toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
if you were to allow brothers to marry
but
not a brother to a sister

how would you justify such a position?

alwight

if you were to allow brothers to marry
but
not a brother to a sister

how would you justify such a position?
The only thing I would object to enough to want to physically prevent it is incest if there is even a remote chance of pregnancy.
That doesn't mean I have to like or approve anything only that deciding for others how they should run their lives is their business unless it affects 3rd parties who had no say in it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The only thing I would object to enough to want to physically prevent it is incest if there is even a remote chance of pregnancy.
That doesn't mean I have to like or approve anything only that deciding for others how they should run their lives is their business unless it affects 3rd parties who had no say in it.

so it is the chance of pregnancy that concerns you

so who exactly is being protected here?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
because there is no chance of pregnancy

right?

WRONG. Homosexuals can be mothers and fathers, regardless of whether it is through a surrogate or stand in or via adoption.

IF this is truly about the value of couples being able to produce babies via the old fashion method, then apparently you see no value in all of the babies and children that are waiting to be adopted.

Why do you not value THOSE children, Chrys? Do you or do you not believe that reproduction should be monitored legally for couples currently married and those applying for a marriage license?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
WRONG. Homosexuals can be mothers and fathers, regardless of whether it is through a surrogate or stand in or via adoption.

IF this is truly about the value of couples being able to produce babies via the old fashion method, then apparently you see no value in all of the babies and children that are waiting to be adopted.

Why do you not value THOSE children, Chrys? Do you or do you not believe that reproduction should be monitored legally for couples currently married and those applying for a marriage license?

you keep asking that
and
I continue to reply that it would not be practical

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because zip has routinely misrepresented my approach here I thought it might be worthwhile to go back to where our argument substantively began. I had stated that I was supporting the principle of the right of adults to contract and in defense of equality before the law. I made a series of answers, but I'm going to sum them here in response to that original posit by zip.

You seem to be arguing for more than that though. In fact you are arguing for the right to be recognized officially by the state as marriage.
Here his mistake was in thinking that marriage is, with regard to the state, more than contract. It isn't. It's treated as one with particular rules regarding rights of parties and dissolution, etc. Marriage is just the sort of contract being entered into. It needs no religious affiliation and no inquiry is made into whether the couple contemplating the union plan to have children.

I'd say your error lies in the idea that marriage is merely a contract. Contracts are drawn up every day without the approval of the government,
This is factually misleading. Every contract must follow statutory provisions establishing terms and parties and process, must conform, depending on the kind of contract, to any number of stipulations or provisions, or it may be held unenforceable at law. And many contracts, like incorportations, are drawn up with a great deal of involvement and greater scrutiny than the marriage contract, to say nothing of government involvement and benefits thereafter.

and there is nothing preventing a homosexual couple from drawing up such a contract.
Untrue except in select jurisdictions.

So why is the government concerned with the special contract (in a civil sense) of marriage while being uninterested in other contracts?
As I set out, the government is "concerned" with any contract. And the government is more involved in business related contracts.

Why is the government involved in marriage at all?
For the same sort of reasons it is involved in every contract, to one extent of another. It has a vested interest in equity and the protection of right.

I'd say it has to do with the familial structure of society. The government recognition and support of marriage exists for the support of the basic societal unit: the family.
Certainly the social compact has a vested interest in promoting its own stability. No question. A family unit's contribution to that also isn't in question. What zip insists must constitute it is another matter.

Not only is a traditional family proven to be the most healthy and psychologically sound (children-wise),
There are numerous studies that differ with that conclusion.

it is also the only biologically viable configuration less polygamy.
Untrue unless surrogacy is prohibited--and peculiarly focused in negating the value of adoption.

There is a reason the government sanctions marriage,
Agreed and noted above.

and that reason itself precludes homosexual marriage.
No. It doesn't. There's no objective argument that can make that case, only appeals to religious principle and cultural bias. Neither of those are sufficient to support discriminatory practice.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
you keep asking that
and

It doesn't matter whether or not you find it *practical*. You are arguing that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry because they cannot produce children.

I, and others, have shown that homosexuals CAN, in fact, be parents. IF you want to use the ability to reproduce as a reason to deny individuals a right, then that reason would need to apply to all.

Now, how would you enforce such a policy?

rexlunae

because there is no chance of pregnancy

right?

Sure. Inbreeding is not a concern with incestual homosexual unions. The problem with these unions is that they confuse family relations in ways that harm not just the direct participants, but also other family members.

rexlunae

you keep asking that
and

How about my solution proposed earlier. If procreation is really so fundamental to marriage as you claim, and no couple deserves the benefits of marriage if they aren't going to procreate, why not simply require that all couples applying for a marriage license sign an affidavit attesting to their intent to have children and that they know of no infertility or other problem that would prevent it. Simple enough, and very hard to break without deliberate misrepresentation, and yet it would discourage the honest but infertile from getting those costly marriages and taking up that government subsidy that you're so worried about guarding.

Or is that not really the issue after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.