ECT What is the Will of God . . .

nikolai_42

You left out what He said here:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life"
(Jn.5:24).​

"Has" eternal life and will not be judged. How can someone lose their eternal life in the Son if they will not come into judgment?

And we can see that Christians already possess eternal life and that life is in the Son:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"
(1 Jn.5:11).​

We also know that eternal life is a "gift" from God (Ro.6:23) and He will not take back His gifts:

"for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable" (Ro.11:29).​

So we can understand that the Christian already possesses eternal life in the Son and he won't come into judgment and he will never perish and the LORD will not take back that eternal life but yet you say that a Christian's salvation isn't complete!

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
John 8:31

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
Romans 11:22

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
Colossians 1:23

Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
I Timothy 2:15

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

I John 2:18-19

Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

I John 2:23-24

And here's the point. This isn't about specific things that someone has to go through to become saved. In one sense we are already saved. But we do not possess it all at that point. We have access to it all but do not possess it all. We are not "there" yet. From an eternal standpoint, it is already accomplished. If you think, for example, of the vision Daniel had of the image with the head of gold. That was something in heaven that appeared instantaneously that had to be "dragged through" time to show it completely. There was no way to experience all those empires in an instant. So it is that it does not appear what we shall be - only that we will be like Him when we see Him as He is. We can't - in this realm of time - come to know that except over time.

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Revelation 22:11-13

The beginning and the end...He is looking at things as accomplished because they are. Those who are wicked will do wickedly and those who are not will do good. From an eternal perspective, the wicked man's "goodness" won't do him any good. And the righteous man's holiness isn't his own - it isn't the thing that earns him heaven - it only evidences that he has been prepared for it by God.

Those who are saved will persevere. But to the individual who is bound in time, these are commands. These are injunctions. These are warnings and evidences that allow us to see if we are really saved or not.

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2 Corinthians 13:5

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:3-11

You may point out verse 3 that His divine power has give us all things that pertain to life and godliness. But there again, you are looking at it eternally and then want to apply it temporally. Eternally, all is immediately (though that is even the wrong word since it implies time) visible. It is where we see that which is (all at once, so to speak). But in time, we don't have it worked out in us. We don't have it evidenced in us - so we are commanded to pursue holiness. Pursue Godliness. If we do, we are only evidencing that we are His. If we don't we are evidencing that we are not. In Revelation 22, that man's work that is rewarded is not really (in origin) his own - it is God's.

Those that say "I'm saved since I've received Christ" and leave it at that are resting (often) on a single decision of their own. They are resting on a prayer prayed at one time. They are resting, ultimately, on what they did and not what God has done (and is doing) in them. As Peter indicates, it is only the one who God is continuing to work in that shows that he is truly born of God. Hebrews puts it negatively that those who God doesn't chastise are illegitimate. Same idea, though. If God is working in a man, that's the only thing that can be relied upon for salvation. If He isn't and that man is saying he was changed once, prayed once etc... and has not progressed, that man has every right to be concerned that he was never truly saved. God's timing may be different from one person to another, but at some point we have to reckon with fruit (or a lack thereof) and consider whether we are actually continuing on.

Until we are before Him, there must be growth. A thing that is alive but doesn't grow? Rather suspect.

So to wrap this back to the original thought that prompted me to respond to CR, Paul's cry in Philippians 3 is a deep-seated desire to continue to grow up into the head (Christ) and be identified more and more with Him and less and less with Paul. It is to really become identified with His suffering (and it's not as if Paul wasn't already suffering persecution) and know Him in a way that can't be had merely by reading a book. It has to be the work of God in a man and it is only realized progressively. The seed may contain the whole tree it will grow into (so to speak) but it doesn't appear right away. Only over time is that proved.

Jerry Shugart

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

That has nothing to do with having eternal life in the Son. Do you not know the difference between discipleship and having eternal life in the Son?

Besides that, the Christian alreadsy possesses eternal life in the Son and the Greek word translated "eternal" means "without end." If a Christian csan end up not having eternal life in the Son then that means that it was never "eternal" to begin with. But John says that it is eternal.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

That's not speaking of salvation because the Lord said that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish. He also said the following:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out"​
(Jn.6:37).​

Why do you continue to quote verses which you think proves that a Christian can perish despite the fact that the Lord Jesus said that they can't?

