"|all you have to do is believe in Jesus".. Huh?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Yes. Men must first be born again (Jn 1:13, 1 Pe 1:23). Come (Mt 11:29), believe (Jn 14:1), abide (Jn 15:4), follow him (Mt 28:20). He has the words of eternal life (Jn 6:68).
Not one word from Paul, our apostle (Romans 11:13 KJV) given the dispensation of the grace of God to usward (Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV)!

Ben Masada

I believe the only thing separating me from God would be sin. Christ is the bridge to God. I don't believe me behaving better makes my sin go away. So yes only faith can save a person from death(sin). A person will do good however after being freed. Why continue to do something that Christ died for?

This 'faith only' belief is very true! And as a result we will practice righteousness. Abraham believed in God and it was credited to him as righteousness. So we too who believe in God will have our faiths credited to us as righteousness through faith

Righteousness comes from a good heart. So make the tree good through faith and thus the fruit good, or rely on your flesh (whom desires fleshly desires). The human heart is very deceptive really

Prophet Isaiah said that the only way to set things right with God so that our sins from scarlet red become as white as snow is to repent and to return to the obedience of God's Law. (Isa. 1:18,19) And Jesus himself implied that the only way to escape hell-fire is by listening to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:31)

Sancocho

I believe the only thing separating me from God would be sin. Christ is the bridge to God. I don't believe me behaving better makes my sin go away. So yes only faith can save a person from death(sin). A person will do good however after being freed. Why continue to do something that Christ died for?

This 'faith only' belief is very true! And as a result we will practice righteousness. Abraham believed in God and it was credited to him as righteousness. So we too who believe in God will have our faiths credited to us as righteousness through faith

Righteousness comes from a good heart. So make the tree good through faith and thus the fruit good, or rely on your flesh (whom desires fleshly desires). The human heart is very deceptive really

The problem is so many Protestants believe the false claim that Catholics work their way to heaven that they have decided works are not important and that sinning has little consequence if not resisted. The results are a nation of theoretical Christians that have allowed the godless to kill and corrupt our children. Then the same Protestants have the gall to say it was bound to happen because the world is corrupt!! Tell that to the real Christian nations that protect their children.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
If you cheat on your wife God will punish you on this earth.

What is he talking about, you say? He's talking about the discipline of
God the Father on His child.

He has made a truth claim :peach:--if you commit an evil act you will be punished in this life. You may be punished in this life or you may be punished in the next. Ga 6:7

You like to assure this guy of his salvation. I will do no such thing. 1 Jn 3:8

See:

Apostasy & Eternal Security

turbosixx

They don't have the law written down in stone, but they do have that law built right into their conscience. We all know right from wrong because we were created with that knowledge in us.

I would suggest to you that the law the Gentiles did not have is the law of Moses. When Paul refers to works of the law, he is talking about the law of Moses. It might be easier to see in Galatians.

Gal. 3:10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

So he is contrasting the law of Moses with the law of faith.

3:11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”

It becomes even clearer that the law Paul is referring to is the Mosacial law when he says it appeared 430 years after the Promise God made to Abraham.

3:17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

He later tells them that if you want to be justified by the law (Mosaical) then they have fallen from grace.

Gal. 5:3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

glorydaz

The problem is so many Protestants believe the false claim that Catholics work their way to heaven that they have decided works are not important and that sinning has little consequence if not resisted. The results are a nation of theoretical Christians that have allowed the godless to kill and corrupt our children. Then the same Protestants have the gall to say it was bound to happen because the world is corrupt!! Tell that to the real Christian nations that protect their children.

The term "Christian nation" is a real stretch. Certainly there are some saved people everywhere, but church buildings are filled with unsaved people in every nation.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we cannot keep the godless from committing their godless acts. Satan is the god of this world, and our job is to preach the gospel of salvation to the lost. The only remedy for sin is Jesus Christ. Oh, and Catholics are no better than "Protestants" .....life is not found in religion, but in Christ.

I hope you don't become another Meshak railing on "mainstream churches". That would be a shame. :nono:

glorydaz

I would suggest to you that the law the Gentiles did not have is the law of Moses. When Paul refers to works of the law, he is talking about the law of Moses. It might be easier to see in Galatians.

Gal. 3:10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

So he is contrasting the law of Moses with the law of faith.

3:11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”

It becomes even clearer that the law Paul is referring to is the Mosacial law when he says it appeared 430 years after the Promise God made to Abraham.

3:17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

He later tells them that if you want to be justified by the law (Mosaical) then they have fallen from grace.

Gal. 5:3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Paul said the Gentiles have the work of the law written in their conscience. You can choose to ignore that, but the fact remains we are not justified by DOING but by believing.

glorydaz

Prophet Isaiah said that the only way to set things right with God so that our sins from scarlet red become as white as snow is to repent and to return to the obedience of God's Law. (Isa. 1:18,19) And Jesus himself implied that the only way to escape hell-fire is by listening to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:31)

You must submit to the righteousness of God....

Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

Romans 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.​

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Why continue to do something that Christ died for?

You wouldn't (Jn 10:27). If someone found your wallet with a hundred dollars in it and gave it back to you, you'd say thank you.

If someone took a bullet for you, you'd say thank you profusely. Ro 1:21, 5:8

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
so many so called Christians say that all you have to do is believe... always pointing to those psgs that seem to say this.. just believe stuff

well, if you really believe Jesus..

if you really, really believe in Him.. you will do what He says

He said this Himself

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments"

Also see:

James 2:14

"Faith without works is dead"

__
“He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
**John‬ *3:18‬ *ASV‬‬

Daniel1611

The term "Christian nation" is a real stretch. Certainly there are some saved people everywhere, but church buildings are filled with unsaved people in every nation.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but we cannot keep the godless from committing their godless acts. Satan is the god of this world, and our job is to preach the gospel of salvation to the lost. The only remedy for sin is Jesus Christ. Oh, and Catholics are no better than "Protestants" .....life is not found in religion, but in Christ.

I hope you don't become another Meshak railing on "mainstream churches". That would be a shame. :nono:

The churches being filled with unsaved people is our fault. There are good churches, but many tailor their churches for the unsaved. They invite the unsaved, they don't stress teaching biblical doctrine, they teach things the unsaved will be comfortable with, make music the unsaved will be comfortable with, etc. It is no wonder there are so many unsaved people in churches.

rstrats

Daniel1611,
re: "I am saved. If I go commit adultery, I will get punished but I won't go to hell."

In addition to serpentdove's reference to 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, there is Hebrews 10:26: "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins."