toldailytopic: What do you think of Ron Paul?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
One thing to remember is that after the swearing in the country dosen't suddenly become what the guy promised he would work towards. He may never get Government as small as he would like but he would steer in that direction.
True.

shouldn't you vote republican just to encourage the libertarians?
Good idea. Encourage Libertarians by not voting for them! :idea:

:doh:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
All politicians who are not philosopher kings are bound to be bad politicians. They're all in somebody's pocket one way or another.

Cleekster

shouldn't you vote republican just to encourage the libertarians?

Nah.....i vote for the man not the party....if i found a plain jane conservative or dems for that matter that espoused enough of my views i would consider voting for them but the commies(Progressives) have infiltrated both parties. besides most conservatives see us as radicals or so it seems.:sigh:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Nah.....i vote for the man not the party....if i found a plain jane conservative or dems for that matter that espoused enough of my views i would consider voting for them but the commies(Progressives) have infiltrated both parties. besides most conservatives see us as radicals or so it seems.:sigh:

have you noticed any libertarians running as democrats?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I respect Paul for his honesty, and willingness to say what he thinks, regardless of the people he's talking to.

Some things he'd do as president would probably make me unhappy, but I know exactly what he would do, because he's blunt as a hammer about it.

I can trust him. And who else in politics is like that?

I'll probably write him in, if he's not on the ballot.

Quincy

If the system wasn't broken and what he wants to do, could actually happen, I'd vote for him. I really like him. I have no patience or faith in government and politicians anymore though. I say abolish the whole thing and stop putting faith in wannabe rockstar polticians to fix/change things.

drbrumley

I love his economic views. I'd like to support him but his foreign policy and libertarian social views really sour me on him.

I watched a bit of that debate the other night and one of the other guys (I think Santorum) really nailed him on his states rights stance. He told Paul that the states don't have the right to do immoral things and Paul had no response.

There is alot of what Santorum said to Paul in that debate on foreign policy that was plain stupid!!!!! Ole pal blowhard Rick says:

SANTORUM: He (speaking of Paul) sees the world exactly as Barack Obama sees it, that we have to go around and apologize for the fact that we’ve gone out and exerted an influence to create freedom around the world. I don’t apologize for that. I don’t apologize for the Iranian people being free for a long time and now they’re under a mullah-ocracy…

Probably the dumbest thing he said all night. And there was a bunch of dumb things he said. Paul ONLY had 30 seconds of response. This debate requires abit more than that. I am going to assume you agree 100% with this quote above.

"He sees the world exactly as Barack Obama sees it," Thats the first LIE. Santorum is a LIAR. Is this guy serious? As Obama sees it. Really? Who started the War in Libya? Thats right, Obama. Is that something Ron Paul would have done....NO! Who continues the Bush doctrine and speaks of it in glowing terms? Not Ron Paul, but Obama. First insult to my intelligence debunked.

that we have to go around and apologize for the fact that we’ve gone out and exerted an influence to create freedom around the world. I don’t apologize for that. I don’t apologize for the Iranian people being free for a long time and now they’re under a mullah-ocracy….

First, whats funny and sad at the same time is Ron Paul never said to apologize. Secondly, is Santorum that stupid? Iran was free before 1979? Sigh, the stupidity is thick in this quote. Does the Shaw and the goon squad known as SAVAK ring any bells for you Rick? Also, Iran had one free government since it became Iran from the British Empire, and we and our crazy cousins, the Brits, overthrew it. Why, because of oil. Second insult to my intelligence debunked.

For further facts,

Iran and the West: A History of Violence among many others I can share.

And Knight, the people of Iran don't seem to have a problem with the government they selected. Paul's answer was right, Iran may want a weapon, and might one day get one. What gives us the right to make that determination for them? Everyone else has one. Pakistan, Israel, India, etc... I hate nukes. To many innocents die for what? Their government leaders? Lousy reason in my estimation.

logical1

someone accused me of being a hypocrite since i vote

and at the same time am disillusioned w/ both R and Dems. i told "lesser of two evils.."

if a person is a Rep and not disillusioned w/ the Republican party..

i say s/he isnt a Republican

My definition of a true Republican

is pro life

keeps taxes reasonable

doesn't expand governemnt

doesn't want the gov to control every aspect of our lives and make as many dependents on same as possible

belives in helping business so that business can help the poor (rather than the gov taking care of the porr, which is not really taking care of anyone... but gov employees)

according to that definition, i wonder how many Republicans are really Republicans??

not many

zoo22

I like Ron Paul a lot. As most people who like him, there's also a lot I don't like. He's never going to get a really wide Presidential vote because his ideas spread too far out in different directions, economically and socially. Someone who says say, heroin should be legalized just isn't going to get a massive support. I think most people who like him like some of his ideas but not others. It's a problem Libertarians will face for a long time. I think his state rights stance is too extreme.

