Trump revealed highly classified intel in Oval Office meeting with Russians

jeffblue101

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I read the entire report with the aid of google translate and couldn't find a single indication of a bragging tone

:chuckle:

This is what Trump's base is reduced to - desperate damage control.

You know, McMaster already corroborated the WaPo story, and yes... Tass is making sure everyone knows it. The Russian machine is in full swing.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Trump can’t be trusted with sensitive information — and now the world knows

The administration’s attempts to defend the leak only underlined the continuing chaos in the White House. When the Post article first appeared Monday, senior administration officials issued denials: National security adviser H.R. McMaster and deputy adviser Dina Powell both called it “false.”Mr. Trump then undercut them by confirming on Twitter that he provided the Russians with “facts pertaining . . . to terrorism and airline flight safety,” which, he said, “I have the absolute right to do.” By midday Tuesday, Mr. McMaster found himself simultaneously arguing that he was right to call the article false and spinning the president’s leak as “appropriate.”

In fact, everything about Mr. Trump’s engagement with the Russian officials reflected the gross inadequacy of his knowledge of foreign affairs as well as the weakness of the staff and processes he has put in place to aid him. His decision to meet with the chronically dishonest Mr. Lavrov and with Mr. Kislyak, who already had several questionable contacts with senior administration officials, itself reflected poor judgement; the Obama administration had refused to give Mr. Lavrov an Oval Office meeting since 2013. As the meeting began, U.S. journalists were banned from the room, while a Russian news-agency photographer was invited in, producing embarrassing photos and raising the possibility of a security breach.

Mr. Trump’s subsequent disclosures appeared to flow from two of his deepest flaws, vanity and an obtuseness about the regime of Vladi*mir Putin. As The Post reported it, he appeared childishly boastful about his “great intel.” And as the president subsequently described it, he was hoping the Russians would respond to the leak with greater cooperation with U.S. operations against the Islamic State, as opposed to using it to undermine them.

That was a naive and dangerous conclusion, as any CIA briefer would have told the president. Unfortunately, Mr. Trump doesn’t pay much heed to intelligence professionals, even as he misuses their materials, endangers their operations and impugns their professionalism. The processes in place to ready the president for interactions with foreign leaders are shockingly attenuated: A lot of the spade work is done by his inexperienced son-in-law, Jared Kushner, while key positions at the National Security Council and State Department remain unfilled. As the president prepares for his first trip abroad later this week, including meetings with key Middle Eastern and European allies, the potential for further gaffes — and damage to key U.S. alliances — is alarmingly high.

jeffblue101

:chuckle:

You know, McMaster already corroborated the WaPo story, and yes...
show me the word for word comparison where McMaster or Trump corroborated the WaPo story

Tass is making sure everyone knows it. The Russian machine is in full swing.
how suspicious of a news organization to report the news coming from The U.S. about a meeting with one of their ambassadors. :rolleyes:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
show me the word for word comparison where McMaster or Trump corroborated the WaPo story

how suspicious of a news organization to report the news coming from The U.S. about a meeting with one of their ambassadors. :rolleyes:

It's all in the links I've given, which I highly doubt you've read in their entirety.

I understand though, why you do what you do. You have too much invested in Trump to do anything else.

I thought you might be interested in Leon Festinger, his study of a doomsday cult in the 1950s and their reactions when the world didn't end when they expected it to.

I've posted about him here before, but I don't think those posts survived the recent pruning, except for this one quote:

A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point. We have all experienced the futility of trying to change a strong conviction, especially if the convinced person has some investment in his belief. We are familiar with the variety of ingenious defenses with which people protect their convictions, managing to keep them unscathed through the most devastating attacks.

But man's resourcefulness goes beyond simply protecting a belief. Suppose an individual believes something with his whole heart; suppose further that he has a commitment to this belief, that he has taken irrevocable actions because of it; finally, suppose that he is presented with evidence, unequivocal and undeniable evidence, that his belief is wrong: what will happen? The individual will frequently emerge, not only unshaken, but even more convinced of the truth of his beliefs than ever before. Indeed, he may even show a new fervor about convincing and converting other people to his view.

