toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
And you're demonstrably wrong in this assumption. If children become part of the equation then marriage is a more stable platform for them, emotionally. That's a real plus, but not the point outside of your dogma.

:e4e:

why won't the state allow close relatives to marry?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
why won't the state allow close relatives to marry?
Actually, it will, depending. Here's a good quick view from a Wiki article, of all things:

"In the United States, every state and the District of Columbia have some form of codified incest prohibition.[30] However, individual statutes vary widely. Rhode Island repealed its criminal incest statute in 1989[30], Ohio only targets parental figures[30], and New Jersey does not apply any penalties when both parties are 18 years of age or older.[30] Massachusetts issues a penalty of up to 20 years' imprisonment for those engaging in sexual activities with relatives closer than first cousins[30] and Hawaii up to 5 years in jail for "sexual penetration" with certain blood relatives and in-laws.[30]
In all states, close blood-relatives that fall under the incest statutes include father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, and in some states, first cousins, although Rhode Island allows uncles to marry their nieces if they are part of a community, such as orthodox Jews, for whom such marriages are permitted. Many states also apply incest laws to non-blood relations including stepparents, step-siblings, and in-laws.[31]
UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh has questioned the rationale behind laws prohibiting incest, at least as they apply to sex between adults.[32]"​

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so they could get married if they don't have sex?

Not what the article said at all, was it... Now concern over the product of that sort of union is certainly a motivating factor for the states, but your allowance would be a virtually impossible thing to police, to take the practical turn you're fond of, if those states were inclined to grant special exceptions.

Now then, why don't we go back to the actual issue that is under consideration and your inability to affix procreation to marriage as a necessary element. :plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Not what the article said at all, was it... Now concern over the product of that sort of union is certainly a motivating factor for the states, but your allowance would be a virtually impossible thing to police, to take the practical turn you're fond of, if those states were inclined to grant special exceptions.

the state has no problem with them living together

they just won't let them get married

so what does that imply?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, I want to slap each and every one of you upside the head...

Chrys is a troll, and he's suckered ya. Do the grown ups want to talk, or are you going back to this pinhead's tar pit one more time?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
the state has no problem with them living together
Not entirely true, as same sex statutes criminalizing aspects of their personal behavior remain on the books in a few jurisdictions.

they just won't let them get married
Most won't/some do. And when I was a boy a black person could mostly live and eat where they wanted, but not in the South.

so what does that imply?
Discriminatory practice, but it isn't implied, it's established where the law treats adults unequally. And it will falter and fail on the whole, eventually, as it has begun to in parts. Doesn't matter how you feel about it. You're free to decry it, but there's no secular justification for your interfering.

Chrys is a troll, and he's suckered ya. Do the grown ups want to talk, or are you going back to this pinhead's tar pit one more time?
I don't have a problem answering questions, to a point. I think that point is met and I won't be entertaining off topic, tangentially related side bar beyond it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Not entirely true, as same sex statutes criminalizing aspects of their personal behavior remain on the books in a few jurisdictions.

Most won't/some do.

so you know of states that do not allow a brother and sister to live together?

and

you know of a state where they are allowed to get married

I am sure others find that hard to believe

rexlunae

I don't think there's a single one of us here who isn't familiar with his unique posting style. He tries his dance with one person until they get tired of going in circles answering inane pointless questions, then he moves on to the next dance partner. Eventually, everyone gets sick of dancing. And, it seems like Zippy gave up the ghost here. And there's been no word from K-mo in a while.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am simply trying to show that the purpose of marriage is to protect the child
and
looking a state laws regarding marriage shows that

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am simply trying to show that the purpose of marriage is to protect the child
Then you missed the mark, because it simply isn't as a matter of law, whatever it might be for the individual as a matter of conscience or religious conviction.

and
No, Chrys, it doesn't. :nono:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Then you missed the mark, because it simply isn't as a matter of law, whatever it might be for the individual as a matter of conscience or religious conviction.

No, Chrys, it doesn't. :nono:

why does the state prevent a brother and sister from marrying?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so you know of states that do not allow a brother and sister to live together?
I was talking about the actual OP subject. I'm done with the side bar that doesn't actually attack the point regarding what is required to establish marriage OR the denied right to contract between adults.

Start a thread on your topic if it suits you. :idunno:

You already asked the why question and the answer is complicated, but I answered you on that anyway.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You already asked the why question and the answer is complicated,

why is it complicated?

the state recognizes that if a brother and sister get married, it may result in an abnormal child
but
no state will interfere with a brother and sister living together

if the state were to allow a brother and sister to marry, the state would be saying that it is okay for them to have sex

rexlunae

Except that they don't, and you haven't yet posted anything from state laws to support your position. I've posted a fair bit of actual state laws, but you didn't care about that because it didn't support your presumptions.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Except that they don't, and you haven't yet posted anything from state laws to support your position. I've posted a fair bit of actual state laws, but you didn't care about that because it didn't support your presumptions.

it was your posts that gave me the idea

you were the first to mention incest but you don't seem to understand the problem with incest

do you?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
why is it complicated?
If you'd used the link and read the text I offered you wouldn't be asking that question.

if the state were to allow a brother and sister to marry, the state would be saying that it is okay for them to have sex

Mostly incest law is about social mores, though it is also tied to the genetic likelihood of disasterous and predictable harm should the union result in children. So what's your point?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If you'd used the link and read the text I offered you wouldn't be asking that question.

Mostly incest law is about social mores, though it is also tied to the genetic likelihood of disasterous and predictable harm should the union result in children. So what's your point?

since you are above social mores

you would be okay with a brother and sister marrying

right?

Status
Not open for further replies.