And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan ...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I remember meals on wheels used to come by my in-laws and leave food once a week. I used to wonder why because they had food. They also had a family to aid if they needed it. We provided them a very nice home and would never have allowed them to be hungry.

Meals on Wheels doesn't just drop by with food for no reason. The service had to have been ordered. The fee is determined by a sliding scale based on income, so forms had to have been filled out and any dietary restrictions would have been ascertained. So apparently, someone thought there was a need.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Meals on Wheels doesn't just drop by with food for no reason. The service had to have been ordered. The fee is determined by a sliding scale based on income, so forms had to have been filled out and any dietary restrictions would have been ascertained. So apparently, someone thought there was a need.
Thanks for underscoring the problem of many who weigh in to impugn the good. They don't really tend to understand what they're criticizing.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
...apparently, someone thought there was a need.

:think:

I remember meals on wheels used to come by my in-laws and leave food once a week. I used to wonder why because they had food. They also had a family to aid if they needed it. We provided them a very nice home and would never have allowed them to be hungry.

apparently not the someone who actually has any experience with this particular situation :idunno:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I read that Trump's proposed budget cuts would have a major adverse impact on our local Meals on Wheels program. Who knows what Congress will actually do with it but it's causing some major worries.

pondsbb

Well it must have been someone ripping off government. That is no surprise, as I have noticed so much of it.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think:
apparently not the someone who actually has any experience with this particular situation :idunno:
Or maybe his in-laws paid full price because they were getting on in years and it was an affordable way to eat nutritious meals without preparing them. Maybe they no longer felt able to do that and were embarrassed or anxious about family knowing. Maybe a lot of things that aren't frivolous and wasteful. They signed up for them. They wanted them and, whatever their reason, they paid what they could for them along that sliding scale anna noted.

Also, just so people understand, the program is a nonprofit that gets most of its money from corporate contributions and private donations. But the proposed slash to HHS programs would hurt the least empowered in our society to be sure. How much depends on how much those cuts end up being.

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's budget director, wants you to believe the block grants (from which support for programs like Meals comes) "Just aren't showing results". One wonders what he expects. People are being fed who need to be. That's what the program was designed to do and money going to it from that block grant is showing the result expected. Or, as USA Today put it, in the case of MOW:

...scientific studies have found[FONT=&quot] Meals on Wheels programs are effective in improving nutrition among the elderly. And they're cost effective, because keeping older adults in their homes is less expensive than nursing-home care.
[/FONT]

ok doser

Or maybe his in-laws paid full price because they were getting on in years and it was an affordable way to eat nutritious meals without preparing them. Maybe they no longer felt able to do that and were embarrassed or anxious about family knowing. Maybe a lot of things that aren't frivolous and wasteful. They signed up for them. They wanted them and, whatever their reason, they paid what they could for them along that sliding scale anna noted.

Also, just so people understand, the program is a nonprofit that gets most of its money from corporate contributions and private donations. But the proposed slash to HHS programs would hurt the least empowered in our society to be sure. How much depends on how much those cuts end up being.

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's budget director, wants you to believe the block grants (from which support for programs like Meals comes) "Just aren't showing results". One wonders what this clown expects. People are being fed who need to be. That's what the program was designed to do and money going to it from that block grant is showing the result expected. Or, as USA Today put it:

...​
scientific studies have found Meals on Wheels programs are effective in improving nutrition among the elderly. And they're cost effective, because keeping older adults in their homes is less expensive than nursing-home care.

in what ways does the Meals on Wheels program work to make their clients independent of their service?

pondsbb

Mick Mulvaney, Trump's budget director, wants you to believe the block grants (from which support for programs like Meals comes) "Just aren't showing results". One wonders what this clown expects. People are being fed who need to be. That's what the program was designed to do and money going to it from that block grant is showing the result expected. Or, as USA Today put it:

...​
scientific studies have found Meals on Wheels programs are effective in improving nutrition among the elderly. And they're cost effective, because keeping older adults in their homes is less expensive than nursing-home care.
I can say my in-laws had a very limited income. We provided their housing and many of their needs, as did other family members. I have no idea why meals on wheels would provide them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
in what ways does the Meals on Wheels program work to make their clients independent?
That's not always the point of a worthwhile program, or even possible, but it can be the least expensive alternative, as the USA article I noted referenced. This program may very well help people remain more independent, keep them out of that greater expense (and drain on government resources) that nursing homes largely entail by making sure they receive solid nutritional value in the form of meals they might not be able to prepare for themselves regularly or at all. It's also a way to keep tabs on the ongoing condition within a senior's home who may be fighting to live as independently as possible on their own, with minimal or no other outside assistance.

