Was Lazarus A 'Bum'?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
A Lady friend of mine I've known for 47 years, ( We went to High School together) she's a Christian and has a ministry of handing out a baggie that includes a New Testament, a $10.00 Grocery store gift card, and a tract. She'll stop on a corner while driving, open the window and hand them one of these. That way, they get feed Spiritually and physically.

I was doing my usual exercise walk years ago and came across an old man digging through a trash can for his food. He wasn't begging. I watched him find a bit of food and brush the ants off of it before eating it. I thought that was so disgusting, considering the U.S. is the richest country in the world. I had a $10.00 bill in my pocket and handed it to him. When we come across those who are too old to work or mentally/physically weak, it behooves us as Christians to help, even a little bit helps.

marhig

A Lady friend of mine I've known for 47 years, ( We went to High School together) she's a Christian and has a ministry of handing out a baggie that includes a New Testament, a $10.00 Grocery store gift card, and a tract. She'll stop on a corner while driving, open the window and hand them one of these. That way, they get feed Spiritually and physically.

I was doing my usual exercise walk years ago and came across an old man digging through a trash can for his food. He wasn't begging. I watched him find a bit of food and brush the ants off of it before eating it. I thought that was so disgusting, considering the U.S. is the richest country in the world. I had a $10.00 bill in my pocket and handed it to him. When we come across those who are too old to work or mentally/physically weak, it behooves us as Christians to help, even a little bit helps.

What about all the others that you have seen hungry in the years since?

marhig

None of your business. That's between the Lord and me.

That's true, hopefully you help when you do see those in need. I believe that those born of God would. If they saw someone hungry or cold, then those who have Christ in their hearts would help and share and give them food if they are hungry. They wouldn't quiz them or say he's just a bum I'm not giving.

I believe that this is what Jesus was like.

Remember the parable of the good Samaritan. Jesus never said to judge, just help.

Luke 10

And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him,Go, and do thou likewise.

The good Samaritan could easily have said, he's a bum, or look he's been fighting. Yet he didn't, he helped, even though Gods people, the priest and the Levite walked past. If we walk in the spirit, then we won't walk past.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
That's true, hopefully you help when you do see those in need. I believe that those born of God would. If they saw someone hungry or cold, then those who have Christ in their hearts would help and share and give them food if they are hungry. They wouldn't quiz them or say he's just a bum I'm not giving.

I believe that this is what Jesus was like.

Remember the parable of the good Samaritan. Jesus never said to judge, just help.

Luke 10

And Jesus answering said,*A certain*man*went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded*him, and departed, leaving*him*half dead. And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked*on him, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion*on him, And went to*him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave*them*to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him,*Go, and do thou likewise.

The good Samaritan could easily have said, he's a bum, or look he's been fighting. Yet he didn't, he helped, even though Gods people, the priest and the Levite walked past. If we walk in the spirit, then we won't walk past.

Is there a reason you won't tell what church you attend?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat."

The context spoken here is an unwillingness to work- work was commonly available in return for a day's wage or a night's board. People who spent their time being busybodies, mentioned in 3:11, were those who instead went around with vain priorities.

It's altogether a message to not help someone who has the ability and opportunity to help their self. It's also easy for somebody to just conclude that all the homeless and hungry people out there are not willing to work.

Many people are simply unwilling to help anyone but their selves, and that is the mark of worldliness.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The context spoken here is an unwillingness to work- work was commonly available in return for a day's wage or a night's board. People who spent their time being busybodies, mentioned in 3:11, were those who instead went around with vain priorities.

It's altogether a message to not help someone who has the ability and opportunity to help their self. It's also easy for somebody to just conclude that all the homeless and hungry people out there are not, within reason, are willing to work.
Many people are simply unwilling to help anyone but their selves, and that is the mark of worldliness.

I tend to agree with you on that.