Why do you not realize that God will not take back the gift of eternal life in the Son which He gives to Christians?

nikolai_42

That has nothing to do with having eternal life in the Son. Do you not know the difference between discipleship and having eternal life in the Son?

Besides that, the Christian alreadsy possesses eternal life in the Son and the Greek word translated "eternal" means "without end." If a Christian csan end up not having eternal life in the Son then that means that it was never "eternal" to begin with. But John says that it is eternal.

So someone can have eternal life without following Christ? Discipleship implies following Christ. That's what a disciple is. If someone called themselves (for example) a Buddhist, how much sense would it make for them to say they aren't a disciple of the Buddha?

And again, I'm not saying a Christian can end up not having eternal life. I'm merely saying everyone who calls themselves a Christian isn't necessarily known by Christ.

That's not speaking of salvation because the Lord said that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish. He also said the following:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out"​
(Jn.6:37).​

Why do you continue to quote verses which you think proves that a Christian can perish despite the fact that the Lord Jesus said that they can't?

Why do you not realize that God will not take back the gift of eternal life in the Son which He gives to Christians?

You haven't read my post very carefully, then. Because that's not what I said. I am saying that the granting of eternal life is to every true believer. But not everyone that says they are a Christian is truly born again. Their lives will bear that out. Part of that being born out is not being willing just to get in the door of the kingdom (i.e. just to escape punishment). It is to really know Christ. To become acquainted with His suffering and the power of His resurrection. To grow in grace and the knowledge of Him. To grow in all areas of life in Christ. Perseverance is one of the marks of a true believer. But since it is borne out over time (and only borne out over time) it can't be assessed at a single moment. That's part of the reason the whole altar call movement is on weak footing (but that's another topic). We don't possess in fullness until we are fully saved (in the completed sense). And again, part of the reason that may sound contradictory is because of the mixing of statements that deal with time and those that deal with eternity. But from a timebound perspective, you don't have it all...yet.

Jerry Shugart

So someone can have eternal life without following Christ?

I have already quoted Him saying that those who "believe" receive eternal life. And I have already shown that once a person believes and therefore has eternal life then he will never perish.

You now want to talk about what happens after a person believes but that is a different subject.

And again, I'm not saying a Christian can end up not having eternal life. I'm merely saying everyone who calls themselves a Christian isn't necessarily known by Christ.

So you agree that once a person receives eternal life in the Son when they believe they will always have that eternal life?

I am saying that the granting of eternal life is to every true believer. But not everyone that says they are a Christian is truly born again.

The discussion was in regard to true believers, those who already have eternal life in the Son.

Their lives will bear that out. Part of that being born out is not being willing just to get in the door of the kingdom (i.e. just to escape punishment). It is to really know Christ. To become acquainted with His suffering and the power of His resurrection. To grow in grace and the knowledge of Him. To grow in all areas of life in Christ. Perseverance is one of the marks of a true believer. But since it is borne out over time (and only borne out over time) it can't be assessed at a single moment. That's part of the reason the whole altar call movement is on weak footing (but that's another topic). We don't possess in fullness until we are fully saved (in the completed sense). And again, part of the reason that may sound contradictory is because of the mixing of statements that deal with time and those that deal with eternity. But from a timebound perspective, you don't have it all...yet.

The subject is the eternal security of those who believe and not anything which happens after they believe.

Cross Reference

Peter says that a person is "born again" by the gospel:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you"
(1Pet.1:23,25).​

The Greek word translated "being born of God" is in the "present" tense so everyone who believes the gospel is born again the moment when they believe the gospel.

THe Gospel is about Jesus Christ therefore in this the word "believe" is to imply you are of Him as a disciple; His DNA residing within you. That is what John 3:16 KJV infers.

Cross Reference

The Lord Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not be sent until He departed to be with the Father and He had not yet departed to be with the Father when He said what He said at John 20:22:

"But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you"
(Jn.16:5-7).​

"Jesus saith unto her [Mary], Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:17 (KJV)

". . "and when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:" John 20:22 (KJV)

Please draw you own conclusions from the account.

OMT: There are three manifestations of the Holy Spirit. Do you know what they are?

ttruscott

What is the Will of God . . .

The will of GOD is to fulfill HIS purpose of the heavenly marriage with HIS holy Church.
The will of GOD for humans is that the sinful good seed will repent and become holy which will save them from the judgment upon the tares. When the sinful elect are redeemed and sanctified fully, then the judgement day will cleanse all the tares from this reality by their bodies burning and the banishment of their spirits to the outer darkness…SO HE can finally marry HIS Bride!!!

