And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
My son and I delivered Meals on Wheels for a year for his school service project. We knew that meal delivery volunteers were often the only outside contact that person would have with with anyone on any particular day, and we would chat with them for a few minutes, and make sure they were doing okay. It's not only food that volunteers bring, it's human contact.

Also - I just happen to have a text with me at the moment called Community Resources for Older Adults because I'm studying for a midterm on Tuesday and one of the chapters is on the ways Title III of the Older Americans Act (OAA) is used to help elders. It's called the "heart and soul" of the OAA for a reason, because it's Title III which disburses the grants to states according to elder population, which then disburses to agencies and public-private partnerships. One of those being home-delivered meal programs.

Those who receive home-delivered meals have more physical limitations, are more socially isolated, and at a lower income level than elders who can access private and publicly-funded senior centers with congregate meal programs. Average age of someone receiving a home-delivered meal is 78 years, and 60% live alone. A quarter of recipients were ethnic minorities, and 48% had incomes below 100% of the DHHS poverty line. These elders are 88% at moderate or high nutritional risk, 75% report difficulty with everyday tasks and 38% report seeing family, friends or neighbors never or only once per month.

I could go on, but I'm sure it's clear. This is a program that's vitally necessary for the frail and elderly that live among us, particularly those without adequate social support.

but it's not meeting their needs anna - you should be far enough along now to realize that

it's allowing them to stay trapped and isolated

:think:

much like welfare does for the inner city black

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
but it's not meeting their needs anna - you should be far enough along now to realize that

Don't think for a minute that those frail elders don't know that the only next step for them prior to death is a nursing home. They'll do everything in their power to stay independent for as long as they can, and I don't blame them and I'm glad to have a portion of my tax dollars going to help them.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I read that Trump's proposed budget cuts would have a major adverse impact on our local Meals on Wheels program. Who knows what Congress will actually do with it but it's causing some major worries.

It would definitely make a difference. Here's a statement from Meals on Wheels from Mar. 16:

The “35% of funding that comes from the Older American Act Nutrition Program” figure is in regard to the 5,000 Meals on Wheels programs across the country that could be effected if that 17.9% cut to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services resulted in a cut to programs within. Meals on Wheels programs would also be affected by cuts to the Community Service Block Grant, Community Development Block Grant or the Social Services Block Grant because some states choose to use those funds to support their Meals on Wheels programs above and beyond the 35% covered by the Older Americans Act. Programs rely on contributions from state, local, private donations and other resources to cover the rest, making it a very successful public-private partnership.

pondsbb

I doubt my mother in law felt too frail to cook. She was a cooking icon.

Anything else may have been possible. Thanks.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk
The more I think on it the more puzzled I get. You couldn't walk in the house without my mother in law shoving some frugal, but home cooked, food in your face.

I do remember their cabinets got filled up with unopened fruit cups.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Arthur Brain

Don't think for a minute that those frail elders don't know that the only next step for them prior to death is a nursing home. They'll do everything in their power to stay independent for as long as they can, and I don't blame them and I'm glad to have a portion of my tax dollars going to help them.

Absolutely. I was chatting with a health care coordinator last week as part of my course and she was telling me about how her mother was adamant that she didn't want to end up in a care home unless it was the only step that could be taken. As much as I admire and respect those in care work that help those who are no longer able to take care of themselves, be it physically or mentally it's an awful thing to contemplate the likelihood of losing your own self sufficiency.

Arthur Brain

i added to what you responded to, to clarify my intention

"independent of the service meals on wheels provides"

any government social program should work to eliminate itself, to address the root cause of the need and make itself unnecessary

of course, that's just not the way government works, is it?

To even think that any manner of social ill or strife is gong to be eliminated is either to be naive or flat out stupid. Even with the aid programs in place that you and other cranks have such a problem with there's those that fall through the cracks and even charity doesn't reach all of those. Imagine how many more cases there would be if any governmental assistance was abolished. Actually, that was rhetorical, already know you don't care about folk.

There will always be the poor, that's pretty much the reality of the situation so reducing need and addressing it more effectively is the way to go which obviously doesn't involve crackpot notions of leaving it all to churches, charity and family.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

:think:

much like welfare does for the inner city black
What are their needs? What should be done? And does your answer apply to EVERYONE getting food through MOW?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Can you name a single time you really helped someone where you can claim the government would have done a better job?
Is it possible to separate the work from the funding? Perhaps you're correct that some services could be done better by non-government people, but could you still argue that the government provide the funding and then doles it out to people within the communities?

exminister

While some here fear an elderly widow is ripping off the government and taxpayers because she gets a good meal a week and checked in on, a major scandal has been going on with the top brass of the Navy and Fat Leonard to the tune of $35 million dollars. Wonder how many elderly widows that could feed. :think:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/investigations/seducing-the-seventh-fleet/index.html

Fancy hotels, cash, prostitution, partying straight for 36 hours. Good times.

Say I know what we need to do increase the defense budget, say $56 Billion Dollars and take it from those in need. It won't cover it but defense spending is play money anyway as W showed us.

Russia has one broken down aircraft carrier and we have ten. Our current budget is bigger than the next seven defense budgets of other countries combined. We need to build enough nukes so eventually we can use them (why have them if you don't use them as our dear leader says) and if we use them we won't have the poor no more - Win-Win.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

We spend twice as much as China and 10 times what Russia spends now. Maybe instead of worrying about people in need we should take a hard look at the waste and corruption in the military. Russia got smarter and did more with less. Smarter might be the way to go. Or we can stick with bravado and saber rattling.

ClimateSanity

Is it possible to separate the work from the funding? Perhaps you're correct that some services could be done better by non-government people, but could you still argue that the government provide the funding and then doles it out to people within the communities?
Yes it does and most of it doesn't go to the recipient. Also, these people could be better served other than government.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Borowitz-Trump-government-meals-728x375-1489939457.jpg

Able-Bodied Senior Who Watches TV All Day Receives Free Government Meals

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes it does and most of it doesn't go to the recipient. Also, these people could be better served other than government.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app
That looks like just a restatement of what I responded to. You seem to be criticizing the practical application of the program, not the principle of it. Some people would argue that these programs are unjust at their base because it's redistributing wealth. Do you share that view or are you only talking about the inefficiencies and corruption that may exist?