toldailytopic: Is the Muslim community doing enough to help thwart the actions of Isl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Back on point: you made a point of asking for numbers of Muslims against laws relating to blasphemy and I noted the willingness of certain segments of Christendom to embrace similar practice. The distinction between the two factions is a secular government that limits the power of people to accomplish that sort of thing.
You need to watch that video. It's not long.

Good night.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You appeared to use them as a reputable source. If that is not what you intended, I apologize.

As far as them allowing churches, maybe they they finally saw the Godfather Part II

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

:think: No, just the fact that it had actual photographs of churches in Muslim lands...Good night. :e4e:

zoo22

Eh, maybe it's that no one's paying much attention?

Do a search for "Muslim Peace" or similar, and you'll find hundreds of links that are related. Not a few random organizations. Hundreds.

My question is who exactly is doing something that the Muslim community isn't regarding Muslim terrorists?

Is it you? (whoever's reading this). Anyone here at TOL? I see a lot more organizations that are actively denouncing Muslim radicals that are Muslim than I do any other group. Anyone here have anything going on in their community that has anything to do with Muslim terrorism? Besides some yammering at the weekend BBQ I mean?

Nydhogg

I've only been to two muslim countries, Turkey and Egypt.

Egypt was too backwards for my liking, but Turkey was cool. The Turks are hospitable, civilized, and an overall decent people. Kinda socially conservative, but they have a counter-culture too, especially in Ankara and Istambul.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's the point. I shouldn't have to look.

I'm not sure if this is laziness or just bull-headness on your part, boss.

It shouldn't even be a point of contention, if Islam were truly concerned about what's happening all over the world they would make sure that everyone knew that they condemn the actions of the terrorists.

Knight, as I've already said: if you aren't going to examine this issue and look at facts, you're not truly interested in informing yourself. Muslims the world over condemn terrorism. If you're not inclined to look or listen you seem to be implying that Muslims should come to you and assure you that they're not terrorists. You've asked Muslims to condemn terrorism and denounce it. They have, and do, on an ongoing basis.

Terrorism by Muslims is a real problem that we are facing on a daily basis...

Here? Yes and no. In a way, TSA patdowns would constitute a "daily problem" caused by terrorism. World-wide? Yes, of course.

...while a handful of Christian nutballs murdering a couple abortion doctors are on two entirely different scales, right?

It's the same thing in practice: zealotry, which I loathe, period. Like I said, extremist Christianity and Islam are two sides of the same coin.

To clarify, are you saying Muslims in the U.S. should be more vocal about the distinction between their religion and that of terrorists, or Muslims the world over? Because if it's the latter that's way easier said than done.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
is that good enough for you?

Depends on the question. Enough to counter the oft sold idea that Christian churches don't exist in Muslim countries? Absolutely. Enough to convince me that Christianity receives the same treatment that Islam does here or elsewhere in the Western democracies? Not even close, since I understand that a number of those same countries make new church building an ordeal if not an impossibility and, any way you slice it, if you aren't a Muslim there you aren't travelling first class as a citizen.

But then, I'm not arguing the latter point. :e4e:

ghost

Hall of Fame
I read an article on the front page of Bing today that said that not all Muslims are Islamist. How is this possible? Can you explain this to me?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I read an article on the front page of Bing today that said that not all Muslims are Islamist. How is this possible? Can you explain this to me?
Sure. An Islamist is knowledgeable in Islamic studies--a scholarly designation. Doesn't surprise me, since there's always a large faction of a religion that's culturally/historically inspired and a section that wraps itself around a core teaching but doesn't invest in the larger dogma of a faith.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Sure. An Islamist is knowledgeable in Islamic studies--a scholarly designation. Doesn't surprise me, since there's always a large faction of a religion that's culturally/historically inspired and a section that wraps itself around a core teaching but doesn't invest in the larger dogma of a faith.
Doesn't that support what I said earlier? The only reason some Muslims don't support the spread of Sharia Law is because they are bad Muslims.

drbrumley

Can you link the article so I can see it? I'm on Bing and don't see it. Thanks!

ghost

Hall of Fame
Can you link the article so I can see it? I'm on Bing and don't see it. Thanks!
Sure!

