Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

JustAChristian

Does the context of Romans 9...

Does the context of Romans 9...

Originally posted by lighthouse

JAC-
Does the context of Romans 9 sya that water baptism has anything to do with salvation?

lighthouse,

Not specifically, but neither does it directly cover repentance, does it? But, I am sure that you would agree that repentance is essencia before one can be saved. You've got to understand that Paul is addressing the church at Rome which had already obeyed baptism.

JustAChristian :angel:

JustAChristian

Originally posted by Nineveh

JAC,

"I could have listed many more things that I must do in my spiritual life and service... "

So there is even more you must do to be saved than those 9 things? Will you remain saved if you fail to do any of those things?

Then you are practicing two baptism today, Holy Spirit and Water Baptism. This is contrary to Ephesians 4:5. You can't have two today!

No, I didn't feel compelled to jump up and get wet after I repented. So I'm only practicing and promoting one baptism. Just as I only promote one Church. I hardly know you, but I know Christ, and Christ chose Paul. For spiritual guidence, I'll choose Paul's over yours.

"Call it what you may."

I don't know anyone else that refers to baptism as a "medium", you are the first I know of.

"Immersion is the point chosen by God that Christ's cleansing blood affects(Acts 22:16). "

In Acts 22:16? Paul is speaking to a crowd and you believe this is the point God "chose" a "medium"? I am truly baffled with your use of this verse to support that view, it makes no sense.

"Where do you find the phraseology, "...I need to repent and accept Christ as my Savior?"

I find the *idea* of men needing to repent and turn to God from Genesis to Revelation. I find in the NT Jesus is the Lamb prophesied who will take away the sins of the world. I see John say, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." Is semantics what you want to argue?

"If you can show me that preaching one needs to hear the gospel,"

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. Rom 10:17

"believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah,"

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

"repent of sin"

I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. Acts 20:21

"confess Jesus as the Son of God"

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Rom 10:9

"be immersed in water for the remission of sins"

Please refer to post 56

"enduring in service to God through Christ"

Perhpas you could provide some verses that support this so I know what you mean by "endure".

So there is even more you must do to be saved than those 9 things? Will you remain saved if you fail to do any of those things?

The nine things I listed in my post are not all inclusive of my spiritual salvation or spiritual service. The New Testament consist of 29 books in the canon of scripture. Where there are commandments (directly made, or inferred) that apply to my spiritual life then I must include them in service to the Lord. This is because I desire to do the Lord's will and not my own. (Matthew 7:21-23).

No, I didn't feel compelled to jump up and get wet after I repented. So I'm only practicing and promoting one baptism. Just as I only promote one Church. I hardly know you, but I know Christ, and Christ chose Paul. For spiritual guidence, I'll choose Paul's over yours.

You still have not shown one example of Holy Spirit baptism for salvation. What are you waiting for? Did Paul ever baptize anyone in the Holy Spirit for salvation? Did he ever baptize anyone in the Holy Spirit? Did anyone other than Jesus ever baptize in the Holy Spirit?

I don't know anyone else that refers to baptism as a "medium", you are the first I know of.

Do you understand the purpose for a medium? It is not hard to understand. The Ethiopian eunuch saw water (Acts 8:36), and understood how important, at the time, it was. So important was that body of water that he asked what prevented him from then being baptized. Philip sensed his eagerness to obey God's will. Philip said, If you believe you can be baptized. He replied, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Then they departed the chariot, both Philip and the eunuch, they both went down into the water and Philip baptized him. Straightway the eunuch came up out of the water and went on his way rejoicing. Why, because he was taught that the blood of Christ cleanses us from sin (Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 9:14; Acts 22:16). He knew he was now cleansed and able to celebrate by rejoicing.

In Acts 22:16? Paul is speaking to a crowd and you believe this is the point God "chose" a "medium"? I am truly baffled with your use of this verse to support that view, it makes no sense.

Yes, he is relating his conversion to a party of people. Paul is recalling his conversation at the time he was in Damascus of Syria with Ananias the preacher (Read also Acts 9). He saw the Lord Jesus on the road to Damascus. He was told by the Lord to go into the city and he would be told what he must do (Acts 9:6). He had been praying for three days but was still in his sins. He was never told that he must pray into salvation, so this is not what he was told he must do. The only thing that Ananias told him that he must do is "...arise and be baptized and wash away your sins" (Acts 22:16). What do you suppose Philip said to the eunuch that so caused him to seek an immediate baptism in the water by the wayside? If it wasn't so important, as so many believe, then why did he seek it so urgently?

I find the *idea* of men needing to repent and turn to God from Genesis to Revelation. I find in the NT Jesus is the Lamb prophesied who will take away the sins of the world. I see John say, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." Is semantics what you want to argue?

