toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Hunter

. . . then I'm in good company . . . Rusha . . . Granite . . . Town Heretic . . . Squishes . . . Alwight . . . Arthur Brain . . . bybee . . . Selaphiel . . . etc . . . etc . . . etc . . . (apologies for leaving anyone out).
some of them might want to be left out
. . . unlikely . . . since we all share the opinion that having children is NOT the reason people get married . . .

. . . and . . .

. . that you are a misogynistic troll.

. . . :wave: . . .

alwight

the purpose of sex is procreation
the purpose of its pleasure is to make sure you do it
What you say here applies well to the basics of all life, and the Theory of Evolution.
However, giraffes don't get married, getting married is not part of the ToE as far as I know?
Marriage is simply a part of human culture and tradition not a basic requirement.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What you say here applies well to the basics of all life, and the Theory of Evolution.
However, giraffes don't get married, getting married is not part of the ToE as far as I know?
Marriage is simply a part of human culture and tradition not a basic requirement.

we like to think that we are better than animals
and
we like to think

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Excellent, but you reduce marriage to biological mechanics, which is utilitarian and so my comment.

You might want to reconsider your gender bias.

you reduced it to a contract between any two people

except I think you would rule out brothers
or
exactly where do you draw the line?

Silent Hunter

that is not reasonable
. . . Why not?

. . . for example . . .

. . . animals get along quite well without marriage . . .
. . . few species even bother to be monogamous . . .
. . . some males have multiple mates . . .
. . . and . . .
. . . some females have multiple suitors.

. . . often . . . only one of the parents has anything to do with raising the young.

. . . some species don't even raise their own young.

. . . :nono: . . . you don't.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you reduced it to a contract between any two people
No. I recognized that the institution, in relation to the state, is entirely that and that there is no legitimate reason to discriminate relative to the OP. I also noted that what people bring to it, religiously or else, is another matter, not a non existent one.

except I think you would rule out brothers
or
exactly where do you draw the line?
It's a case by case evaluation relative to a compelling state interest in interfering in two adults' right to contract. Make the state interest argument against a given consensual union. In the case of incest there's one regarding genetics and health issues. I'd think there might be a compelling argument against your (so far as I know) purely hypothetical coupling relating to mental health ramifications/inference, but I don't know of any studies...or anyone promoting the practice.

Doesn't help you with the OP though. :nono:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
. . . Why not?

. . . for example . . .

. . . animals get along quite well without marriage . . .
. . . few species even bother to be monogamous . . .
. . . some males have multiple mates . . .
. . . and . . .
. . . some females have multiple suitors.

. . . often . . . only one of the parents has anything to do with raising the young.

. . . some species don't even raise their own young.

. . . :nono: . . . you don't.

would you have a problem with a human marrying an animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.