. Don't use the "quick reply" box to make your post. Click on "post reply". That way you can review your post before it actually posts. You can't do that with "quick reply".

3. Click on the quote button and paste the text of the person you're quoting.

4. THEN comment.

It will look like this:

Here is the text you copied
Here is your comment.

Email or pm me if you have any questions.

Last edited:

rapt

I love the KJV, but it just irks me to hear someone praying in 1611 English to try to sound "spiritual".

Just today I heard what sounded like a black female "preacher" praying on the radio, who said something close to : "We thank thee o Lord for those who thought it not robbery to give an offering to this ministry...". "thought it not robbery" was obviously taken from Philippians 2:6, and she just sounded ridiculous to me, inserting that phrase into a prayer thanking God for offerings! The "thee" was already quite enough old English, don't you think?

David Wilkerson has sent out monthly letters to subscribers for decades. Once I read where he was outraged that anyone would have the nerve to call God "You". I suppose "THOU" or "Thee" are the only acceptable pronouns to call God according to Wilkerson!

Ugggh.

Nevertheless, the KJV is the bible for me.

Last edited:

Dennis Hogg

I too have a problem with "only English translation". What irks me even more is "inspired English translation". The KJV only typically insist that if God's Word is altered at all - even to replace a word with a synonym - is to distort the Inerrant and Perfect Word of God.

The real biblical answer to the debate (my opinion) is to examine how the Bible has translated and quoted itself. How come nobody mentions God's own examples of quoting and translating His own Word? There are hundreds of OT quotes translated from Hebrew to Greek. There are multiple examples where Christ quoted OT passages. Use Isa 61:1-2 quoted in Luke 4:18-19. Note that Luke has many differences from Isaiah. All of this is quoted from an "inerrant King James Bible" of course.

Isaiah Luke

Lord God | Lord
Lord | He
tidings to the meek | gospel to the poor
bind up | heal
proclaim liberty | preach deliverance
*missing* | and recovering of sight to the blind
the opening of the prison | to set at liberty
those who are bound | them that are bruised

I stopped comparing after the first verse. There are several possibilites here.

1. Isaiah is corrupt and our Lord knew it and Corrected it
If this is true, then the KJV is corrupt in Isaiah.

2. Luke is corrupt. If this is true, then the KJV is corrupt in Luke.

3. Our Lord corrupted His own Word while reading it. I trust that all will discard this as absurd and reject it.

4. Our definitions of "inerrant" and "corrupt" are corrupt.
If this is true, then the claims of the "inerrant" KJV and "corrupt" translations need to be re-evaluated according to God's own examples.

Last edited:

Theonomy

What a shame

What a shame

It should have been evident after round 2 that this debate wasa mis-match. I do not support the KJV only posiiton, but it would have been nice to actually see it presented so that we could have seens an actual debate.

Ian Day

Originally posted by rbisback Ian,

At the job interview:
Q. What is your name?
A. I know not, neither understand I what thou sayest.
Q. What [is] thy name?
A. My name [is] Legion: for we are many.

Q. What is your date of birth?
A. Who [is] wise, and he shall understand these [things]?
Q. How old [art] thou?
A. The days of the years of my pilgrimage [are] an hundred and thirty years.

Q. What is your address?
A. Speak, I pray thee, unto thy servants in the Syrian language; for we understand [it]
Q where dwellest thou?
A. Come and see.

Q. What is your present employment?
A. A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this.
Q. What [is] your occupation?
A. Thy servants' trade hath been about cattle from our youth even until now, both we, [and] also our fathers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.