toldailytopic: Women preaching from the pulpit. Is it wrong?

Guildenstern

I wasn't aware that being a preacher is a "woman's right"?
Being able to spread the word of God to nonbelievers is. Do you consider a "prophetess" a position of authority? God has given them authority over God's messages.
Oh how unfair! How unequal! Women can't go in front of a church and preach the wisdom of a god which tells women not to preach!
Oh my geez! Oh my lawd!
So detestable, destable detestable!

..detestable

That is, a woman not being able to abide something so easy to abide because of feminazi retards not knowing life is already a glass palace for them.
I do not believe in organized religion. If you believe people need to submit their freedom to an organization and outsource their thinking to a hierarchical structure, then that is your issue. I feel that both men & women should be allowed to help each other, but I do not believe God is using an organization.

If God did use an organization, then clearly the chief positions of authority would be given to men. Even in my own family, I consider myself the "head" and what I say is final - albeit I never come to a sense of finality until I have considered the opinions of my wife. In truth, however, I do not see what is wrong with a woman conducting studies or teaching. I do see a problem with a woman setting down authoritative rules however.

In terms of biology, men have larger inferior-parietal lobes, are much more in tune with their left-brain (higher performance of critical & analytical thinking, as well as spacial & mathematical ability), and are also less prone to emotional shifting (smaller limbic system). Their hormonal balance makes them more ambitious however, which can be both good & bad. All in all, we need women in society - otherwise we would be completely out-of-touch with our emotions and would be more prone to deciding things apathetically instead of empathetically.

The Berean

Being able to spread the word of God to nonbelievers is. Do you consider a "prophetess" a position of authority? God has given them authority over God's messages.
I do not believe in organized religion. If you believe people need to submit their freedom to an organization and outsource their thinking to a hierarchical structure, then that is your issue. I feel that both men & women should be allowed to help each other, but I do not believe God is using an organization.
This is a duty, not a "right". A woman can spread the Word of God without having to preach from a pulpit.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A woman doesn't have to preach from the pulpit to spread the Word. I would rather not have a woman pastor. I have been unimpressed by the female preachers I have seen.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
In terms of biology, men have larger inferior-parietal lobes, are much more in tune with their left-brain (higher performance of critical & analytical thinking, as well as spacial & mathematical ability), and are also less prone to emotional shifting (smaller limbic system).

So in other words, women are emotional and men can better analyze the Word.

2626af01_Slow-Clap.gif

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Preaching is just sharing, announcing, proclaiming, along with prayer which we are also permitted what more could any woman desire?
No.

"The priesthood of all believers," has been mishandled so as to teach that the laity is welcomed to all the responsibilities of the ordained. Such a position results in disintegration not because of a simple violation of order but because of disobedience.

Today we are being inundated with jargon-pious sounding "buzz words"; e.g., words like witness, testimony, ministry, fellowship, growth, discipling, sharing, as well as evangelizing. All of these words have been turned into "trigger words" which subtly mark the boundaries of an at attempt at a new orthodoxy. If someone questions the accepted usage, he is immediately suspect, as if the distinction between laity and clergy was a meaningless concept in Scripture. :AMR:

The Great Commission was originally given to the apostles, not to every single believer. This means that while it is admirable and encouraged for all Christians to be witnesses to Christ in their lives (and in their speech when the opportunity arises), there is a specific context in which gospel preaching enjoys a promised blessing by the Holy Spirit, and that context is the pulpit each Lord’s Day (See Romans 10:13-15, 17). It seems inconceivable in Paul’s mind that the preaching that produces faith would be done outside the context of a duly ordained minister whom the church has sent out on this holy errand. Yes, Paul did rejoice even when the gospel is preached by unworthy and self-serving men (Philippians 1:15-18), but that is far different from saying that the ordained ministry of the Word is in some way unnecessary or dispensable.

It was of the church that Jesus was speaking when he issued the promise that the gates of hell would not prevail against it, and it was of this church that Paul wrote to Timothy, calling it the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth (see Matthew 16:18; 1 Timothy 3:15). Thus, while all believers are called to faithfully glorify God by fulfilling their earthly callings, it is not incumbent upon them to also fulfill the Great Commission. That holy task is given to men set apart from worldly endeavors—men who, like Paul are separated to the gospel of God (Romans 1:1).

