toldailytopic: Regarding 9-11 they say "never forget". Never forget what? What should

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
toldailytopic: Regarding 9-11 they say "never forget". Never forget what? What should

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 9th, 2011 02:18 PM

toldailytopic: Regarding 9-11 they say "never forget". Never forget what? What should be our lesson learned on 9-11-2001?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

DEVO

Documenting mans devolution
The most important lesson we should never forget about 9-11 is:

Muslim extremists want to kill as many non-Muslims as humanly possible AND they want to disrupt the lives of every free person on the planet via terrorist acts.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The most important lesson we should never forget about 9-11 is:

Muslim extremists want to kill as many non-Muslims as humanly possible AND they want to disrupt the lives of every free person on the planet via terrorist acts.

add to that only military force will stop them

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I've often wondered this same thing. What are we supposed to never forget? :idunno:

That U.S. foreign policies can have unexpected consequences.
:up: I agree with this.

I also partially agree with Devo, insofar as saying that extremist Muslims are very dangerous to those who oppose them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Regarding 9-11 they say "never forget". Never forget what? What should be our lesson learned on 9-11-2001?

That unchecked fanaticism is like an out of control fire in your neighbor's yard. It isn't a question of will you have to deal with it, but at what cost and how soon.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Regarding 9-11 they say "never forget". Never forget what? What should be our lesson learned on 9-11-2001?

That unchecked fanaticism is like an out of control fire in your neighbor's yard. It isn't a question of will you have to deal with it, but at what cost and how soon.

Guess we better stop creating fanatics then....

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps we should never forget that Muslim extremists are dangerous. Forget the political correctness. Al Qaeda attacked America because it was 'the Great Satan' and a friend of Israel.
Lessons learned: We should be more vigilant about our borders. Forget about inspecting children for bombs at airports. Suspicious individuals should be checked. The terrorists now have us chasing our tails and it isn't protecting us. The US is still suffering the aftermath of 911 with some extreme policies at the airports when we should be looking that those crossing our borders and coming into the country.

Dena

I take it to me we shouldn't forget those who died and those who gave of themselves in horrendous circumstances.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That U.S. foreign policies can have unexpected consequences.
Really? That's the lesson you learned from 9-11? :confused:

It certainly doesn't make for a great t-shirt slogan... "9-11 NEVER FORGET that U.S. foreign policies can have unexpected consequences." :chuckle:

Seriously... I don't see that as the number one or even in the top 5 lessons learned on 9-11. :idunno:

The Oklahoma bombing (among others) wasn't the product of fanatical Islam. We need a broader net here.
That would be a different topic wouldn't it? I.e., what did we learn from the Oklahoma City bombing? Turns out those two events are vastly unrelated in motivation. And therefore different lessons would be learned.

imo

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I take it to me we shouldn't forget those who died and those who gave of themselves in horrendous circumstances.
I think that's the most common answer that most people would give. I agree that is something we certainly shouldn't forget, therefore I rank that answer as a pretty good one. :up:

However, if we want a lesson that helps us avoid another 9-11 (which should be number one on our priority list) we need to look at Islam and the Muslims plain and simple.

Don't kid yourself folks there is a somewhat large segment of the Muslim community that wants all of us non-Muslims to be dead. We need to figure out how to deal with that issue. After all... 9-11 was only one of many, many, examples of Islamic terrorism all over the globe.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That would be a different topic wouldn't it?
Only type.

I.e., what did we learn from the Oklahoma City bombing? Turns out those two events are vastly unrelated in motivation. And therefore different lessons would be learned.
I see both as the product of ideologically driven fanaticism coupled with an utter lack of respect for the rule of law.

genuineoriginal

Never forget.
9/11 Sushi: Nothing Says Never Forget Like Raw Fish
090111sushi.jpg

Is all this reminiscing about the day you never forgot in the first place making you hungry? Stingray Sushi in Phoenix, Arizona has got you covered with their "9-11 Remembrance Roll." It's made with spicy crab, avocado, and asparagus and topped with tuna and whitefish, and costs $12, Eater reports. (You've got to admire their restraint in not charging $19.11.)

Now before you accuse the southwestern restaurant of crassly cashing in on 9/11, please note that 90% of the proceeds go to benefit firefighters... in Phoenix. We swore we'd never forget 9/11, but now we're deeply ashamed to admit we've forgotten all about how Wells Fargo Plaza in downtown Phoenix was destroyed in a controlled demolition by the CIA.
Never forget what the CIA did.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I see both as the product of ideologically driven fanaticism coupled with an utter lack of respect for the rule of law.
OK, but that lesson is so entirely non-specific it has no value.

There isn't an organized group(s) of redneck conspiracy nuts trying to destroy America day after day. Can you honestly say to yourself that you feel threatened by folks like the ones that perpetrated the Oklahoma City bombing?? I certainly don't feel threatened by types like that. I'm not saying there are not similar nuts out there but in general they just don't pose much of a threat to our livelihood. Conversely, radical Islam is a REAL threat to our safety and our way of life. Radical Islam is plotting our demise as we speak on a multiple fronts. Radical Islam is the number enemy to free people in every part of the globe.

Do you disagree with any of that?

fool

Hall of Fame
I think we are supposed to never forget the way we all came together, put aside our differences, got our butts off the couch and focused our murderous rage on two foreign countries.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wrote: I see both as the product of ideologically driven fanaticism coupled with an utter lack of respect for the rule of law.

OK, but that lesson is so entirely non-specific it has no value.
I couldn't disagree more. The only real distinction is that you appear to be stepping over the rule here to focus on noting the danger of a specific example: radical Islam. But I think the indisputable fact that radical Islam is a danger was made long before 9/11.

There isn't an organized group(s) of redneck conspiracy nuts trying to destroy America day after day. Can you honestly say to yourself that you feel threatened by folks like the ones that perpetrated the Oklahoma City bombing??
I don't think the level of threat is equal, no, because radical Islam is more numerous, better organized and financed. But I find either group an extension of that principle and the root of that to be the meat that needs addressing. Else, we're stamping out symptoms and ignoring the disease.

...and what fool said. :plain:

Buzzword

I agree, TH.

In hindsight, the bombing of the Murrah federal building gets me more up in arms than the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon.

Especially since Timothy McVeigh was, to many people's way of thinking, an ideal American.
Military man, war veteran, home-grown in the midwest, and passionate against what he regarded as injustice.

All he needed was a Jesus bumper sticker and he probably would have been nominated for president.

The lesson taught by McVeigh, which Knight seems to have forgotten, is that fanatical violence can come from ANYWHERE.

It's not always "those people" "over there" sitting in a cave wearing a turban.

My sadistic side can't wait for one of the more unstable Westboro people to snap and go on a rampage, just so the Muslims who love America AND Allah can once again say "I told you so."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Forget about inspecting children for bombs at airports. Suspicious individuals should be checked. The terrorists now have us chasing our tails and it isn't protecting us. The US is still suffering the aftermath of 911 with some extreme policies at the airports when we should be looking that those crossing our borders and coming into the country.
If you want to get a weapon on a plane have your Middle Eastern friend put it in their pocket.