And, beyond all of that, it serves the good.

I can say my in-laws had a very limited income. We provided their housing and many of their needs, as did other family members. I have no idea why meals on wheels would provide them.
You just told me why. Maybe it was a way to feel like less of a drain on their family. Maybe it was the best way for them to get what they needed without asking for more from people who were doing a lot for them to begin with. In any event, they had to qualify and they felt the need.

ok doser

i added to what you responded to, to clarify my intention

"independent of the service meals on wheels provides"

any government social program should work to eliminate itself, to address the root cause of the need and make itself unnecessary

of course, that's just not the way government works, is it?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
any government social program should work to eliminate itself, to address the root cause of the need and make itself unnecessary
Rather, a good government and people should work to eliminate the need that necessitates the program. I've set out the particular defense of wheels, both economically and morally. The program is designed to eliminate hunger and malnutrition among its target base. It does that. It does more. If you want to make it obsolete you're going to have to change something else. Old age isn't going anywhere.

pondsbb

Rather, a good government and people should work to eliminate the need that necessitates the program. I've set out the particular defense of wheels, both economically and morally. The program is designed to eliminate hunger and malnutrition among its target base. It does that. It does more. If you want to make it obsolete you're going to have to change something else. Old age isn't going anywhere.
Ha thanks for that. I so agree that old age isn't going anywhere. Made me laugh a little at my aching knees and back.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well it must have been someone ripping off government. That is no surprise, as I have noticed so much of it.

Right. Someone else PAID the government (a.k.a. federal, state, local, and private agencies) to deliver meals to someone other than themselves? Why would they do that?

Is it possible that your in-laws didn't want to be beholden to anyone for their meals and felt too frail to prepare them, so they ordered the service themselves?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
rather, that's the same thing i said :doh:
No, you said the program should work to eliminate itself. Many programs simply can't do that and yet remain worthwhile. A jobs creating program can. A meals on wheels for the elderly can't. But beyond the program, the society we live in can work to eliminate the need in any number of ways, or at least reduce the problem to the extent that it can.

pondsbb

Right. Someone else PAID the government (a.k.a. federal, state, local, and private agencies) to deliver meals to someone other than themselves? Why would they do that?

Is it possible that your in-laws didn't want to be beholden to anyone for their meals and felt too frail to prepare them, so they ordered the service themselves?
I doubt my mother in law felt too frail to cook. She was a cooking icon.

Anything else may have been possible. Thanks.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's not always the point of a worthwhile program, or even possible, but it can be the least expensive alternative, as the USA article I noted referenced. This program may very well help people remain more independent, keep them out of that greater expense (and drain on government resources) that nursing homes largely entail by making sure they receive solid nutritional value in the form of meals they might not be able to prepare for themselves regularly or at all. It's also a way to keep tabs on the ongoing condition within a senior's home who may be fighting to live as independently as possible on their own, with minimal or no other outside assistance.

And, beyond all of that, it serves the good.

You just told me why. Maybe it was a way to feel like less of a drain on their family. Maybe it was the best way for them to get what they needed without asking for more from people who were doing a lot for them to begin with. In any event, they had to qualify and they felt the need.

My son and I delivered Meals on Wheels for a year for his school service project. We knew that meal delivery volunteers were often the only outside contact that person would have with with anyone on any particular day, and we would chat with them for a few minutes, and make sure they were doing okay. It's not only food that volunteers bring, it's human contact.

Also - I just happen to have a text with me at the moment called Community Resources for Older Adults because I'm studying for a midterm on Tuesday and one of the chapters is on the ways Title III of the Older Americans Act (OAA) is used to help elders. It's called the "heart and soul" of the OAA for a reason, because it's Title III which disburses the grants to states according to elder population, which then disburses to agencies and public-private partnerships. One of those being home-delivered meal programs.

Those who receive home-delivered meals have more physical limitations, are more socially isolated, and at a lower income level than elders who can access private and publicly-funded senior centers with congregate meal programs. Average age of someone receiving a home-delivered meal is 78 years, and 60% live alone. A quarter of recipients were ethnic minorities, and 48% had incomes below 100% of the DHHS poverty line. These elders are 88% at moderate or high nutritional risk, 75% report difficulty with everyday tasks and 38% report seeing family, friends or neighbors never or only once per month.

I could go on, but I'm sure it's clear. This is a program that's vitally necessary for the frail and elderly who live among us, particularly those without adequate social support.