toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

yes if you understand that marriage is primarily for the protection of the child
I think your non-sequitur thinking is rather showing.

Perhaps if a couple who both wear mixed woollen and linen clothing are sinners and would therefore harm their young.:rolleyes:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You say that as if the purpose doesn't matter.
No. I say that as someone noting that it's a bit of a circle to suggest that marriage is more than a contract because it's treated differently and then suggest that the difference is marriage. :rolleyes:

Are you contending that married couples give the government as much of a benefit as corporations?
No. I don't know how you'd quantify that distinction. I'm saying that marriage is one sort of contract. That incorporation is another. That they both receive benefits and are treated differently, as befits their differing natures, but that only distinguishes between contract types. A man and a woman may marry without children or any religious inference and be bound by nothing more than the stated terms of their contract. This is the foundational truth here. Whatever else is added is just and entirely that, however important the person adding it may feel that addition to be, however indispensable to his moral mechanism.

So then, if the matter before us is contract, then to abridge any adult citizen's right to contract as freely as another is prima facie discriminatory practice and is bound to fail as a matter of law absent fairly high thresholds of justification. It may take time to overcome the inertia of established prejudice and to match the principle with the outcome, but it is inevitable. As inevitable as the failure of the segregated South, however deeply held the beliefs that sponsored it.

To hold this part is not, as some would have it, to support sin, but to support each man's right to his own conscience so far as the exercise thereof does not impinge on another's right.

Samstarrett

You aren't hurting anyone
least of all a child somewhere
but
according to chrysosdumdum
you are.

(in his writing style . . . :chuckle:)

You are . . . perhaps the only . . . person on . . . this site who does not have the . . . right to criticize Chrys's . . . writing style.

John Mortimer

any sin in theory harms us and others

Anxiety about sin is also sin, though... so what are we to do?

Approach the whole matter as would a child.

"Give yourself prudence and love your friends
Subway kid, rejoice of truth
In the religion of the insecure
I must be myself, respect my youth"
Lady Gaga

We overcome through love and living faith in God.

"A different lover is not a sin
Believe capital HIM"
Lady Gaga

Silent Hunter

You are . . . perhaps the only . . . person on . . . this site who does not have the . . . right to criticize Chrys's . . . writing style.
. . . ? . . . I didn't criticize anything.

. . . you're becoming more :noid: by the post Sam.

. . . I'm FOR same sex marriage.

ThePresbyteers

define "marriage" and it's meaning. How does America define it's meaning? I believe marriage has two meanings totally different from each other. What does marriage mean to an atheist?

Edit: Just found this so the Government can marry:
"Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2 Therefore he who resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves," (Rom. 13:1-2).

Last edited:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
it already has based on the number of people here that do not think the purpose of marriage is to protect the child

can you point to something that does?

So let me get this straight. A given number of people do not think the purpose of marriage is to protect children and that alone has harmed children. Do I have that right? I don't think the purpose of marriage is to protect children either. Did I just cause a kid to get hurt?

You are not making much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.