toldailytopic: Women preaching from the pulpit. Is it wrong?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
What I presented was my understanding from study of the Bible. I believe it to be a Biblical model. My church only has one called out meeting a year. It isn't really Biblical either because we vote in elders. I don't believe that the members of a church are to vote in elders. I believe the Bible teaches that elders should be chosen by existing elders. At that one meeting I don't vote although the women can. I do put my hair back and wear something cloth in it. I also do that when taking communion because the elders have set that day each month.

You are an excellent example of a Christian woman---AMEN...

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
A-frickin-MEN.

This boggles my mind reading through this thread.

It's as if the men here are whining "Must. Cling. To. Ancient. Chauvinism!" in order to maintain a sense of self-worth.

Because obviously their self-worth is totally based on their ability to lord it over a woman and declare her inferior in the eyes of God.

Totally ignoring the FACT that God has placed MANY women in positions of authority over men throughout history.

Especially missionaries during the early 20th century.
Most of the greatest missionary breakthroughs of that period were made by WOMEN, in part because the men were at home fueling the industrial revolution and boring the pants off people from the pulpit.

“The matter of women preachers became a problem only when women wanted to be pastors back home, in the sometimes affluent neighborhoods that typically had churches pastured by men.”
-Tony Campolo

And somehow the world didn't explode. Shocking, I know.

We live in an age when God's spirit is more available to more people than ever before, and He is doing greater things in our country and our world than ever before.

...and some of us want to stifle that because Paul gave some very historically- and culturally-specific instructions a few thousand years ago.

I believe God is calling more women to lead because there's finally a high enough percentage of the Body of Christ (of both genders) willing to humble themselves and follow whom God has called to lead, focusing on the Spirit's presence within them moreso than on their gender.

The household argument ("If a woman can't be the head of her household, then she can't be head of the church!") is also losing its ability to retain water.

Once again, we are in a different time than the one in which Paul's instructions were written.
Neither I nor my wife claim "leadership" in our household.
We defer that position to God, and devote more time and energy to helping each other follow Him than lording a nonexistent human position of power over each other.

This arrangement is quickly becoming the majority, at least in this country.

She is much more mature than I am, even being three years younger, and 99% of the time it's just safer for me to defer to her wisdom than strike out on my own.

I was raised in the church, yet because she wasn't she possesses a much more authentic faith than I, having chosen to serve God as an ADULT rather than being indoctrinated (read: forced) to go through the motions from birth.

When our pastor asked us, during our final premarital counseling session, whom we thought was getting the short end of the stick in our marriage, we each pointed to the other.

The concept of the "Christian household" being a theocratic dictatorship is quickly going the way of the Dodo.

Christian couples are coming to God TOGETHER AS EQUALS, not one coming and dragging the other kicking and screaming.

And, we find another "liberal" thinker who disregards God's word. As well as, disrespects its truth...

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Matthew 7:21-23 states, " “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

This may apply to some of you who disregard God's word...

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
God's word the Holy Bible means what it says and says what it means. It's not to be, watered down and diluted by liberal minds that do not choose to be obedient to its message. They use the excuse, "this is the 21st century" we must change the Bible to fit our liberal ways." This is one of the signs of unbelief!!"

Buzzword

God's word the Holy Bible means what it says and says what it means. It's not to be, watered down and diluted by liberal minds that do not choose to be obedient to its message. They use the excuse, "this is the 21st century" we must change the Bible to fit our liberal ways." This is one of the signs of unbelief!!"

The fact of the matter is you worship a book (and apparently your post count on TOL).

Your god is too small.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If the Lord calls women to preach the Gospel, why are we going against that calling?
God is not contradictory. Any supposed "calling to preach" that a woman claims can easily be tested against the Scriptures and shown to be contrary to God's written word.

AMR

Buzzword

God is not contradictory. Any supposed "calling to preach" that a woman claims can easily be tested against the Scriptures and shown to be contrary to God's written word.

AMR

God is not contradictory to Himself.

He is frequently contradictory to the words men have written about Him based on their flawed understanding of Him.

God is bigger than the words we speak or write about Him.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Acts 18:24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, arrived in Ephesus. He was an eloquent speaker, well-versed in the scriptures. 18:25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and with great enthusiasm he spoke and taught accurately the facts about Jesus, although he knew only the baptism of John. 18:26 He began to speak out fearlessly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained the way of God to him more accurately.

Thats a woman pastor teaching a man right there. Pricilla was a copastor with aquila. Even if you dont agree that she was pastor, you are still seeing a woman teaching a man there in the church.
Er, no. You are confusing private communications with preaching. Not at all the same thing. Scripture does not prevent a woman from speaking privately with another man on such matters. The topic is preaching. Stick to that and you will not fall into error.

AMR

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Er, no. You are confusing private communications with preaching. Not at all the same thing. Scripture does not prevent a woman from speaking privately with another man on such matters. The topic is preaching. Stick to that and you will not fall into error.

AMR

Thank you. Amen! Another excellent post...That's what I was trying to tell her...

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Men and women back then sat on separate sides in public places, women for the first time were able to be present for spiritual teachings. As such they were disruptive calling out to their husbands on the other side - questions about the new things they were learning.

As such they were instructed of the need to be silent and ask their husbands at home so they did not continue to disrupt.

In the same chapter where its saying for them to be silent and not speak, it also talks about women praying and openly prophesying in the church.

So to state this emphatically means women cannot be active in the church is errant.

There were also female pastors and Paul ordained deaconesses.

My husband and I were talking about his last night. I have been to synagogue. They still seat men and women on opposite sides of the synagogue I attended. The early Church probably seated themselves in this fashion. Just imagine the disruption caused when the women spoke out trying to talk to their husbands.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God is not contradictory to Himself.

He is frequently contradictory to the words men have written about Him based on their flawed understanding of Him.

God is bigger than the words we speak or write about Him.
I have no idea what you mean here. If you mean to imply Holy Writ is full of error, then we must agree to disagree.

AMR

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
God can use this (Numbers 22:27-35):

751587.jpg

But not this (1 Corinthians 14:34):

VladimirGusev.jpg