I find the idea of men needing to repent and turn to God from Genesis to Revelation also, but that is not the question I asked. The theme of this thread is Where does it say that man needs to repent and accept Christ as their personal savior. I asked you to explain its location. You failed to deliver. Your scriptural reference(s) does not negate the need to obey the gospel in baptism for the remission of sins one bit. Paul told Timothy to "...study to show yourself approved unto God..." ( 2 Tim. 2:15). Now, if this inspired apostle meant for us to study the meanings of words, which is exactly what I believe he meant, then I believe we should debate semantics.

Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. Rom 10:17

I agree.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

I agree.

have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. Acts 20:21

I agree

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Rom 10:9

Romans 10:9 is said to the church. The church has it command to confess Christ as Lord and believe that He has been raised from the dead but not unto salvation but while they are in salvation. It is not intended for the alien sinner. You could have referenced Matthew 10:32 which includes the alien sinner.

Please refer to post 56

I don't want to sound brash or unsympathetic, but, I am rather dissapointed with your short statement. Did Jesus say to refer to post 56? There are people who are reading our posts who what a running account of your understanding of the immediate subject. They don't want to be told to check post 56. You should have given a courteous entry of your understanding of "be immersed in water for the remission of sins", not ask me and others to refer to post 56.

"enduring in service to God through Christ"

Perhpas you could provide some verses that support this so I know what you mean by "endure".

Endure and being faithful until death are two terms used in the NT and are synonymous with each other. (See Matthew 24:13, 2 Thess. 1:4, 2 Tim. 2:3, James 5:11 and Rev. 2:10 for my meaning).

In all sincerity I insert my opening statement to this thread...

Many people believe that as long as one accepts Christ as his or her personal savior, he or she will be saved. I ask the question, “What do they mean when one accepts Christ?� In Matthew 7:21-23, we see some people who accepted Jesus, but He never knew them. The Bible likens conversion to a marriage. In every marriage, both parties must consent to the marriage, right? Colossians 2:6 says we must accept Christ and Romans 15:7 says Christ must accept us. I ask you, "Where does the Bible make this statement? Where does it say that if one will only accept Christ as their personal savior apart from ones obedience to the gospel on matters of faith, repentance, baptism for the remission of sins and enduring to the end of life he or she will be saved? How may one be saved and not obey the gospel on matters of salvation?

JustAChristian

I will be away from this thread for a week or so. I will not have access to a computer. I have urgent business in Missouri from my home in Tennessee. Please keep me and my family in your prayers while we are away. I hope to post again by the 11th of September.

JustAChristian

Answering Acts 19:1-6

Answering Acts 19:1-6

Acts 19:1-6
Paul in Ephesus

While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"

That seems an odd question to ask, unless one does receive the Spirit "when they believe".

They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?"

Notice Paul asked what "baptism" they received since they didn't receive the Holy Spirit upon believing?

"John's baptism," they replied. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

On hearing they needed to "believe in Christ", not the "water baptism of repentance", they were "baptized into the Name" aka the Body of Christ. I notice there is no mention of water here, only hearing what they needed to know.

When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all.

Of course one could argue Paul ran out and got his hands wet, but that wasn't the way baptism was done with water at that time.

Paul was at Ephesus, Apollos having departed to Corinth. While there he met these disciples of Apollos who at an earlier time only knew the baptism of John. Paul asked them if they had received the Holy Spirit since they believed. The Holy Spirit become an inward manifestation to all baptized believer of the baptism of Christ (Acts 2:38; Romans 8:9). Since they had not known that there was a Holy Spirit to indwell them Paul reasoned that they had not been baptized with the baptism of the commission of Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). He baptized them the baptism for the remission of sin. (Acts 10:43). He then imparted the gift measure of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands as did Peter and John of Acts 8:14-17. It is simple when you understand that the gift of the Holy Spirit is for all as a surity of our salvation in Christ (Eph. 1:13-14).

Good Night!! Back on or about the 11th of Sept.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Does the context of Romans 9...

Re: Does the context of Romans 9...

Originally posted by JustAChristian

lighthouse,

Not specifically, but neither does it directly cover repentance, does it? But, I am sure that you would agree that repentance is essencia before one can be saved. You've got to understand that Paul is addressing the church at Rome which had already obeyed baptism.

Repentance is an effect of salvation. It comes afterward.

Lovejoy

Re: Re: Does the context of Romans 9...

Is this a total depravity discussion, in which faith and repentance have to come from God? I have always found this line of discussion very interesting, and have not come to a conclusion of my own. Perhaps Luther was right, perhaps not. It has always seemed a good explanation of the "elect".