This becoming holy is how we can speed up the coming of the dreadful day of the LORD, 2 Peter 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of GOD. In verse 12, “hasting unto” may mean “hastening the coming”, as the NIV has it, “speed its coming”. If this is true, then one can not help but wonder how it is possible that we can hasten the coming of the day of GOD's judgement? What part do we have in it? Well, may I suggest that if it was postponed because of our disobedience (unholiness), then we probably will have to repent of that disobedience and get into all holy conversation and godliness before it will happen, and that is HIS will for HIS sinful elect.

Jerry Shugart

Please draw you own conclusions from the account.

So are you actually saying that the Lord had already ascended into heaven prior to this?:

"And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven" (Acts 1:9-11).​

Are you saying that prior to that He ascended into heaven and then returned prior to that?

If not, what are you saying?

Faither

BANNED
Banned
I have already quoted Him saying that those who "believe" receive eternal life. And I have already shown that once a person believes and therefore has eternal life then he will never perish.

You now want to talk about what happens after a person believes but that is a different subject.

So you agree that once a person receives eternal life in the Son when they believe they will always have that eternal life?

The discussion was in regard to true believers, those who already have eternal life in the Son.

The subject is the eternal security of those who believe and not anything which happens after they believe.

Nothing happens to those who only believe , and nothing happens after they believe .

Wake up !!

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Promoting that when you didn't know the difference was one thing Jerry , promoting it when you've been shown the truth is another .

Cross Reference

So are you actually saying that the Lord had already ascended into heaven prior to this?:

"And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven" (Acts 1:9-11).​

Are you saying that prior to that He ascended into heaven and then returned prior to that?

If not, what are you saying?

Jerry, I am not saying it. By that verse, the scripture tells us that is what He had to do, viz, present Himself to His Father first as His completed 'Work' as His "*Lord" and without contamination [my reasoning here else why would He not let Mary embrace Him?] before He could 'administer by His Holiness/Glorification by the indwelling'; the giving of the "Spirit of Christ", the "Light" of Himself, the "Lamp unto my feet", per John 1:9 KJV? The Godhead made complete in man "Oneness Pentecostals" mistakenly presume He was before He was Glorified.

*"My Lord said to my Lord. . . Ps 110:1 KJV."

Cross Reference

You left out what He said here:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life"
(Jn.5:24).​

"Has" eternal life and will not be judged. How can someone lose their eternal life in the Son if they will not come into judgment?

And we can see that Christians already possess eternal life and that life is in the Son:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"
(1 Jn.5:11).​

We also know that eternal life is a "gift" from God (Ro.6:23) and He will not take back His gifts:

"for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable" (Ro.11:29).​

So we can understand that the Christian already possesses eternal life in the Son and he won't come into judgment and he will never perish and the LORD will not take back that eternal life but yet you say that a Christian's salvation isn't complete!

That all can't be argued with except the gifted, by the will of God, are given to protect His indwelling else how could 'gifted man' overcome his vanity? God's will is for gifted man, new born from above to be a 'little Bethelem', "full of Grace and Truth".

Cross Reference

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
Colossians 1:23

Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
I Timothy 2:15

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

I John 2:18-19

Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

I John 2:23-24

And here's the point. This isn't about specific things that someone has to go through to become saved. In one sense we are already saved. But we do not possess it all at that point. We have access to it all but do not possess it all. We are not "there" yet. From an eternal standpoint, it is already accomplished. If you think, for example, of the vision Daniel had of the image with the head of gold. That was something in heaven that appeared instantaneously that had to be "dragged through" time to show it completely. There was no way to experience all those empires in an instant. So it is that it does not appear what we shall be - only that we will be like Him when we see Him as He is. We can't - in this realm of time - come to know that except over time.

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Revelation 22:11-13

The beginning and the end...He is looking at things as accomplished because they are. Those who are wicked will do wickedly and those who are not will do good. From an eternal perspective, the wicked man's "goodness" won't do him any good. And the righteous man's holiness isn't his own - it isn't the thing that earns him heaven - it only evidences that he has been prepared for it by God.

Those who are saved will persevere. But to the individual who is bound in time, these are commands. These are injunctions. These are warnings and evidences that allow us to see if we are really saved or not.