I like that he's opened up political debate to different areas. But I think it's turned into chaos more than cohesiveness.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I respect Paul for his honesty, and willingness to say what he thinks, regardless of the people he's talking to.

Some things he'd do as president would probably make me unhappy, but I know exactly what he would do, because he's blunt as a hammer about it.

I can trust him. And who else in politics is like that?

I'll probably write him in, if he's not on the ballot.

That is also one of the main reasons I like Paul.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Ironically, Paul could actually win, but because he won't be controlled by the guys who bankroll the process, he hasn't got a chance of being nominated.

Buzzword

Since leaving the Democrat side of the spectrum in favor of cynical centrism, Dr. Paul's been the only politician I would even CONSIDER voting for, at any level of government.

I'd rather have an extremist state-side politician than an extremist federal-side one any day.

Dr. Paul was the first presidential candidate to be interviewed for YouTube in a college dorm room, and raised millions in online contributions alone.

Though getting up in years, I believe he speaks to the growing number of political cynics in my generation, who like me have bounced back and forth across the political spectrum for years, only to eventually conclude that the whole thing is bunk.

He's never been anything but a straight shooter regarding his policies and opinions, and has never wavered because of peer or public pressure.

...thus he will never get higher than the House, no matter how consistently he votes or how much Internet following (and funding) he gets.

zoo22

Since leaving the Democrat side of the spectrum in favor of cynical centrism, Dr. Paul's been the only politician I would even CONSIDER voting for, at any level of government.

Don't you think Paul votes for candidates at various levels?

Though getting up in years, I believe he speaks to the growing number of political cynics in my generation, who like me have bounced back and forth across the political spectrum for years, only to eventually conclude that the whole thing is bunk.

Do you think Paul thinks "the whole thing is bunk?" If so, I'd expect he'd sitting at home in his boxer shorts, maybe typing out "it's all bunk" on the interweb.

I think people use candidates like Paul in ways he wouldn't want. I don't think he'd want people to toss everything away in a cynical heap.

Buzzword

Don't you think Paul votes for candidates at various levels?
Yes, but what does that have to do with my statement?

Do you think Paul thinks "the whole thing is bunk?" If so, I'd expect he'd sitting at home in his boxer shorts, maybe typing out "it's all bunk" on the interweb.

No, but again, what does that have to do with my post?

I think people use candidates like Paul in ways he wouldn't want. I don't think he'd want people to toss everything away in a cynical heap.

Okay, you apparently seriously misunderstood my post.

I'm not saying I like Ron Paul because he EMULATES my and many of my peers' attitude toward politics.

I'm saying I like Ron Paul because I trust him in SPITE of my and many of my peers' attitude toward politics.

I still think the whole system isn't worth two farts in a burping contest, and many of my fellow mid-20's-ers feel the same way.

BUT Dr. Paul has given me hope that not everyone who participates in the American game of thrones is out to screw over the you's and me's of the world.

zoo22

Yes, but what does that have to do with my statement?

No, but again, what does that have to do with my post?

I just think that while he in many ways has come to represent a cynicism towards politics and politicians for many people (understandable, and I also happen to be one of those people), I just don't believe that he's about it all being bunk. He's in the system, working hard to change things. He's not tossing everything away.

I was disappointed in this last debate that he didn't give a straightforward answer to being asked about partisan politics and gridlocks, and how he might approach it (instead he talked about deficit and isolationism).

I wish candidates in debates would answer questions more directly, instead of answering questions they want to be asked. There ought to be some kind of "you're answering a different question" buzzer. :plain:

Okay, you apparently seriously misunderstood my post.

I'm not saying I like Ron Paul because he EMULATES my and many of my peers' attitude toward politics.

I'm saying I like Ron Paul because I trust him in SPITE of my and many of my peers' attitude toward politics.

Yes, I get that. I don't think I misunderstood. Again, I simply think that he often gets heralded as an "it's all bunk" figure, he's really very involved, in the system that folks shun. I think he'd want people to vote, whether he were a candidate or not, and personally, I consider that when I think of him.

I still think the whole system isn't worth two farts in a burping contest, and many of my fellow mid-20's-ers feel the same way.

Sure (though why single out 20-somethings?). But consider that he's in the system, isn't he? I have issues with the "he's the ONLY candidate I'd vote for, otherwise I don't care" thing... I don't think that's what he stands for. Maybe he'll be a candidate to vote for. Maybe not. But if not, I don't see it as a reason to throw everything else on the garbage heap, and I'd expect that he doesn't either.

BUT Dr. Paul has given me hope that not everyone who participates in the American game of thrones is out to screw over the you's and me's of the world.

That's great. :)