We find in 1 Cor 14:26, 33, 40, that everything in the church is to be done decently, in order, peacefully, and for edification. Elsewhere we read the office of elder was charged with the leadership and the governance of the church, and to do so they formed a presbyterium (1 Tim. 4:14).

There can also be no doubt that Christ founded the church and entrusted it with certain powers. After all, our Lord spoke of the church as being based on a rock such that even Hell could not prevail against it! To the church community, Christ gave offices, ministries, institutions, and gifts (see Romans 12:6 and forward, Ephesians 4:11, and 1 Cor. 12-14). Power, too, was given to the church. Power to determine what will and will not be in effect, that is what is permitted and what is prohibited, what will or will not be allowed in the kingdom of heaven established here on earth, the center of which is the church. This power (exousia), the power of the keys, was the ministry of Word and sacrament (Matthew 28:19). The ministry of Word and sacrament necessarily also implies the power to teach, govern, and to discipline.

The sacraments (the Supper and Baptism) are holy, visible, signs and seals instituted by God so that (1) He may make the believer more clearly understand and to reassure the believer of the promises and benefits of the covenant of grace; and (2) that the believer might confess and confirm their faith and love before God, the elect angels, and mankind.

From Scripture we find ordinary (and extraordinary) offices that were instituted by Christ: Mark 3:14; Luke 10:1; Acts 20:28; 1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4:11

These ordinary offices were given power for the:

1. proclamation of the gospel (Matthew 10:7; Mark 3:14; 16:15; Luke 9:2)
2. administration of the sacraments (Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:15; Luke 22:19; 1 Cor. 11:24-26)
3. feeding of the flock (John 21:15-17; Acts 20:28)
4. exercise of discipline (Matthew 18:17; 1 Cor. 5:4)
5. serving of tables (Acts 6:2)
6. right to earn a living from the gospel (Matthew 10:10; 1 Cor. 9:4 and forward; 2 Thess. 3:9; 1 Tim. 5:18)

Extraordinary power:
performing miracles (Matthew 10:1; 10:8; Mark 3:15; 16:18; John 20:23)

No person can take the honor of these unless they have been called and sent (Romans 10:15; Hebrews 5:4). These powers are for (1) building up, not for destruction, (2) the perfection of the saints, and (3) building up of the body of Christ.

For example, baptism is administered by Christ. But, in the administration of baptism, our Lord employs those whom He has charged with the distribution of the mysteries of God (1 Cor. 4:1). The testimony of the Scripture is clear in that in the New Testament baptism was administered only by those men who held offices.

Further, the teachings from Scripture about the elder and/or teaching elder are clearly directed towards men who were called, tested, examined, and laid hands upon, and sent to offer the means of grace of Word and sacrament. Folks, even our Lord was appointed to His office (Heb. 5:4-5)!

I am not denying the believer should refrain discussing their faith with others. This is not the issue. Of course we are to share our experiences of faith with others, even having a ready defense for that which we hold dear. But there is a limit on the authority each person may claim for themselves, else we have anarchy. Making disciples is not about "witnessing", "sharing testimonies", etc. In Matthew 28:19, disciples are made. How? By baptizing and teaching. This is the proper grammar of the passage.

I maintain that this view of "sharing the gospel" by any and all is not what the Great Commission is about. Rather it is about identifying the proper responsibility for the ministry of Word and sacrament and the commands contained thereto. If a person honestly believes that the Lord's commands in the Great Commission apply strictly to themselves, then they need to get busy traveling to nations, teaching, discipling, and baptizing. These are not either-or options and we cannot ignore James 3:1! ;)

For more see here.
images

AMR

BabyChristian

NO.

Women are not to be the HEAD of a church, doesn't say they can't preach or teach.

Paul speaks of Priscilla and Aquila (in that order) must have been a reason to put her name first. I assume she was either more out-going or did a better job than did her husband and teaching the Gospel or reaching people, which women are surely talented in.

I plan to do jail ministry at some time. Of course it will be all women but for some reason churches think women should teach men, as our church thinks and I see no where in the Bible that makes that statement. We all know why the women were told to not speak in those couple of churches that Paul speaks about or at least I know.