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't believe that faith comes from God. I just believe that repentance is an effect of salvation. Or an effect of faith. Salvation comes beofer repentance. God's grace and love effects His children...causing them to obey [morally]. For in the Spirit there is no sin, therefore, if you are in the Spirit there is no sin in you.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
JAC,
"The nine things I listed in my post are not all inclusive of my spiritual salvation or spiritual service. "

That's why I asked which ones are necessary and/or which ones might cost you salvation. Care to share at this point?

"Do you understand the purpose for a medium? "

Yes, I do. I used to be a pagan

"Yes, he is relating his conversion to a party of people. "

Yes, that "he" is Paul, not introducing anything new to the crowd. Baptisms roots are much older than Paul.

"I find the idea of men needing to repent and turn to God from Genesis to Revelation also, but that is not the question I asked. '

I'm not going to argue semantics.

"Romans 10:9 is said to the church."

"The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

"Endure and being faithful until death are two terms used in the NT and are synonymous with each other."

Being faithful, as in? Enduring, as in?

"Since they had not known that there was a Holy Spirit to indwell them Paul reasoned that they had not been baptized with the baptism of the commission of Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). He baptized them the baptism for the remission of sin. "

"Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"

"No..."

"Then what baptism did you receive?"

"John's baptism"

"John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."

What you "reason" and what the Bible says aren't the same.

I will keep you in my prayers, be safe :)

LightSon

LightSon-
I did not mean that as an insult. I apologize.

JustAChristian-
1] Yes.
2] Yes.
3] Yes
4] I've been baptized in the Spirit, but my water baptism has nothing to do with the remission of my sins. Christ's blood took care of that.

lighthouse,
I did take it as an insult. I haven't been on much lately and have gotten thin skin. I accept your apology :) and my heart is made glad.

And you answered JustAChristian's questions correctly! :up:

LightSon

Originally posted by billwald

"Accepting Christ as a personal savour" is not a biblical concept.

It is a Biblical concept. I have a ways to go to catch up in this thread and am sure others will cover the issue better than I could.

Yes it is "conventional" in a sense, just like "asking Jesus to come into your heart." So in a technical sense you may have a point.
Nevertheless:
Jesus is my savior.
I must to believe in Him (hence "accept Him" as it were the premise).
His is my savior.
And His salvation is applied to me personally (i.e. individually) and not as a function of joining some manmade group.
Surely you accept these points?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Those who accept Christ will be obedient. Those who claim to accept Christ and are not obedient did not accept Christ. Because accepting Christ means to accpet all He is, and everything He stands for.
Not trying to start a fight here but it would seem to me that a lot of Christians have a pretty limited understanding of all Christ is.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If you accept Christ into your life, and He lives in you, then you have accepted all He is, even if you don't know what that "all" is. But, for the sake of understanding, I meant accepting all we do know [all that is offered us in His word].

JustAChristian

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!

Poor exegesis to say that repentance comes after salvation. Peter said, “Repent and be baptized for the remission of sins� in Acts 2:38. Likewise, in Acts 3:19 he commanded the listeners to “repent and be converted that your sins might be blotted out� In the matter of a child of God sinning within his salvation, one needs to repent when they do sin as in Simon’s case (Acts 8:22), but one needs to understand that unless there was initial repentance of the heart when sins wefirst washed away (Acts 22:16) there is no salvation.

“...(Paul and Silas ) showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.� (Acts 26:20 AV)

Aimiel

I don't believe that faith comes from God.
I believe it does, because of this scripture: "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." I don't believe that anyone is 'left out' of that dealing out from The Lord of their faith, but that some take it lightly, duck it or otherwise discount it.

JustAChristian

It is great to be back...

It is great to be back...

JAC,
"The nine things I listed in my post are not all inclusive of my spiritual salvation or spiritual service. "

That's why I asked which ones are necessary and/or which ones might cost you salvation. Care to share at this point?

"Do you understand the purpose for a medium? "

Yes, I do. I used to be a pagan

"Yes, he is relating his conversion to a party of people. "

Yes, that "he" is Paul, not introducing anything new to the crowd. Baptisms roots are much older than Paul.

"I find the idea of men needing to repent and turn to God from Genesis to Revelation also, but that is not the question I asked. '

I'm not going to argue semantics.

"Romans 10:9 is said to the church."

"The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

"Endure and being faithful until death are two terms used in the NT and are synonymous with each other."

Being faithful, as in? Enduring, as in?

"Since they had not known that there was a Holy Spirit to indwell them Paul reasoned that they had not been baptized with the baptism of the commission of Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). He baptized them the baptism for the remission of sin. "

"Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?"

"No..."

"Then what baptism did you receive?"

"John's baptism"

"John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."