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
2 Corinthians 13:5

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:3-11

You may point out verse 3 that His divine power has give us all things that pertain to life and godliness. But there again, you are looking at it eternally and then want to apply it temporally. Eternally, all is immediately (though that is even the wrong word since it implies time) visible. It is where we see that which is (all at once, so to speak). But in time, we don't have it worked out in us. We don't have it evidenced in us - so we are commanded to pursue holiness. Pursue Godliness. If we do, we are only evidencing that we are His. If we don't we are evidencing that we are not. In Revelation 22, that man's work that is rewarded is not really (in origin) his own - it is God's.

Those that say "I'm saved since I've received Christ" and leave it at that are resting (often) on a single decision of their own. They are resting on a prayer prayed at one time. They are resting, ultimately, on what they did and not what God has done (and is doing) in them. As Peter indicates, it is only the one who God is continuing to work in that shows that he is truly born of God. Hebrews puts it negatively that those who God doesn't chastise are illegitimate. Same idea, though. If God is working in a man, that's the only thing that can be relied upon for salvation. If He isn't and that man is saying he was changed once, prayed once etc... and has not progressed, that man has every right to be concerned that he was never truly saved. God's timing may be different from one person to another, but at some point we have to reckon with fruit (or a lack thereof) and consider whether we are actually continuing on.

Until we are before Him, there must be growth. A thing that is alive but doesn't grow? Rather suspect.

So to wrap this back to the original thought that prompted me to respond to CR, Paul's cry in Philippians 3 is a deep-seated desire to continue to grow up into the head (Christ) and be identified more and more with Him and less and less with Paul. It is to really become identified with His suffering (and it's not as if Paul wasn't already suffering persecution) and know Him in a way that can't be had merely by reading a book. It has to be the work of God in a man and it is only realized progressively. The seed may contain the whole tree it will grow into (so to speak) but it doesn't appear right away. Only over time is that proved.

Good Word, Nik! One that should never be taken lightly.

Cross Reference

September 22nd

The missionary’s Master

"Ye call Me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am". John 13:13.

To have a master and to be mastered is not the same thing. To have a master means that there is one who knows me better than I know myself, one who is closer than a friend, one who fathoms the remotest abyss of my heart and satisfies it, one who has brought me into the secure sense that he has met and solved every perplexity and problem of my mind. To have a master is this and nothing less—“One is your Master, even Christ.”

Our Lord never enforces obedience; He does not take means to make me do what He wants. At certain times I wish God would master me and make me do the thing, but He will not; in other moods I wish He would leave me alone, but He does not.

“Ye call me Master and Lord”—but is He? Master and Lord have little place in our vocabulary, we prefer the words Saviour, Sanctifier, Healer. The only word to describe mastership in experience is love, and we know very little about love as God reveals it. This is proved by the way we use the word obey. In the Bible obedience is based on the relationship of equals, that of a son with his father. Our Lord was not God’s servant, He was His son. *“Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience …” If our idea is that we are being mastered, it is a proof that we have no master; if that is our attitude to Jesus, we are far away from the relationship He wants. He wants us in the relationship in which He is easily Master without our conscious knowledge of it, all we know is that we are His to obey.

Oswald Chambers

*Why?? "For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings." Hebrews 2:10 (KJV)

Obviously, we know Jesus was saved. So why did He have to learn obedience? Unto what, may I ask? That it should be an example to the Christian? What is the difference that being "born again" is of more importance to God and that it should be pursued as being an extention of saying a sinners prayer? Scripture say: 'Let him who desires it first count the cost'.

Jerry Shugart

Nothing happens to those who only believe , and nothing happens after they believe .

Wake up !!

So Paul and those with him were wrong when they answered the question as they did here?

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).​

Faither

BANNED
Banned
So Paul and those with him were wrong when they answered the question as they did here?

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).​

No , the translation is wrong . You've built your relationship with Christ on the mistranslation , so that is also wrong . Now you'll either do something about it , or reject it , your choice .

Faither

BANNED
Banned
Then give me a translation which is correct.

You can't go into the Greek dictionary and look for yourself , you want to play some kind of game with God and His Word ? Especially since I've already shown you the correct translation many times .

Instead of , ," believe " in the Lord Jesus Christ , and thou shall be saved . It's , " personally surrender your life to Him , and live a life inspired by such surrender , " and thou shall be saved .