Was Lazarus A 'Bum'?

marhig

I have a problem with posters who won't/can't answer what church or denomination they affiliate with. It seems like they're hiding something?
I've told you, I belong to the body of Christ, how can you have a problem with that?

I don't believe in churches and I don't attend them. We have a house meeting.

marhig

Do you have a "Testimony" of how you became a member of the Body of Christ?"
I heard the word of God and I believed, and I have complete faith in God and Christ and I am saved daily by the grace of God through Jesus Christ by the power of the holy spirit.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

marhig

The context spoken here is an unwillingness to work- work was commonly available in return for a day's wage or a night's board. People who spent their time being busybodies, mentioned in 3:11, were those who instead went around with vain priorities.

It's altogether a message to not help someone who has the ability and opportunity to help their self. It's also easy for somebody to just conclude that all the homeless and hungry people out there are not, within reason, are willing to work.
Many people are simply unwilling to help anyone but their selves, and that is the mark of worldliness.
When you see a someone on the street, how do you know if they're willing to work or not? How do you tell by looking at them what they have been through in their lives to bring them to living on the street?

I can't see that as an easy option to take, especially in the depths of winter!

marhig

1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"
I've told you the truth, I dint belong to any denomination

If you don't believe me, so be it

marhig

Are you sealed and indwelt by the Holy Spirit?
Every day, but only as I live by the will of God. If I turn away back to my flesh, then I know that God will hand me over to my reprobate ways.

I can't serve God and the lusts of my flesh it's either the way of Christ and the living God or the ways of the world!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Every day, but only as I live by the will of God. If I turn away back to my flesh, then I know that God will hand me over to my reprobate ways.

I can't serve God and the lusts of my flesh it's either the way of Christ and the living God or the ways of the world!

Then, you're a "WORKER" and not a "Faither."

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I tend to agree with you on that.

Discipleships even today follow the Thessalonians very well- they do non-profit work to maintain their selves, and only accept charity from other Christian organizations. They keep their self entirety separate from secular aid and influence, and point others in that direction if they are unwilling to be obedient.

marhig

Then, you're a "WORKER" and not a "Faither."

If we walk in the spirit then as as God is working in our hearts, we will live by those works and carry them out. Thus we have the fruits of the spirit and Christ living in and through us.

Faith without works is dead, and
James said, I'll show you my faith by my works!

And why is faith without works dead? Because it's easy to say we have faith. But if we have true faith in God and Christ then we will obey them and live it out and live by the will of God. We will not only hearers of the word, but we will also be doers of the word.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If we walk in the spirit then as as God is working in our hearts, we will live by those works and carry them out. Thus we have the fruits of the spirit and Christ living in and through us.

Faith without works is dead, and
James said, I'll show you my faith by my works!

And why is faith without works dead? Because it's easy to say we have faith. But if we have true faith in God and Christ then we will obey them and live it out and live by the will of God. We will not only hearers of the word, but we will also be doers of the word.

James was written to the twelve tribes of Israel.

marhig

James was written to the twelve tribes of Israel.
So you say, but I believe in Jesus Christ and all his apostles who speak the word of God.

I don't believe only Paul.

If we have true faith, then we will follow Jesus and we will be born anew of God, through Christ by the power of the spirit and we will be producing fruits of the spirit in our lives

True faith brings love in action.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I thought the verse was about the ministers/disciples not expecting to dwell in folks homes on their travels without earning their keep.

Acts 20:34 KJV
(34) Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.

1 Thessalonians 2:9 KJV
(9) For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable unto any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God.

2 Thessalonians 3:8-10 KJV
(8) Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:
(9) Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.
(10) For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Won’t work ≠ can’t work.
:thumb:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
When you see a someone on the street, how do you know if they're willing to work or not? How do you tell by looking at them what they have been through in their lives to bring them to living on the street?

I can't see that as an easy option to take, especially in the depths of winter!

Well, you don't.

I think the passage in Thessalonians is really meant to vindicate a person who chooses not to give what they know to be false charity- if the same person comes to you everyday and asks you for money or food, and you know that the person is simply choosing not to help their self, than you aren't obligated to keep helping them.

I've been on both sides of the fence- I've been homeless, and I've helped homeless people. Even with my experience, you can't judge based off of one account with a person, and the Thessalonians didn't do that. They simply didn't enable people to keep being idle, which is the virtue behind it altogether.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally Posted by Grosnick Marowbe
I have a problem with posters who won't/can't answer what church or denomination they affiliate with. It seems like they're hiding something?

Everyone is influenced to some degree by some church, denomination or movement. The honest ones admit it. The dishonest ones hide it.

Because if they don't attend a Grosnick Marowbe/musterion approved Church, by golly they can't be a 'real' Christian.

(The boyz are turning this thread into yet another one of their "My church is better than your church!" threads).