toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Hi K-Mo. Welcome to the fray.
:wave2:

Even if that's the case, these auxiliary government benefits are not "marriage". Marriage, as a legal concept is rather small and simple. And so far, he's consistently argued against allowing homosexuals to receive even those protections.
If the benefits come with marriage, how do you separate it? What is your legal concept of marriage?

No, that's not my view. What legal marriage is can be, and typically is, defined in a short paragraph, the government subsidies aside. I think you almost have our views swapped. If you look back to the beginning of the thread (which is huge, admittedly), Zippy was arguing that marriage is not merely a contract because of these benefits that governments offer.
I agree that is what zippy was/is saying. That's what I have repeated here.

Well, what I think is more important is that there are social aspects of marriage that are entirely outside of the law. I don't think things like Social Security benefits are really an essential part of marriage, no matter how critical they are to some people.
Again, I'm not sure how you are separating the benefits from the marriage. They all come together. :idunno:

As I pointed out to Zippy, allowing homosexuals equal rights to contract for marriage would be the same thing as legalizing gay marriage. There's no middle solution here.
True. When zippy says he doesn't care if homosexual couples contract he isn't including the benefits that state-sponsored marriages get.

rexlunae

If the benefits come with marriage, how do you separate it?

Well, my argument is that the benefits aren't integral to marriage. They're separate statutes that can change by legislative action without the involvement of any specific couples, and without really fundamentally changing the relationships formed by civil contract between spouses.

What is your legal concept of marriage?

Marriage is the personal relation rising out of a civil contract between the parties.

Again, I'm not sure how you are separating the benefits from the marriage. They all come together. :idunno:

Well, if the question is, 'how do you stop gay couples from receiving the same benefits from marriage that other couples do?', I'd say that the answer is that you don't, and legally can't, the Defense of Marriage Act notwithstanding. As for separating the benefits from marriage itself, I'd observe that marriage is typically covered by dedicated chapters of state law, whereas the benefits are often defined by federal law, and are almost always at least separate law from marriage.

Of course, it's always been true that there are small minorities of people who marry specifically for the benefits. This seems unavoidable, but not unique (or even common) to homosexuals by any means.

True. When zippy says he doesn't care if homosexual couples contract he isn't including the benefits that state-sponsored marriages get.

But he's defining a middle ground that doesn't exist. For one thing, homosexual couples are prohibited from exactly the contract in question by the laws of most states, and changing that would give them access to marriage in all its glory. Also, if we say that they have the same legal right to contract that heterosexuals do, then the only possible way to keep them from the statutory benefits is exactly the kind of invidious discrimination that the Fourteenth Amendment is intended to prohibit.

rexlunae

I'm kinda forced to wonder, if the issue were gay adoption instead of gay marriage, would Zippy be trying to construe the benefits offered to couples raising children as intended to support the institution of marriage? Seems only appropriate...

kmoney

Hall of Fame
if you think homosexuality is a sin
and
you support same sex marriage

you are saying that it is okay to sin

We're talking about laws.

Do you think fornication is a sin? Should there be laws against it?
Do you think sodomy is a sin? Should there be laws against it?
Is idolatry a sin? Should there be laws against it?

I didn't realize you were a dominionist, chys. :plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
We're talking about laws.

Do you think fornication is a sin? Should there be laws against it?
Do you think sodomy is a sin? Should there be laws against it?
Is idolatry a sin? Should there be laws against it?

I didn't realize you were a dominionist, chys. :plain:

once again you fail to connect the dots

having a law against homosexuality, which I do not suggest is not the same a being against same sex marriage

you will have to trust me
that
there is a difference

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
if you think homosexuality is a sin
and you support same sex marriage

you are saying that it is okay to sin

Hey Chrys ... do you feel that drunkedness and gluttony are sins?

"Take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be with overcharged with surfeiting [self-indulgence or gluttony], and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares" (Lk.21:34)

According to your own standard, you should be speaking out against drunken chubsters being allowed to marry also.

Status
Not open for further replies.