toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Sure. Inbreeding is not a concern with incestual homosexual unions. The problem with these unions is that they confuse family relations in ways that harm not just the direct participants, but also other family members.

and you don't think same sex marriage confuses family relations and harms other members?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
How about my solution proposed earlier. If procreation is really so fundamental to marriage as you claim, and no couple deserves the benefits of marriage if they aren't going to procreate, why not simply require that all couples applying for a marriage license sign an affidavit attesting to their intent to have children and that they know of no infertility or other problem that would prevent it. Simple enough, and very hard to break without deliberate misrepresentation, and yet it would discourage the honest but infertile from getting those costly marriages and taking up that government subsidy that you're so worried about guarding.

Or is that not really the issue after all?

let's turn this around just for analysis

would you agree to a brother and sister getting married
if
they would sign an agreement not to have children
and
would be forced to have an abortion
if
they should become pregnant?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It doesn't matter whether or not you find it *practical*. You are arguing that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry because they cannot produce children.

I, and others, have shown that homosexuals CAN, in fact, be parents. IF you want to use the ability to reproduce as a reason to deny individuals a right, then that reason would need to apply to all.

Now, how would you enforce such a policy?

I would put you in charge of enforcing it

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
and you don't think same sex marriage confuses family relations and harms other members?
Only to the extent that their reason is overwhelmed by their bias and not as an inescapable or biological fact, else the harm would be universal, which it isn't. So as much as it might pain your relatives in 1965 Alabama to bring home a new, black bride, their pain would be self inflicted and shouldn't govern your actions--and certainly not the law.

rexlunae

Well, I think at least that denying these people the meaningful kind of union that heterosexuals enjoy is more destructive. I don't deny that some families don't handle having gay members in them well, but I don't think there's a fundamental reason that that should be so.

rexlunae

let's turn this around just for analysis

would you agree to a brother and sister getting married
if
they would sign an agreement not to have children
and
would be forced to have an abortion
if
they should become pregnant?

No. I've already explained to you that the risk of inbreeding isn't the only concern with incest, so this doesn't even address my concerns. Whereas, you seem to have this notion that marriage is all about procreation, and I offered a way to save taxpayers money on those expensive marriage benefits for childless couples, and I'd like to know if you would support this measure.

John Mortimer

Well, I think at least that denying these people the meaningful kind of union that heterosexuals enjoy is more destructive.
:up:
I don't deny that some families don't handle having gay members in them well, but I don't think there's a fundamental reason that that should be so.

This is true. Religion as such cannot be classed as "fundamental".

I used to be fundamentalist Christian and I would seriously have been prepared to die for what I believed were the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith. Yet even though, in those years, I forced myself to condemn homosexuality I knew deep down there was nothing wrong or offensive to God about it.

It's that inner knowing that is truly fundamental.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Let's defend the sacred nature of an institution half of us end and insist the world would be a better place with less, not more, marriage. Because the last thing we want are people trying to make stable long-term monogamous relationships work."

Brilliant work, folks...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Well, I think at least that denying these people the meaningful kind of union that heterosexuals enjoy is more destructive. I don't deny that some families don't handle having gay members in them well, but I don't think there's a fundamental reason that that should be so.

so you think two guys should be allowed to marry even though it may upset the extended family
but
two brothers should not be allowed to marry because it may upset the extended family

can you explain why

rexlunae

so you think two guys should be allowed to marry even though it may upset the extended family
but
two brothers should not be allowed to marry because it may upset the extended family

can you explain why

If the family objects to the fact that their son can't be happy but with another man, that's a bit unreasonable of the family. If the the family objects because their brother is becoming their father, for instance, that seems to be more unreasonable for the brother/father.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If the family objects to the fact that their son can't be happy but with another man, that's a bit unreasonable of the family. If the the family objects because their brother is becoming their father, for instance, that seems to be more unreasonable for the brother/father.

what would be the basis of this distinction?

rexlunae

what would be the basis of this distinction?

Inwardness. An incestual relationship by definition turns inward toward the family itself, and forms loops where there should be branches. A normal homosexual relationship (or any relationship non-incestual relationship) mainly involves the individuals in the relationship itself.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Inwardness. An incestual relationship by definition turns inward toward the family itself, and forms loops where there should be branches. A normal homosexual relationship (or any relationship non-incestual relationship) mainly involves the individuals in the relationship itself.

so sisters and brothers should not live together?

Status
Not open for further replies.