Votes: 29 87.9%
  • s9s27s54

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drbrumley

Jaltus and anyone else who cares to answer

Since this debate(?) is a foregone conclusion to who has the upper hand in this, let me ask some basic questions.

Did God do what He promised He would do in the manner that is outlined in the "Bible"?

If so

How?

MJCoate

Translation, transliteration, transmorgification

Translation, transliteration, transmorgification

Screw translations, just learn greek and hebrew.:D

Y

Yxboom

Ok than being there are over 20000 MSS which Greek and Hebrew MSS are you gonna use?

PS- You might wanna put your drill back in the garage.

Hisown

Honor your Mother

Honor your Mother

To YXBOOM

You should never tell your Mother to "stuff it"

Remember the commandment " Thou shalt honor thy Father and thy Mother, so that all your days on earth might be long."

rbisback

"This being the case, anyone could add to the KJV anything they wanted and it would have to be considered the inspired inerrant word of God."

not

As to retaining the Jing James reading over the much edited greek mss that we have today, I think I would agree.

Jaltus

Did God do what He promised He would do in the manner that is outlined in the "Bible"?
Can you narrow the focus of this question a bit? It is so broad that any answer would in fact be wrong.

Yxboom,

There are only about 5300 Greek manuscripts. I think you were including the Latin, Coptic, Syrian, Armenian, Nubian, and Georgian versions in that number, along with patristic citations.

JustAChristian

The Book of Mormon...

The Book of Mormon...

Originally posted by Yxboom
Mormon Bible = KJV or Book Of Mormon?

If the Book of Mormon was translated by a "inspired prophet using peep stones" with perfect guidance in translation of Ancient Egyptian characters, why is the present version not like the original? I wonder! :D

JustAChristian:angel:

Last edited:

rapt

Jaltus, what denomonation are you affiliated with? I certainly don't know of many that don't teach OSAS beside the Church or Christ, some pentacostals, and the RCC.

Jaltus

I come from the Evangelical Free Church of America. Both Arminians and Calvinists are free to call the church home. I suggest you check out this website for some information.

Huldrych

Originally posted by drbrumley
Hisown,

How about them Volunteers? Oops. sorry, I meant Gatorbait. LOL!

That's OK, Dr. B. The Vols have given Al his good share of barbecueing. And it will happen again...

Grilled Gator tastes a lot like chicken!

jth (MA, U. Tenn, 1995)

Explosived

The King James language is NOT hard to understand. Most of the so-called "archaic" words are explained by the context of the passage or by comparing the passage with other passages in the Bible where the same word is used. Heady and high-minded people resent the King James language because it is plain and simple, and it isn't in tune with their high-minded vocabulary.
We certainly agree that the language of the King James Bible is a unique language, but why shouldn't it be? It's the WORD OF GOD!

Huldrych

Re: The Book of Mormon...

Re: The Book of Mormon...

Originally posted by JustAChristian

If the Book of Mormon was translated by a "prophet" with perfect guidance in translation of Ancient Egyptian characters, why is the present version not like the original? I wonder! :D

JustAChristian:angel:

I've heard of this "prophet's" translating ability. I remember a story about him purchasing some mummies with a parchment, claiming it to have had something to do with Abraham. Real experts on Egyptology shattered the assumption by stating it was just a manifest of grave goods, and had absolutely nothing to do with the OT patriarch.

Furthermore, what the Sheol were Egyptian characters doing on American soil?

Again, accept no gospels given by angels named after the San Francisco treat (get it? Rice-a-(mo)roni? OK, I'll stop now).

jth

Ian Day

Originally posted by Explosived
The King James language is NOT hard to understand. Most of the so-called "archaic" words are explained by the context of the passage or by comparing the passage with other passages in the Bible where the same word is used. Heady and high-minded people resent the King James language because it is plain and simple, and it isn't in tune with their high-minded vocabulary.
We certainly agree that the language of the King James Bible is a unique language, but why shouldn't it be? It's the WORD OF GOD!
We are in an immigrant area west of London. Some of our congregation have little English, & some understand English as a second, third or fourth language. The KJV does not use everyday English. THey would have to learn "church/Bible English" as an additional language, & if they did, they would have problems witnessing. We use the NIV, because the basic English is comprehensible. :thumb:

You KJVO folk would no doubt pray with Cranmer: "Prevent us, O Lord, in all our doings." :doh:

MJCoate

MSS

MSS

First to address your MSS issue: No, actually there are not 20+ thousand extant Greek MSS, try 5+ thousands, and that includes fragments and all.

Second, I use the Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece to study/translate the greek (though I like to use the various Latin texts for fun sometimes - including Jeromes Latin Vulgate; though its not too accurate). It gives the major variations within MSS that affect translation.

Third, I use the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia for study/translation of the OT. It, like the N-A NT, gives every major deviation of the MSS. I also enjoy the JPS Tanakh - its a very reliable translation, and some editions come with the Hebrew beside the english, though it is not enough to do scholarly research into the text itself.

Both the Nestle-Aland and the Stuttgartensia are pretty much the standard editions. Or anything else that comes out of Germany for that matter.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.