What does God's Holy Law Demand?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The only occasion in Israel when one was allowed to murder was for the avenger of the blood to get even but only before the original murder did not in time reach a city of refuge and as long as the High Priest was still alive.
Here are the verses that refer to the avenger of blood. Should not there be witnesses and a court instead of a person getting even? Murder for murder does not make sense. Now there is more than one murder.

Deuteronomy 19:6 NASB - otherwise the avenger of blood might pursue the manslayer in the heat of his anger, and overtake him, because the way is long, and take his life, though he was not deserving of death, since he had not hated him previously.

Deuteronomy 19:12 NASB - then the elders of his city shall send and take him from there and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.

Joshua 20:3 NASB - that the manslayer who kills any person unintentionally, without premeditation, may flee there, and they shall become your refuge from the avenger of blood.

Joshua 20:5 NASB - 'Now if the avenger of blood pursues him, then they shall not deliver the manslayer into his hand, because he struck his neighbor without premeditation and did not hate him beforehand.

Joshua 20:9 NASB - These were the appointed cities for all the sons of Israel and for the stranger who sojourns among them, that whoever kills any person unintentionally may flee there, and not die by the hand of the avenger of blood until he stands before the congregation.

2 Samuel 14:11 NASB - Then she said, "Please let the king remember the LORD your God, so that the avenger of blood will not continue to destroy, otherwise they will destroy my son." And he said, "As the LORD lives, not one hair of your son shall fall to the ground."

I have posted elsewhere in response.
Any thing against the Law of Moses is never okay. Never forget what Jesus said in his parable of the Riechman and Lazarus: If you never want to end up in hell-fire in the afterlife, listen to "Moses" aka the Law. That's in Luke 16:29-31.
I agree. The reason I said this is because it appeared to be implied that someone might think that if they are mad they can murder, which is false and wrong.

Trying to imitate Christ will put one under the law and bring them condemnation.

1 John 2

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Ephesians 5

1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.
2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

1 John 3

1 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

JonahofAkron

1 John 2

3And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Ephesians 5

1Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.
2And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

1 John 3

1Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
Amen, brother. Amen.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Robert Pate

Banned
It is the work of the Holy Spirit to produce Christ likeness in the life of the believer.

Trying to produce Christ likeness by the law or religion will lead to being under the law.

Robert Pate

Banned
That makes no sense. He lived according to the Torah. Any likeness of Him will include it. No one said to keep to get saved. That's your spam.

Jesus was God's law incarnate in human flesh, Romans 3:21.

As our substitute and representative he has offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his Holy Law. He did this in our name and on our behalf. We are complete in him, Colossians 2:10.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The law is only taken away for those not under the law. Those that are not under the law have the Holy Spirit who guides them to follow the law. If one does not have the Holy Spirit then they are still under the law.

1 Corinthians and Galatians point out again that we need to be in the Spirit. If we have the Holy Spirit of God then we are all in one body in Christ and not under the law.

No one is under the law for righteousness sake.

The whole unbelieving world will be judged by the moral aspects of the law but no one, not one single living soul on this planet is required to become circumcised and if they do so (as a religious ritual - I'm not making reference to social/cultural practices) Christ will profit them nothing.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Firstly, I thank you for your very Christian use of language.
Secondly, you quoted the Christian Bible- not mine. It's like a Muslim quoting the Koran to you to prove some point.

Thank you for proving my point, idiot.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Book of the Law has been taken out of the way, but not the covenant.

Be more specific.

There's every likelihood that the more specific you get, the more you'll prove your own point wrong but that actually does depend on just what your point is and what exactly you mean by covenant.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Murder is never okay.
Thanks so much for stating the obvious. Why do you suppose I chose murder and not some other sin? It precisely because there's no denying that its "never okay".

But that is not what I asked!

I will never understand why people come to a website to discuss religious topics and to debate doctrine but who are afraid to answer really straight forward questions.

So what if God said that it was alright to murder people if they make your really really mad?

Would that make murder good or would it make God evil?

Last edited:

JonahofAkron

Jesus was God's law incarnate in human flesh, Romans 3:21.

As our substitute and representative he has offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his Holy Law. He did this in our name and on our behalf. We are complete in him, Colossians 2:10.
I agree with that, but it doesn't prevent us from following Him in action.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Have you not been reading other threads? It's been made abundantly clear multiple times that Colossians 2 is talking about the debt incurred through a transaction. That's what the Greek says. Any interpretation outside of that is antinomian.

In these moments, he warns against the use of the Law by certain sects of Judaism to justify and save the Gentiles. It's the same argument that occurred in Acts 15: do the Gentiles need to be circumcised and keep the Law in order to be saved. Paul says no. Peter says no. They are saved because of faith and then are to learn Moses as he is taught in synagogue every Sabbath.

Ok.

If this is to justify your reasoning behind your your antinomianism, enjoy yourself. Before you do that, just understand that all of the commands (which are the categories that all the other commands fall into) were followed and understood in Genesis.
Fine with me. Just understand that I will still respond to error filled posts.... Even if you don't want to respond to me.

None of the verses prove anything except our unity and that the law isn't our salvation.

You are not a Christian.

By that I mean that you do not know Christ, you are not saved, you believe something - else. I don't really care to learn just what it is.

You ignore arguments and repeat your position as though that refutes the ignored arguments. You then ignore anything that resembles the plain reading of scripture and turn it into whatever is required to suit your quasi-Judaism/Messianic believe whatever you wantism.

In short, you're a waste of my time. I don't do one way discussions about Christian doctrine with people from other religions.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

God's Truth

Paul lived his life before God as a sinner. A saved sinner.

That is blasphemy against Paul. Paul did not live before God as a sinner. Paul lived as a saint.

Paul did not see himself as a sinner after Jesus saved him. Paul knew the saved were holy people

Romans 1:7 To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:

2 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God in Corinth, together with all his holy people throughout Achaia:

Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To God’s holy people in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 1:18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people,

Ephesians 3:18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,

...and many more.

I cannot find scripture where Paul calls us the sinners in Christ.

God's Truth

You are not a Christian.

By that I mean that you do not know Christ, you are not saved, you believe something - else. I don't really care to learn just what it is because I don't care.

You ignore arguments and repeat your position as though that refutes the ignored arguments. You then ignore anything that resembles the plain reading of scripture and turn it into whatever is required to suit your quasi-Judaism/Messianic believe whatever you wantism.

In short, you're a waste of my time. I don't do one way discussions about Christian doctrine with people from other religions.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Jonah, Clete has so judged himself also.

Matthew 7:2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.