The quote is this, and it's down a few paragraphs from the top

"The majority of Muslims are not Islamists, who believe in a society based on Islamic law, and not all of the latter are seeking world domination or are willing to use violence."

Story

drbrumley

Sure!

The quote is this, and it's down a few paragraphs from the top

"The majority of Muslims are not Islamists, who believe in a society based on Islamic law, and not all of the latter are seeking world domination or are willing to use violence."

Story

Thank You! Very interesting.

What I will say about this is, and illustrates your point nicely, is that the minority of Muslims (aka Bin Laden etc.) do think and have no regard for those who practice Islam peacefully.

drbrumley

I also think we have to take into account that there is a war right now in Islam for the soul of that religion. Our approach (the United States) is throwing fire upon the extremists. Embolding them would be more accurate.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Thank You! Very interesting.

What I will say about this is, and illustrates your point nicely, is that the minority of Muslims (aka Bin Laden etc.) do think and have no regard for those who practice Islam peacefully.
Are you saying that the majority of Muslims don't believe or follow the Qur'an? They are just Muslims in name only.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Depends on the question. Enough to counter the oft sold idea that Christian churches don't exist in Muslim countries? Absolutely. Enough to convince me that Christianity receives the same treatment that Islam does here or elsewhere in the Western democracies? Not even close, since I understand that a number of those same countries make new church building an ordeal if not an impossibility and, any way you slice it, if you aren't a Muslim there you aren't travelling first class as a citizen.

But then, I'm not arguing the latter point. :e4e:

well I'm glad we were able to pull that out of you

zoo22

That's the point. I shouldn't have to look. It shouldn't even be a point of contention, if Islam were truly concerned about what's happening all over the world they would make sure that everyone knew that they condemn the actions of the terrorists.

I condemn the actions of terrorists. I'm sure you do too. I don't wear a shirt or a hat or ribbon. Are you a member of some sort of "I condemn muslim extremists" group?

...Or is your group closer to condemning Muslims period?

You will admit wont you... that terrorism by Muslims is a real problem that we are facing on a daily basis while a handful of Christian nutballs murdering a couple abortion doctors are on two entirely different scales, right?

I do admit that, to an extent... But "daily basis" in what sense? Consider we have troops overseas fighting Islam extremists/terrorists. Every day. 24/7. But think about it: Do you actually think there aren't Muslims fighting against those extremists, too? Do you think it's only US troops? Muslims fight against Muslim extremists & terrorists on a daily basis. With guns. Every day. Dying. Boodied, brains blown out. They're getting killed... What exactly could they do for you to make you think they're committed to fighting Muslim extremism? I mean, besides putting their lives on the line? If you can't recognize that, you have an incredibly shallow sense of what's going on over there.

Again, do a search for "muslim peace" or similar... You'll find plenty of groups extremely active and vocal against Muslim extremists. Read the newspapers. There are Muslim-penned anti terrorist/extremist articles all the time. You say "I shouldn't have to look" ... But what, you think they'll be patrolling your neighborhood or knocking on your door to shake your hand?

If you don't see it, then yes, you should actually look.

ghost

Hall of Fame
I will say most fit what you described.
So then it is the religion of Islam that we should war against, and all Muslims who do not follow Islam should be on our side fighting them, correct?

Which brings us back to Knight's main point. Where are they? :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
well I'm glad we were able to pull that out of you
Yeah, cause if there's one thing you can take to the bank, it's my reticence in voicing an opinion. :plain: :chuckle:

Seriously, dial back the lavishnicity. :eek:

And ghost, I think you could make the good Muslim comment and many would agree with you, but I think you could make as ready a case in some corners for the application of Christianity.

I suspect that most people believe in God, even a particular expression of Him, but fall away to one degree or another as particular dogma is set in place.

I condemn the actions of terrorists. I'm sure you do too. I don't wear a shirt or a hat or ribbon.
You know who likes that sort of thing? Canadians, like Granite! You should definitely ask for papers. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.