What you "reason" and what the Bible says aren't the same.

I will keep you in my prayers, be safe :)

Thanks to all who kept us in your prayers. It is great to be baxk home.

Where does the bible say that one should or must accept Jesus as their "personal savior?" Many use this expression and discount the real important thing which is obedience to the gospel (Romans 1:16; Romans 10:16). They believe and teach that the Holy Spirit is effective in salvation when the bible speaks nothing to this. They believe that repentance comes after salvation when the bible plainly teaches that one must repent before baptism (Acts 2:38; 3:19). In fact, they fail to give water baptism its proper place at all.

Are we baptized in the name of Jesus Christ in water or the Spirit? Everyone understands that Jesus was referring to water baptism when He commanded the apostles to, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20). When Jesus commanded the apostles to baptize in water in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit, we should not be surprised to see Peter commanding water baptism in the name of the Son.

In Acts 8, we are told of Philip teaching the Samaritans
about Jesus. In verse twelve, the Samaritans were baptized when they believed what Philip taught. Later in the text
we can read, "Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit" (Acts 8:14-17). Notice why Peter and John prayed for the Samaritans to receive the Holy Spirit. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus!
Baptism "in the name of the Lord" cannot be Spirit baptism, otherwise the apostles would not have had to come to Samaria to lay their hands on them so they could receive the Spirit! The only alternative is that baptism "in the name of the Lord" is water baptism, and Peter taught that we are to be baptized in the name of the Lord for the remission of sins. In Acts 19, the apostle Paul met twelve men in Ephesus who had only been baptized into John's baptism. He taught them about Jesus and
we are told, "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied" (Acts 19:5-6).

Once again, we need to notice the order of events. The twelve disciples of Apollos were first baptized "in the name of the Lord Jesus," and afterwards, the apostle Paul laid his hands on them so they could receive the Holy Spirit. If baptism "in the name of the Lord" is Spirit baptism, then why did Paul have to lay his hands on them and give them the Spirit? The claim that baptism "in the name of the Lord" is Spirit baptism is false. Baptism for the remission of sins in the name of the Lord can only be water baptism. Those who argue that it is Holy Spirit baptism are refusing to accept the plain simple words of an inspired apostle of Jesus Christ.

I trust you will not be quick now to discount the purpose of water baptism and will continue to study the subject.

JustAChristian

JustAChristian

If you accept Christ into your life, and He lives in you, then you have accepted all He is, even if you don't know what that "all" is. But, for the sake of understanding, I meant accepting all we do know [all that is offered us in His word].

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

JustAChristian

JustAChristian

Answered JustAChristian?

Answered JustAChristian?

Originally posted by LightSon

lighthouse,
I did take it as an insult. I haven't been on much lately and have gotten thin skin. I accept your apology :) and my heart is made glad.

And you answered JustAChristian's questions correctly! :up:

And you answered JustAChristian's questions correctly!

How do you figure that? He has denied the written word!

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Commenting On John 3:5

Re: Re: Commenting On John 3:5

I brought this up because you said that the baptism of the Spirit was not for everyone, or for all instances of salvation. I posted this to show that it is.

Now, address this:
"Indeed, under the law almost everything was purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins."
-Hebrews 9:22

It is Christ's blood that is for the remission of our sins. And I have been baptized in that blood. That is the baptism that saved me.

Romans 6:3-5 alludes to what you have said. We are united into the death of Christ, where he shed his blood, when we are baptized into him. It is the blood of Christ that covers our sins. It can not be attained outside of immersion (Acts. 22:16). It is my mission to get this message into all the world.

In Christ,
JustAChristian

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Does the context of Romans 9...

Re: Re: Re: Does the context of Romans 9...

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!

Poor exegesis to say that repentance comes after salvation. Peter said, “Repent and be baptized for the remission of sins� in Acts 2:38. Likewise, in Acts 3:19 he commanded the listeners to “repent and be converted that your sins might be blotted out� In the matter of a child of God sinning within his salvation, one needs to repent when they do sin as in Simon’s case (Acts 8:22), but one needs to understand that unless there was initial repentance of the heart when sins wefirst washed away (Acts 22:16) there is no salvation.

“...(Paul and Silas ) showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.� (Acts 26:20 AV)
Repentance is an effect of grace. Salvation is by grace. Because the Spirit is in us, we repent of our disobedience. All we repent of, initially, is our unbelief. Thenm by grace, we live in repentance.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Aimiel

I believe it does, because of this scripture: "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." I don't believe that anyone is 'left out' of that dealing out from The Lord of their faith, but that some take it lightly, duck it or otherwise discount it.
I meant initial belief. I was actually just arguing against the idea of "election."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

JustAChristian
:liberals::confused: