What is a Christian fundamentalist?

CRC_FChristian

Originally posted by PureX

Actually, "fundamentalism" is not the word I would have chosen to define the behavior that I have been describing. It seems that general usage has decided this for me. I personally would have referred to this behavior as "absolutism" rather than fundamentalism.

But it isn't really the labels that we give to this phenomenon that matters. What matters is that it's a real phenomenon, and it's on the increase, and it presents a danger to all of us. As far as I know, I have not referred to you as a fundamentalist, and I have never accused you of any of the behaviors that I define as fundamentalist. So I'm not sure why you're feeling as if you had been accused. Perhaps it's just because you have been used to referring to yourself as a "fundamentalist" and now I am using the term in a different and negative way.

But then shouldn't you have had this reaction long before I came along? After all, the news commonly refers to Islamic fundamentalists as exhibiting very bad behavior, why didn't you feel uncomfortable with their use of the term? When David Koresh and Jim Jones were referred to as religious fundamentalists, didn't that make you uncomfortable, too?

Personally, I think you SHOULD be uncomfortable. If you call yourself a religious fundamentalist, and you find yourself being lumped in with these lunatics and killers, I think you certainly should be feeling uncomfortable about it. I think you should be doing some soul-searching, too, to see where your religious fundamentalism might be in alignment with these other more heinous examples. This may be a 'wake-up call' for you.

I am not sorry that I use the term "fundamentalism" to illuminate the most grotesque and dangerous expressions of religious Christianity. I am not sorry that this makes you or other people uncomfortable. It certainly should make us all uncomfortable! This obsession with righteousness at all cost, that I am calling fundamentalism, is a dangerous phenomena that deserves very close scrutiny. Especially by those of you who are the most closely aligned with it.

Chew your nails and be frustrated all you want, but when you're done blaming me I hope you'll take some time to really consider how you may be aiding or participating in this toxic fundamentalism that you see me write about. It's greatest enablers are all you Christians who can't seem to find any fault in any way with any other supposed Christian. Seeing what's happening to Islam because of this fundamentalism should be a wake-up call to Christians, yet all I'm seeing from most other Christians are excuses and denial. Very few of you have realized that it's Christ's and your reputations that these people are destroying. And it you who are becoming their accomplices by your complacency.

If I read your post correctly then Its complete lunacy to catagorize Islamic Fundamentalist with Christian Fundamentalist...

Last I checked I dont have a bomb strapped to my laptop...so no one on here has to beware :)

If my analogy of your post is incorrect then please ignore...

When I see people who claim to be Christian think, act, dress like the world these are the people that damage the reputation of Christ...People laugh behind the backs of those who claim to be Christians yet live by the worlds standards...the word hypocrite comes to their minds...If you dont believe then just ask a few non believers what they think of wordly Christians...I have...and not one person that I've asked this question refutes my position...

BChristianK

PureX said:
What I'm saying is that no matter how full my grasp of the universe is, the universe remains more complex then I am able to grasp. Therefore, the complexity of the universe appears to me to be infinite, as I experience it, though it may well not actually be infinite.
and
But how it looks to me is how I am experiencing it. How could we see something one way and experience it another way?

Right, I think you cleared up that misunderstanding last post, you experience the universe as more complex than you can fully grasp…..

You said:
In this case the observation is that the universe is complex. We can verify this observation easily, by simply attempting to take the universe apart. The more parts we generate, the more parts there will be yet to be removed. Does this mean that the number of parts is infinite? It's impossible to say, of course, because we are not capable of dismanteling the whole universe to find out. But to us, it would appear (as we experience it) that the number of parts are infinite. Yet our experience of 'infinity' isn't actual infinity, and our assumption of infinity (if we so assume) isn't an established truth.
So it appears infinite despite your inability to prove that it is, in fact infinite.
Ok…

Now you say in response to me..
quote:
Originally posted by BChristianK I’m not a math whiz, never will be. I’m not going to be able to solve any “good will hunting” math equations in my lifetime. But I can look at those equations, apprehend their complexity, and yet still recognize some simple, recognizable, simple elements within the equation. I know how to calculate a square root. Can I assume that whatever happens in the calculations of the equation that the result will be built upon that element of the equation and not contradictory of that part of the equation?

Absolutely…

That is all that Fundamentalists are claiming when they point to absolute truths. Not that we know everything about everything, nor that world isn’t complex, but that within that complexity there are some truths that we can observe and believe as true in the midst of that complexity.
But what these fundamentalists keep ignoring, and even fighting tooth and nail against, is the basic fact that their "equation" only adds up "absolutely" in their minds. And thus it is not an intrinsic part of the reality that the rest of us experience (unless we have accepted their intellectual "equation" as our reality, too). They keep insisting that because 2 + 2 = 4 is an absolute truth in their own minds, that it must be an absolute truth in my mind, in everyone else's minds, and in reality, too. But it's NOT.
We have been over this argument PureX, and you have been unable to show me how 1+1 doesn’t equal 2. Duder tried by stacking velocities and multiplying 1 by a variable but even if I were to take that attempt as true, I can also make the move of specificity to absolutize my statement. One cent plus another cent always equals 2 cents. THis is an easily understood and applied categorical, objective truth. The fact that you would deny this shows that your argument is problematic.

And the more other people try to tell them that it's not, the more angry, antagonistic, belligerent, and even violent they become. And they behave this way because it's of the utmost importance to them that they maintain the belief that the "equations" in their minds are "real". It's so important that over the years they have often committed murder, and torture, and all kinds of terrible crimes in their efforts at maintaining this proposition. And when I converse with them on line, here, I still find them using any and all means possible to dismiss and discredit any other concept of reality.
Huh? You can go on believing that one cent plus another equals something other than 2 cents. We might laugh occasionally and look kinda funny at you when you try to make change, but I think you are being innacurate in suggesting that Christian fundamentalists have become belligerent or violent. As a general rule, we fundy’s are a relatively harmless lot. And that is where your argument degenerates into a hasty generalization.

Some Muslim fundamentalist factions fly airplanes into buildings, Christian fundamentalists don’t. You might not like the religious right, or the TV shows they broadcast, or the radio programs they have or the books they write. You might want them to focus on their own Darn family But by and large, the Christian fundamentalist movement has used peaceful means to accomplish its aims.

Sure, there is the occasional kook who bombs an abortion clinic, but you and I both know that this is the outlier and not the representative. You can tell this by how Christian Fundamentalists, as a whole, reject such behavior as unacceptable. This stands in contrast to the confirmation and encouragement you get from Muslim fundamentalist groups on acts of terrorism.

All this to say, your argument breaks down at the point of specific application. You may want all fundamentalists groups to employ the same violent methods, for if they did, you would have reason for your accusations. There would be no difference between the heinous actions of extreme Muslim fundamentalists and the actions of Christian fundamentalists. However, not all fundamentalist groups employ the same methods, encourage the same methods, or prescribe the same methods, and that is why your argument, eloquent as it may be, is still a hasty generalization.

You said:
THIS is fundamentalism. This battle with truth, with reality, with science, with other religions, with anyone and anything that dares to contradict the blind insistence that the equations that are "absolutely true" in the fundamentalist's minds ARE THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
Your arguments are circular when you claim that fundamentalism battles with reality, truth, science, etc…

The fundamentalist claims that they are harmonious with reality, truth, science, etc…..

You’ll have to prove that the fundy’s are wrong before you can cast these stones and as of yet, you haven’t convinced me that you have won those points…

Now you say
quote:
Originally posted by BChristianK There’s no denying that fundamentalists often have disagreements over doctrinal issues. But if you put a professing non-fundamentalist and a fundamentalist in a room alone, they will also fight with each other about who is “right” and who is “wrong.”

Actually, no. To fundamentalists it always looks this way, because they are at war with ALL other views of truth and reality. But for most people, being "right" is not nearly so much of a priority. What happens is that the fundi and the non-fundi begin a conversation, and as soon as the non-fundi says something that dares to contradict the fundi's concept of truth and reality, the fundi feels he is being "attacked", because to him there can only be one right view of anything. But the other fellow may be a relativist. To him there are lots of "right" views, even some that contradict. So he was simply expressing his own opinion in the conversation. He wasn't "attacking" the fundi at all.
First of all, it has been my experience that the reverse happens. The “relativist” gets their feathers in a ruffle the moment the fundy asks them to substantiate their worldview. There is some statement analogous to “how dare you insinuate that I am wrong and you are right, you narrow minded fundy!”

Most fundis, especially on this site, are willing to dialog and debate all sorts of things without getting their feelin’s hurt..

Second, fundis don’t consider themselves at war with all other worldviews, they simply vocalize what they observe. And what they observe is that there are incompatible worldviews. They choose, to the exclusion of the other worldviews, based on the evidence. And they urge others to do the same. Many relativists refuse to even consider the pink elephant in the room. They won't admit that worldviews are incompatible regardless of how self evident this truth really is. They are so worried that the Buddhist or the Hindu or the Wiccan might get their feelin’s hurt that they refuse to see that not everyone can be right. So when the conversation gets flooded with the precepts of contradicting worldviews, they scratch their goatee’s, say, “Hmmmm” in a thoughtful tone, and take a sip of their white chocolate mochas.

Now the “narrow minded fundis” just stand up and say what it evident, “we can’t all be right.” Then quickly sip their black coffee and wait for the angry mob of relativists, Buddhists, Hindus and Wiccans to crossly tell them how terrible and intolerant they are for not to acquiescing to other's rights to be agreed with.

And don’t be fooled, you know that that this is what is meant when they say, “its true for you but its not true for me.” You and I both know that really means, "we have a right for you to agree with us."

I understand that this is how life appears to you, but it's not true. We do disagree, but not about what's right or wrong so much as about my right to be right, too. That's what fundamentalists can't ever really accept.

Everyone has a right to be right?

No, we don’t buy that. We don’t because, for one, it is selectively applied. It is ok for new age philosophy to be “right” or Buddhism to be “right”, or relativism to be “right,” and it is just fine for them to share why they think they are right, and it is likewise acceptable for them to persuade others to entertain thier worldviews. But the moment the exclusivity of the Christian message becomes “right for me,” and I become equally active explaining why I think I am correct, and persuading others to consider Christianity I am labeled “intolerant.”

It is the fundamental hypocrisy of the “right to be right” principle. The real statement is, “you fundi’s have no right to be right, you should shut up about what you think is right and capitulate to my right to be right.”

No, you are correct, we can’t really accept that. And though it might be a shock to you, the reason we can’t accept it is because no one has the right to be right. This, "right to be right" notion is the perhaps the most abusive ontological principle ever devised.

In never, never land, lolly-pops might materialize into existence at the wishes of a sugarplum fairy but in the world that we really live in, things exist or they don’t regardless of a persons claimed right for it to be otherwise. Some things are true or they are not, some things are right or wrong. People don’t have the right to wish things into existence. To think this is foolish. And, based on these facts, no one should beholden to entertain another’s worldview without scrutiny.

The concept that people have the right to be right assumes that if someone claims there are unicorns and they worship them, we are all beholden to entertain that possibility that there really are unicorns worthy of our worship, and we must entertain this without reservation. No matter how preposterous a proposition it is, we must always allow them to make these claims without criticism. To openly criticize, or even to doubt is to be intolerant, unless of course the criticism is directed at the fundi Christian, then such criticism is a righteous voicing of opinion.

This crazy idea that everyone has the right to be right completely destroys rational thought. It makes the child learning their multiplication tables right no matter what answer they give.

Finally you say:
Some ideologies do invite fundamentalism, while others tend to discourage it, I agree. Christianity and Islam both invite fundamentalism because both religious ideologies are essentially elitist, and elitism does invite and encourage fundamentalism.
Elitism is the wrong word. Both faiths are exclusivistic. If all worldviews that are exclusivistic are elitist then relativists are elitist for their worldview is equally exclusivistic. A relativist must, by virtue of accepting the principle that multiple roads lead to salvation, exclude the claims of religions that teach that only one road leads to salvation.

I understand, it is much easier to vilify Christians if you can call them elitist. That straw man is much easier to push down. And the relativist certainly couldn’t admit that they share the same tendency because that would equalize the standing and eliminate the high ground from which accusations of intolerance are hurled.

Hopefully you will one day see the hypocrisy this presents…

Grace and Peace

Last edited:

Mr. 5020

Re: What is a Christian fundamentalist?

Originally posted by Knight

How do you define a Christian fundamentalist?

What do Christian fundamentalists believe? What are the earmarks of a Christian fundamentalist in your opinion?

In other words...
If you had to explain what a Christian fundamentalist is to someone who didn't know, what would you tell them?

I would say, "Here is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Read it."

Flipper

BChristianK:

We have been over this argument PureX, and you have been unable to show me how 1+1 doesn’t equal 2. Duder tried by stacking velocities and multiplying 1 by a variable but even if I were to take that attempt as true, I can also make the move of specificity to absolutize my statement. One cent plus another cent always equals 2 cents. THis is an easily understood and applied categorical, objective truth. The fact that you would deny this shows that your argument is problematic.

It's convenient to think so, and behave as if it were that way. But, once again, reality may be more slippery than a neo-platonist absolutist might like..

Allow me to quote extensively from an intriguing interview with the mathematician Gregory Chaitin.

"...Einstein has a very interesting remark in his intellectual autobiography, I think he calls it his epitaph. And that remark is, I think it goes something like this: even the positive integers, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... are clearly a free invention of the human mind, invented because they help us to organize our sense impressions. So if that's true, there is no necessity... the positive integers are not a necessary tool of thought. If they are a free creation, we're free to make modifications, if it helps us to organize our mathematical experiences. And I think that we should feel more free to do that.

My work does suggest that mathematical questions which escape our power are common, they are not unusual. The question is, are these interesting mathematical questions or not, are they natural or not?

There's also a remark, by the way, of Gödel's which I think also goes in the same direction that I'm talking about. Now Gödel has a completely different view than Einstein. Einstein is an empiricist, he's a scientist, he believes in the physical world, right, that mathematics is all invented. Gödel believes that mathematics exists, that mathematical reality is just as real as physical reality. And he believes we observe, we discover mathematical truths, we don't invent them. We don't invent mathematics, we just discover it, we just observe it. And that's a very different philosophical position from Einstein. But the funny thing is that it leads Gödel to the same conclusion, to the same point that Einstein said. Because if mathematical reality is just as real, it's different, but it's just as real as physical reality, if 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... are just as real as an electron or an electromagnetic wave, then why can't we sort of use the scientific method, and if we find a new mathematical principle that helps us to organize our mathematical experience, maybe we should just add it to mathematics as a new axiom, the same way that physicists would!

Here's an interesting fact. I've gotten old enough that I'm not even sure that I believe in mathematics at all any more! I mean, not just because, you know, maybe I prefer to have a family and a more normal life. But also because I don't really believe in real numbers anymore and I don't even think I believe in positive integers anymore.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/CDMTCS/chaitin/mindship.html

To insist that it is obvious that arithmetical operations are absolute seems apparent. Nevertheless, Chaitin is implying that such a view of the integers themselves, never mind the rules of their operation, is essentially superficial and imperfect, no matter how useful it may be for us to consider them so.

But it seems that, on a deeper level, things are not as obvious as you assert. If we define something absolutely, we have automatically created something that is an abstraction from reality, not reality itself.

Flipper

Mr5020:

I would say, "Here is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Read it."

Interesting, as I often thought Lewis to be quite a distant cousin from the fundamentalist Christians I have observed. Also, indications are from his books that he accepted evolutionary theory; to my knowledge he was a theistic evolutionist for most of his life.

The christianity of C.S. Lewis and the Christianity espoused by the fundamentalists I read on this site seem to be poles apart.

Lewis always struck me as very much tempered by his early Anglicanism. Yes, I know he leaned towards Catholicism in later life, but much more towards a liberal English form.

PureX

Originally posted by CRC_FChristian If I read your post correctly then Its complete lunacy to catagorize Islamic Fundamentalist with Christian Fundamentalist...
No, my point is that fundamentalism is not a specific ideology, but an attitude toward a selected ideology. That's how there can be Islamic and Christian and even political fundamentalists. These ideologies are different, but the fundamentalist's attitude toward their chosen ideology is the same.
Originally posted by CRC_FChristian Last I checked I dont have a bomb strapped to my laptop...so no one on here has to beware.
No one starts out with bombs strapped to their back. They start out as children being taught that there is only one absolute truth and one way of life and that all others are expressions of sin, inspired by satan, etc. The illness is progressive, and tends to get progressively extremist if left unchecked. The bombs don't get strapped on until later.
Originally posted by CRC_FChristian When I see people who claim to be Christian think, act, dress like the world these are the people that damage the reputation of Christ...People laugh behind the backs of those who claim to be Christians yet live by the worlds standards...the word hypocrite comes to their minds...If you dont believe then just ask a few non believers what they think of wordly Christians...I have...and not one person that I've asked this question refutes my position...
Non-Christians are not concerned about the "worldliness" of Christians. Non-Christians are concerned about zealots and lunatics who use the name of God to justify their own insane desire to judge, condemn, and to punish other human beings. When we look at history, it's not the "worldly" Christians that commit the torture and murder and systemic oppression; it's the "fundamentalists". It's the zealots - the extremists. I think you're focussing on the wrong evil. The evil that the rest of the world is worrying about is the evil in YOU, not the evil in those other "worldy Christians".

PureX

Originally posted by BChristianK We have been over this argument PureX, and you have been unable to show me how 1+1 doesn’t equal 2. Duder tried by stacking velocities and multiplying 1 by a variable but even if I were to take that attempt as true, I can also make the move of specificity to absolutize my statement. One cent plus another cent always equals 2 cents. THis is an easily understood and applied categorical, objective truth. The fact that you would deny this shows that your argument is problematic.
I have explained this to you many times, now, over several threads, but you simply refuse to acknowledge the explanation. The concept of absolute equality is an ideal that exists only in your mind. In the real world, equality is a relative application. No two anythings are absolutely equal to any two anything elses. We simply ignore the inequity for the sake of function. 2 + 2 = 4 only because we ignore the relative inequality of the items we are applying the formula to.

It's the same with any absolute ideal. It can exist as an absolute in our minds, but when we apply it to reality it becomes only relatively true. And you are proving my point about fundamentalism through your dogged refusal to acknowledge this simple fact. You have fought tooth and nail with me to deny it, and you have used all sorts of cheap intellectual tricks, and straw arguments, and red herrings to dismiss by "any means necessary" my opposing relativist view regarding the verifiability of an absolute.

Of course you are not strapping on any bombs, but the pattern of your response is the same as fundamentalists the world over. They MUST be right. Being right and protecting that righteousness is always their first priority. Only the degree of radicalization and extremism varries. I think you should think about this very carefully.
Originally posted by CRC_FChristian Some Muslim fundamentalist factions fly airplanes into buildings, Christian fundamentalists don’t.
Christian fundamentalists have done their share of killing in the past, and they will do so again if they manage to gain that power. I was watching a story on Dateline the other day about four fundamentalist Christians in Texas who somehow managed to get themselves appointed to investigate some spurious allegations of satanic ritual murder, and before the state's attourney could finally get there and put a stop to them, they had half the town locked up in prison based on manufactured evidence that they had tortured out of children. They were just having themselves a high old time huntin' down the demons. And anyone who dared to object to their little orgy of "divine justice" would soon find themselves among the accused. They ruined many people's lives and of course have not even appologized for it. In fact I'm sure that to this day they still think they were RIGHT, because fundamentalists are always absolutely right no matter what. And that's exactly why they are so dangerous.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Read about any "christian fundamentalist" mothers who murdered their children in cold blood to "save them from hell?"

Seems like we are getting a few of these each year.

BcK loves this subject.

On Fire

Originally posted by smaller

Read about any "christian fundamentalist" mothers who murdered their children in cold blood to "save them from hell?"

BcK loves this subject.

And just how man NON-Christian fundamentalists murder their children every year?

:zakath: - is that you?

beanieboy

Originally posted by CRC_FChristian

Is America spiritually better off today than say 50 or more years ago ?
Is America still a spiritual beacon in todays world?
Is America closer to God today than ever before?
Does America have better moralistic values as whole than ever before?

In the 1950s, Black people couldn't vote or eat in the same restaurant as White People. There was a witch hunt with McCarthyism, black listing people as Communists.

Does America have better moralistic values?
Than when we had slavery?
Than when we thought hanging black people from trees was ok?

My grandparents freely used words like Spook, Darkey and Coon.
What does that say about the way they loved their neighbor?

I think that we are constantly moving forward. It just depends on how you want to look at it.

Are there bad things in the world? Surely. But you can do things to change that.

Are there good things in the world. Surely. And you should acknowledge them.

So often, I see people on TOL focusing only on the bad. This bad thing happened. This bad thing happened... It's like they search the world for evil, so they can complain about it, throw their hands up and say, "Come quickly, lawwwwdy Jesus..."

"Yeah. So what are you going to do about it???" Do The Right Thing.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
There is certainly no shortage of MURDERERS in this world eh?

The "doctrine of eternal torture" makes MURDERERS look like SAINTS via comparison.

BChristianK

Flipper,

I don't see how your quote somehow makes 3 pennies two cents.. On a deeper level, 2 cents is still two cents.

My work does suggest that mathematical questions which escape our power are common, they are not unusual. The question is, are these interesting mathematical questions or not, are they natural or not?
which means what? That one penny plus another penny no longer equal 2 pennies? The abstraction has stopped quite short of denying this truth.

Einstein is an empiricist, he's a scientist, he believes in the physical world, right, that mathematics is all invented. Gödel believes that mathematics exists, that mathematical reality is just as real as physical reality. And he believes we observe, we discover mathematical truths, we don't invent them.
Whether the unit being analyzed mathematically is a real, empirical unit or a fabricated one means nothing at this point.
Two pennies, whether they are real or fabricated still equal two cents.

Here's an interesting fact. I've gotten old enough that I'm not even sure that I believe in mathematics at all any more! I mean, not just because, you know, maybe I prefer to have a family and a more normal life. But also because I don't really believe in real numbers anymore and I don't even think I believe in positive integers anymore.
So when he pays for his coffee and it comes out the 3.02, Starbuck is expensive :D, its ok if he gives them less than three dollar bills and two pennies because he doesn't believe in integers? He would be ok if he gave the cashier a 5 and the cashier return $1.10 in change because the cashier doesn’t believe in integers anymore either?

Probably not. Theory is tested by practice and we practice one penny plus another one equals 2. Every time, all the time….

Next time you do your taxes, just write on their that you don't believe in integers anymore, see if that floats with the IRS,,,

Note: Be prepared to pull those receipts out of the shoebox because the audit will be forthcoming..

Your quote doesn't refute that 2 pennies added together equal 2 cents...

Grace and Peace

BChristianK

Originally posted by smaller

BcK loves this subject.

Hey Smaller, its funny seeing you in here, your a one issue kinda guy. Since we aren't discussing universalism you probably won't have much to say.....

Grace and Peace

BChristianK

PureX said:
I have explained this to you many times, now, over several threads, but you simply refuse to acknowledge the explanation. The concept of absolute equality is an ideal that exists only in your mind. In the real world, equality is a relative application. No two anything’s are absolutely equal to any two anything else’s.
Yes, you keep reiterating this as if repeating it like a mantra is tantamount to proving it. You have been unable to show us an example where this is the case, you just state that it is. I’m sorry PureX but I can’t take your claims seriously until you provide some evidence.

We are all looking for one example from you that shows that 2 integer something’s plus two of the same somethings, with no intervening multipliers equals something other than four something’s.

I’ve got a world of evidence to show that they do so just one example from you would be nice in lieu of your blanket assertions to the contrary.

We simply ignore the inequity for the sake of function. 2 + 2 = 4 only because we ignore the relative inequality of the items we are applying the formula to.
What is it we ignore, if you are sure we ignore it you can give us an example that demonstrates your point, right?

It's the same with any absolute ideal. It can exist as an absolute in our minds, but when we apply it to reality it becomes only relatively true. And you are proving my point about fundamentalism through your dogged refusal to acknowledge this simple fact. You have fought tooth and nail with me to deny it, and you have used all sorts of cheap intellectual tricks, and straw arguments, and red herrings to dismiss by "any means necessary" my opposing relativist view regarding the verifiability of an absolute.
First, its not a simple truth, and until you can demonstrate it we are foolish to believe you. Second, who’s fighting, I thought we were discussing? Thirdly, I think I’ve make a pretty honest effort to make sure I am debating the true substance of what you say as apposed to a straw man or a red herring. I think you need to own up to your own straw men in regards to the attitudes you superimpose on fundamentalism. Most of them are just false.

Of course you are not strapping on any bombs, but the pattern of your response is the same as fundamentalists the world over.
Describe that pattern, I thought strapping on the bombs was the pattern we should be concerned with? Don’t you agree?

They MUST be right. Being right and protecting that righteousness is always their first priority.
Straw man. Not true. That didn't take long...

Only the degree of radicalization and extremism varies. I think you should think about this very carefully.
Well if we don’t define radicalism by the extremity of action taken then I don’t know how to define it. I think you should think about your claim here carefully. You are claiming that the only thing that separates us from the extremists who are willing to strap bombs to their chests and blow up pizza parlors is the degree to which we are willing to defend what we believe to be true. You claim we both actually think we are correct in our worldview but we aren’t willing to kill anyone to advance it, is that what you are saying?

Ok So what? By the way, that’s the same thing that separates you from the radical extremist that blows up pizza parlors, unless of course the difference is that they act inappropriately from the sincerity of their beliefs but you act appropriately from the insincerity of your beliefs.
Do you think the fundamental difference is that they actually believe that they are correct in their beliefs but you don’t suffer from that malady, you really don’t believe you are right? They actually believe what they claim but you don’t really believe what you claim?

Are you telling me that you differ from them in that you really don’t believe the words that come out of your mouth? Are you saying that the difference between them and you is that they believe what they say but you don’t really believe what you say? If that’s the case then they must question their actions and you must deal with your hypocrisy.
You said:
Christian fundamentalists have done their share of killing in the past, and they will do so again if they manage to gain that power.
I was watching a story on Dateline the other day about four fundamentalist Christians in Texas who somehow managed to get themselves appointed to investigate some spurious allegations of satanic ritual murder, and before the state's attorney could finally get there and put a stop to them, they had half the town locked up in prison based on manufactured evidence that they had tortured out of children. They were just having themselves a high old time huntin' down the demons. And anyone who dared to object to their little orgy of "divine justice" would soon find themselves among the accused. They ruined many people's lives and of course have not even apologized for it. In fact I'm sure that to this day they still think they were RIGHT, because fundamentalists are always absolutely right no matter what. And that's exactly why they are so dangerous.

And this proves what PureX? That every fundamentalist everywhere is out on a witch hunt?

You see, your measure is corrupt if you look for this stuff to happen. If You take great delight in finding nuggets of news that put fundamentalists in a poor light, but you don’t look for the good that fundamentalists bring to the table either then you telegraph your bias. Like the fact that fundamentalists, those jerks, actively involve themselves in finding adoptive homes for orphaned or unwanted children. Fundamentalists, are active participants in fundraising for providing monetary assistance to children in third world countries so that they can attend school. Fundamentalists are among the largest population of individuals who contribute to habitat for humanity projects. But that’s not as sensational and wouldn’t boost Dateline’s ratings much. And it wouldn’t fuel anti-fundamentalist hatred very well.

You see PureX, I don’t need to excuse their behavior. If what you have provided for us here is an accurate portrayal of the facts, then they were out of line. They were wrong. There’s no P.R. machine at work for fundis who flub up. But the opposite doesn’t appear to be true. There are a host of people just searching for reasons to fuel their arguments that fundis are bad, bad people who can’t be trusted..

Unfortunately, those people don’t see their own hatred, their own irrational need to be more righteous than the fundi’s, the don't bother confronting their own hypocrisy.

I hope you won’t buy into being one of those people..

Grace and Peace

Last edited:

smaller

BANNED
Banned
I think we have found many issues in "christianity" with serious holes BcK. You have presented many very fine examples....

I also see most of these "issues" as a desire within CHRISTIANS in particular to JUSTIFY THEMSELVES and CONDEMN others...sometimes ETERNALLY...but even within their own reeks, I mean RANKS, there is LITTLE agreement...if ANY...

The over riding factor in "christianity" is THE JUDGMENT OF OTHERS...behind SELF JUSTIFICATION and SELF righteousness...

and OF COURSE they, like you, certainly don't like to have these OBVIOUS GAFFEs exposed....

it ruins their little game....messes up the "system."

PureX

Originally posted by BChristianK Yes, you keep reiterating this as if repeating it like a mantra is tantamount to proving it.
It is self-evident that no two things are absolutely identical. And as they are not absolutely identical, they can't be absolutely equal, either. They can only be deemed equal relative to the tolerance of variation that we are applying to each instance. If you refuse to accept this then you are being willfully irrational and there isn't really any way I can overcome that for you. There is no "proof" or reason that I can offer that can overcome the willful denial of proof and reason.
Originally posted by BChristianK You have been unable to show us an example where this is the case, you just state that it is.
This is the case in EVERY example. You just don't want to recognize it. There are no examples of any two things that are absolutely identical, and therefor there are no examples of any two things that are absolutely "equal", either. Absoluteness is an ideal that we can't verify through reality.
Originally posted by BChristianK We are all looking for one example from you that shows that 2 integer something’s plus two of the same somethings, with no intervening multipliers equals something other than four something’s.
No two pennies are exacly alike, and are therefor not exacly equal. We simply accept them as equal within a the parameters of variability that we apply to pennies. The pennies are only equal relative to the parameters of variability that we apply to them. They are not absolutely equal, they are only relatively equal. And this is true of any other two objects you care to name.
Originally posted by BChristianK I’ve got a world of evidence to show that they do so just one example from you would be nice in lieu of your blanket assertions to the contrary.
You don't have any evidence at all of any two things being absolutely equal. The only place absolute equality exists that you can know of, is in your mind.
Originally posted by BChristianK I think I’ve made a pretty honest effort to make sure I am debating the true substance of what you say as apposed to a straw man or a red herring.
You aren't debating the substance of what I'm saying, you're just presenting distractions, mostly.
Originally posted by BChristianK Well if we don’t define radicalism by the extremity of action taken then I don’t know how to define it.
But I wasn't discussing radicalism, I was discussing fundamentalism. And I was not basing my definition of fundamentalism on behavior, I was basing it on the attitude of the fundamentalist toward doctrine rather than the substance of the doctrines they hold. Not all fundamentalists are radicals, and not all are violent. But by my definition of fundamentalism, they all have an obsession with the idea of their own righteousness that can easily become radically extreme and/or violent.
Originally posted by BChristianK You are claiming that the only thing that separates us from the extremists who are willing to strap bombs to their chests and blow up pizza parlors is the degree to which we are willing to defend what we believe to be true. You claim we both actually think we are correct in our worldview but we aren’t willing to kill anyone to advance it, is that what you are saying?
There is a difference between believing that we are right about something, and believing that we are absolutely right about something. The difference is that in the first case we understand that there is always the possibility that even though we think we are right, that we are actually wrong. But in the second case we are denying ANY possibility that we can be wrong. And this is the attitude I define as "fundamentalism". It's this attitude that is unable to govern itself or the extremism of it's reactions because it can't perceive itself as ever being wrong about anything. The reason fundamentalism tends to degererate into violence and destruction if left unchecked is that it's not capable of checking itself. If I believe that I'm ALWAYS right, then I can do anything and still perceive myself as being right. This is the danger of fundamentalism.
Originally posted by BChristianK Are you telling me that you differ from them in that you really don’t believe the words that come out of your mouth? Are you saying that the difference between them and you is that they believe what they say but you don’t really believe what you say?
The difference is that I understand that I can be wrong even when I think I'm right. This is exactly the characteristic that fundamentalists lack. If you lack this ability, you are a fundamentalist, if you possess this ability, you are not a fundamentalist. That is what I am saying.

Last edited:

CRC_FChristian

It is self-evident that no two things are absolutely identical. And as they are not absolutely identical, they can't be absolutely equal, either. They can only be deemed equal relative to the tolerance of variation that we are applying to each instance. If you refuse to accept this then you are being willfully irrational and there isn't really any way I can overcome that for you. There is no "proof" or reason that I can offer that can overcome the willful denial of proof and reason.
This is the case in EVERY example. You just don't want to recognize it. There are no examples of any two things that are absolutely identical, and therefor there are no examples of any two things that are absolutely "equal", either. Absoluteness is an ideal that we can't verify through reality.
No two pennies are exacly alike, and are therefor not exacly equal. We simply accept them as equal within a the parameters of variability that we apply to pennies. The pennies are only equal relative to the parameters of variability that we apply to them. They are not absolutely equal, they are only relatively equal. And this is true of any other two objects you care to name.
You don't have any evidence at all of any two things being absolutely equal. The only place absolute equality exists that you can know of, is in your mind.
You aren't debating the substance of what I'm saying, you're just presenting distractions, mostly.
But I wasn't discussing radicalism, I was discussing fundamentalism. And I was not basing my definition of fundamentalism on behavior, I was basing it on the attitude of the fundamentalist toward doctrine rather than the substance of the doctrines they hold. Not all fundamentalists are radicals, and not all are violent. But by my definition of fundamentalism, they all have an obsession with the idea of their own righteousness that can easily become radically extreme and/or violent.
There is a difference between believing that we are right about something, and believing that we are absolutely right about something. The difference is that in the first case we understand that there is always the possibility that even though we think we are right, that we are actually wrong. But in the second case we are denying ANY possibility that we can be wrong. And this is the attitude I define as "fundamentalism". It's this attitude that is unable to govern itself or the extremism of it's reactions because it can't perceive itself as ever being wrong about anything. The reason fundamentalism tends to degererate into violence and destruction if left unchecked is that it's not capable of checking itself. If I believe that I'm ALWAYS right, then I can do anything and still perceive myself as being right. This is the danger of fundamentalism.
The difference is that I understand that I can be wrong even when I think I'm right. This is exactly the characteristic that fundamentalists lack. If you lack this ability, you are a fundamentalist, if you possess this ability, you are not a fundamentalist. That is what I am saying.

Its a long stretch to think that any human can be completely right about everything...Only God is completely right about everything...

I certainly dont have a problem admitting when I'm wrong and I've been wrong on numerous occasions...

However, if you are alluding to that fundamentalists cant admit when they are wrong about Gods word...well...this is entirely separate context...

Of course it will be very difficult for you or anyone else who dont believe concept of there are absolutes wont be able to intelligently discuss this subject matter...

I have to agree that during Jesus day number of groups believed that they were absolutely convinced their religious convictions were 100% correct...This same group crucified the only perfect man to ever walk the face of the Earth...Matter of fact they tortured, maimed, killed a number of Christians for their belief system simply because they thought their religion was absolutely the only correct religion...

BTW, concept of ever changing absolutes based upon personal viewpoint, society....is the greatest hypocrisy on face of the earth...

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Would you admit then that this statement could also be wrong, even though you think it's right?

Resting in Him,
Clete

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
purex has a hangup with relativism but doesn't understand what relativism defines or has no argument why relativism would somehow limit what we know.

Just because we don't have absolute knowledge doesn't mean what we do know is false. We just have a limited knowledge of truth.:hammer: :dead: :dead: :grave: :grave:

PureX

Originally posted by CRC_FChristian Its a long stretch to think that any human can be completely right about everything...Only God is completely right about everything...
Fundamentalists don't have to be absolutely right about everything, but they do have to be absolutely right about the essentials of whatever ideology they have adopted. Religious fundamentalists, for example, have to be absolutely right about the nature and existence of God, often including God's will for themselves and everyone else.
Originally posted by CRC_FChristian I certainly dont have a problem admitting when I'm wrong and I've been wrong on numerous occasions...
Can you admit that you may be wrong in your belief that God exists, or that Jesus was God, or that the bible is inerrant, or that there is an "afterlife"?
Originally posted by CRC_FChristian However, if you are alluding to that fundamentalists cant admit when they are wrong about Gods word...well...this is entirely separate context...
What's seperate about it? It's exactly these ideas that are the MOST unprovable, yet it's these ideas that the fundamentalists believe they know absolutely. And it's this presumption of absolute knowledge of God that they must maintain at any cost.
Originally posted by CRC_FChristian I have to agree that during Jesus day number of groups believed that they were absolutely convinced their religious convictions were 100% correct...This same group crucified the only perfect man to ever walk the face of the Earth...Matter of fact they tortured, maimed, killed a number of Christians for their belief system simply because they thought their religion was absolutely the only correct religion...
And they will do so again if given the chance, make no mistake. If Jesus walked the Earth today, it would be the fundamentalists who shout the loudest for his crucifiction. They will be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that he is satan.