Leon Festinger

Disconfirmed expectancy

Cognitive dissonance

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Maybe you'll listen to a conservative source:

The Resurgent | Erick Erickson's Home for Conservative Activists

I Know One of the Sources
By Erick Erickson | May 16, 2017, 09:49am

I tend to take these stories about the President with a grain of salt. We have seen key details of a number of salacious stories retracted within 48 hours. The media hates the President so much that they’ll run a negative story about him without very much provocation. Anti-Trump sources embedded within the administration in the career civil service, etc. will leak to the press and confirmation bias sets in.

What sets this story apart for me, at least, is that I know one of the sources. And the source is solidly supportive of President Trump, or at least has been and was during Campaign 2016. But the President will not take any internal criticism, no matter how politely it is given. He does not want advice, cannot be corrected, and is too insecure to see any constructive feedback as anything other than an attack.

So some of the sources are left with no other option but to go to the media, leak the story, and hope that the intense blowback gives the President a swift kick in the butt. Perhaps then he will recognize he screwed up. The President cares vastly more about what the press says than what his advisers say. That is a real problem and one his advisers are having to recognize and use, even if it causes messy stories to get outside the White House perimeter.

I am told that what the President did is actually far worse than what is being reported. The President does not seem to realize or appreciate that his bragging can undermine relationships with our allies and with human intelligence sources. He also does not seem to appreciate that his loose lips can get valuable assets in the field killed.

You can call these sources disloyal, traitors, or whatever you want. But please ask yourself a question — if the President, through inexperience and ignorance, is jeopardizing our national security and will not take advice or corrective action, what other means are available to get the President to listen and recognize the error of his ways?

This is a real problem and I treat this story very seriously because I know just how credible, competent, and serious — as well as seriously pro-Trump, at least one of the sources is.

Danoh

Nope, anna, not even that will get through to them.

They were like that on TOL way before Trump was ever even an issue.

When he came along: recognizing themselves "in him" they could not but conclude "the guy makes sense...is like" them.

And just like that, all that such claim they hold to was proven merely their own self-deception.

Or as the Apostle Paul once noted - of fallen Believers; by the way, let alone; false religious rightist extremists:

2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Spoiler

Maybe you'll listen to a conservative source:

The Resurgent | Erick Erickson's Home for Conservative Activists

I Know One of the Sources
By Erick Erickson | May 16, 2017, 09:49am

I tend to take these stories about the President with a grain of salt. We have seen key details of a number of salacious stories retracted within 48 hours. The media hates the President so much that they’ll run a negative story about him without very much provocation. Anti-Trump sources embedded within the administration in the career civil service, etc. will leak to the press and confirmation bias sets in.

What sets this story apart for me, at least, is that I know one of the sources. And the source is solidly supportive of President Trump, or at least has been and was during Campaign 2016. But the President will not take any internal criticism, no matter how politely it is given. He does not want advice, cannot be corrected, and is too insecure to see any constructive feedback as anything other than an attack.

So some of the sources are left with no other option but to go to the media, leak the story, and hope that the intense blowback gives the President a swift kick in the butt. Perhaps then he will recognize he screwed up. The President cares vastly more about what the press says than what his advisers say. That is a real problem and one his advisers are having to recognize and use, even if it causes messy stories to get outside the White House perimeter.

I am told that what the President did is actually far worse than what is being reported. The President does not seem to realize or appreciate that his bragging can undermine relationships with our allies and with human intelligence sources. He also does not seem to appreciate that his loose lips can get valuable assets in the field killed.

You can call these sources disloyal, traitors, or whatever you want. But please ask yourself a question — if the President, through inexperience and ignorance, is jeopardizing our national security and will not take advice or corrective action, what other means are available to get the President to listen and recognize the error of his ways?

