What is the Gospel?

God's Truth

This is the Gospel;

1 Corinthians 15:1-4Modern English Version (MEV)

1 Now, brothers, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which you have received, and in which you stand.

2 Through it you are saved, if you keep in memory what I preached to you, unless you have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: how Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

4 was buried, rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

The gospel is believe and obey Jesus.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus was acknowledging that he was God when he said that.
I don't see that emphasis in the text at all. In fact, this is one of the characteristic short one-liners Jesus uttered and they a short enough in my view to have been easily remembered and repeated.

Please show me how you come to such a conclusion. Are you positive you are not just projecting your own personal theology and meaning back into the quotation?

Jesus says we can know what is in their hearts by what they say.
It doesn't take a quotation from Jesus or anyone else to indicate the buried wisdom in such an idea. And if we aren't particularly self-aware of our own unique thinking processes, we will forever be walking the earth believing we and we alone are right.

Humility is a virtue, the way I see it.

Jesus told us to pay attention to the logs in our own eyes before we deem to point out the tiny specks of sawdust in others. So what are YOUR logs in your own eyes? Can you tell me and reveal the truth in an open forum?

Jesus also says that we are to judge those who call themselves brothers.
Name-calling and mockery was not part of his advice. Remember what he said about calling our brother "a fool"?

You will not know what the scriptures truly mean until you do what Jesus says. That is when Jesus will reveal himself to you. See John 14:21, and John 7:17.

America has a long way to wait for Jesus' revelation then. We have become a modern Roman Empire that has already nailed him to the cross. There is no sanctity of life, no nonviolence, no loving our enemies, plenty of immature and ignorant judging, and not too much forgiveness extended to others. And don't get me started on our moral failure to take in the stranger and the immigrant and open our homes and our table fellowship to them.

A valuable bit of theology in John has Jesus saying that no one comes to the Father except me. Forgetting the obvious emphasis on how great he is saying his personality is, it is a useful thing to remember when we look at other world faiths around us. Jesus is God, love, justice, mercy, peace and love personified in my view. And no one can get to the Father without realizing that only by coming to God with love and peace and justice and mercy can come to the Father.

And you continue to exhort others to "believe, believe, believe" without suffering the slightest urge to squarely face your own behavior towards others. I see you as a bit arrogant. I do not like bullies, particularly theological bullies.

Again, the Jesus of John's gospel is so foreign to the Jesus of history in the synoptics that it is hardly useful for pontificating on what Jesus "really" wants!

John's Jesus does not "walk his talk" and for this reason, I personally do not look for Jesus as he was when walking the earth. John is crammed through with theology, not history. We can certainly look to it as an example of the early church's dogma, but that's about it.

God's Truth

I don't see that emphasis in the text at all. In fact, this is one of the characteristic short one-liners Jesus uttered and they a short enough in my view to have been easily remembered and repeated.

Please show me how you come to such a conclusion. Are you positive you are not just projecting your own personal theology and meaning back into the quotation?
I am positive I am preaching God's Truth. Believe the what the scriptures plainly say.

It doesn't take a quotation from Jesus or anyone else to indicate the buried wisdom in such an idea. And if we aren't particularly self-aware of our own unique thinking processes, we will forever be walking the earth believing we and we alone are right.

Humility is a virtue, the way I see it.

Jesus told us to pay attention to the logs in our own eyes before we deem to point out the tiny specks of sawdust in others. So what are YOUR logs in your own eyes? Can you tell me and reveal the truth in an open forum?
I took out the log in my my own eye, and now I want to help others take the log out of their eyes.

I was without God and always wanted to be with God.

I was in false denominations, but I longed for God. I couldn't understand why I did not feel saved or loved by God.

When I started to obey Jesus, then I was saved, then I had understanding.

I removed the log from my eye and want to help others.

Name-calling and mockery was not part of his advice. Remember what he said about calling our brother "a fool"?
GM has called me a fool many times.

America has a long way to wait for Jesus' revelation then. We have become a modern Roman Empire that has already nailed him to the cross. There is no sanctity of life, no nonviolence, no loving our enemies, plenty of immature and ignorant judging, and not too much forgiveness extended to others. And don't get me started on our moral failure to take in the stranger and the immigrant and open our homes and our table fellowship to them.

A valuable bit of theology in John has Jesus saying that no one comes to the Father except me. Forgetting the obvious emphasis on how great he is saying his personality is, it is a useful thing to remember when we look at other world faiths around us. Jesus is God, love, justice, mercy, peace and love personified in my view. And no one can get to the Father without realizing that only by coming to God with love and peace and justice and mercy can come to the Father.

And you continue to exhort others to "believe, believe, believe" without suffering the slightest urge to squarely face your own behavior towards others. I see you as a bit arrogant. I do not like bullies, particularly theological bullies.

Again, the Jesus of John's gospel is so foreign to the Jesus of history in the synoptics that it is hardly useful for pontificating on what Jesus "really" wants!

John's Jesus does not "walk his talk" and for this reason, I personally do not look for Jesus as he was when walking the earth. John is crammed through with theology, not history. We can certainly look to it as an example of the early church's dogma, but that's about it.

Believe and obey Jesus according to the written Word of God, and then you will be given understanding.

turbosixx

This is the Gospel;

1 Corinthians 15:1-4Modern English Version (MEV)

1 Now, brothers, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which you have received, and in which you stand.

2 Through it you are saved, if you keep in memory what I preached to you, unless you have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: how Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

4 was buried, rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

In your understanding, what is grace?

turbosixx

It does not say "the gospel", but "the gospel of Christ" (Romans 1:16 KJV) which was the good news to the Jew first and also to the Greek; that Christ "died for our sins" (the "our" being those to whom Paul was first sent (Acts 13:26 KJV, Acts 26:17 KJV).

I didn’t notice the “of Christ” missing in the NASB and NIV, but it is in the KJV which makes sense because it brings salvation.

The gospel that Paul preached in Acts 13 is basically the same sermon Peter preached on Pentecost. If you see them as different, could you please show me how Acts 2 is not the same?

turbosixx

The undeserving, unmerited favor of God

I agree, but It appears to be more than that to me. For one thing, it is synonymous with the gospel.
Rom. 1: 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes:
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.

It also teaches us and expects something of us.
Titus 2:12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,