This is a real problem and I treat this story very seriously because I know just how credible, competent, and serious — as well as seriously pro-Trump, at least one of the sources is.

glorydaz

Coming from someone as incompetent at reading a thing right as you consistently prove yourself to be: no thanks; I'll pass.

And yet you don't "pass", do you? Here you are proving, once again, you're unable to let anything go by.

drbrumley

Who leaked that Trump told the Russians about the Israeli-provided intel? And how many bugs have the Israelis planted in the White House?

WizardofOz

Who leaked that Trump told the Russians about the Israeli-provided intel? And how many bugs have the Israelis planted in the White House?

And will the Israeli intelligence community be hesitant to share similar intel with us in the future now that they know Trump doesn't know how and when to share information?

His advisors cannot tell him when to speak and when to shut up because he clearly isn't listening to anybody.

WizardofOz

Here's what we know—or at least what is not in dispute—about the Trump-Russia-ISIS-intel mess:

At last week's White House meeting with Russia's foreign minister and U.S. ambassador, Donald Trump shared classified intelligence information related to an ISIS plot to smuggle bombs onto airline flights via laptop computers. This information included the name of the city where some of the intelligence had been collected.

At least some of the information that Trump shared with Russia about the laptop threat had been collected by Israel. At least some (although apparently not all) of the information Israel gave the U.S. about the plot was so secret that it was not shared with our other closest allies, such as the U.K. and Canada. Israel had not given the U.S. permission to share the information with Russia.

..."U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the Israeli source said Mr. Trump may not have provided enough detail to the Russians to damage that source." CNN, however, reports that it obtained some of the information Trump appears to have given the Russians in March—and that at the time U.S. officials "told CNN that publishing it would endanger lives and destroy intelligence-gathering methods."

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.

It is pretty simple, really. Trump screwed up.

If he were more competent at comprehending intelligence reports, it could have been much, much worse.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It is pretty simple, really. Trump screwed up.

If he were more competent at comprehending intelligence reports, it could have been much, much worse.

It could have been worse, for sure. Tom Bossert (assistant to the president for homeland security) called the directors of the CIA and NSA to warn them about what Trump said, and had that portion of Trump’s discussion struck from internal memos and limited the transcript to a small inner circle in order to try to contain the damage.

Now why would he need to do that if the story was 'false?'

WizardofOz

It could have been worse, for sure. Tom Bossert (assistant to the president for homeland security) called the directors of the CIA and NSA to warn them about what Trump said, and had that portion of Trump’s discussion struck from internal memos and limited the transcript to a small inner circle in order to try to contain the damage.

It's like trying to control a toddler at a family party who overheard that cousin Becky is pregnant but doesn't want everyone to know.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

The President of the United States has the right to classify or declassify ANYTHING he chooses -

WizardofOz

The President of the United States has the right to classify or declassify ANYTHING he chooses -
:doh:
Do you know how stupid this sounds? You don't find it reckless of him to just blurt out anything that comes to mind, regardless of the consequence? The only saving grace of this story is that he doesn't comprehend or is too lazy to comprehend all facets of intelligence reports.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:doh:
Do you know how stupid this sounds? You don't find it reckless of him to just blurt out anything that comes to mind, regardless of the consequence? The only saving grace of this story is that he doesn't comprehend or is too lazy to comprehend all facets of intelligence reports.
No harm, no foul

WizardofOz

No harm, no foul

Take it from Breibart:

Critics fear that America’s allies will be loath to share sensitive material with US intelligence agencies if they fear the information could end up in the wrong hands. The New York Times reported the material came from Israel, and Russia has intelligence ties to the Jewish state’s arch-enemy Iran.

There were also fears that Russia could exploit the information it obtained to track the source itself and prevent it being used against their own activities in Syria.

“Leaving aside the legality issue, the longstanding custom is that no one is supposed to in any way compromise sources of information,” said Mark J. Rozell, Dean of the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University.

PJ - tell me this: how does Trump slipping this info out help America? How is he 'putting America first'?

Does it make sense how why and how this was a blunder?