toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder's Muse

I will smoke mary jane to give myself a break from the anxiety etc. It quiets my mind for a while. Also, it helps me sleep and works much better than sleep meds, which can have no affect at all.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is immoral to be a drunkard, no matter what your method of doing it is. I also think it should be legal but controlled, as some studies of smokers show it to be not as harmful, compared to things like percaset or morphine. But I always oppose it, because the people that want medical marijuana just want to get baked. That is being a drunkard.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sugar and caffeine affect judgment and mood too. If it weren't for the legality I wouldn't have a problem with it, except where it became a problem for the user.

Buzzword

Dena said:
If it were legal in my state I would cook with it.

Out of the whole massive thread, this little bit caught my interest the most.

Marijuana has culinary applications....aside from space cakes?

I mean, I know marijuana's biologically an herb, but now I'm suddenly curious about flavor combinations with garlic, basil, etc.

Oh God...I'm turning into my wife.

...UPGRADE!

Layla

No. Stupid and pointless, but not immoral.

Less stupid and pointless if it's for genuine medicinal use.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
No, it is not immoral to smoke marijuana.

Marijuana is like any other substance. It can be used beneficially or abused to the user's detriment. It's the purpose to which it's put that determines the morality.

My understanding, currently, is that it can have beneficial effects for chemotherapy patients who experience severe nausea brought on by the treatment.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You know there is a sizable difference between the 24 oz coffee I just put away and a joint.
Sure. The coffee is much larger. And if you're at Starbucks, probably more expensive. :eek:

In fact, they are not really comparable.
Except, of course, as mood altering drugs. Caffeine, I'll concede, is more addictive. :plain:

Dena

No, it is not immoral to smoke marijuana.

Marijuana is like any other substance. It can be used beneficially or abused to the user's detriment. It's the purpose to which it's put that determines the morality.

My understanding, currently, is that it can have beneficial effects for chemotherapy patients who experience severe nausea brought on by the treatment.

I've read the plants also keeps mosquitoes away but I'm not sure if that's true?

Dena

I will smoke mary jane to give myself a break from the anxiety etc. It quiets my mind for a while. Also, it helps me sleep and works much better than sleep meds, which can have no affect at all.

I would really appreciate medicinal marijuana becoming legal in my state for this reason. I have sleep problems that exacerbate my pain issues. If it would help I'd be all for it. Prescription medications have so many side effects and I think have just damaged my body. Sleep meds give me hallucinations. Last time I took them I was visited by a pirate and a bird. My keyboard was doing the wave while I tried to type (I didn't lay down immediately). I woke my mom up, told her I was seeing a pirate and went back to my room. Haven't touched them since.

lucybelle

TOL Princess
Humble opinion - any time you put any kind of smoke in your lungs - it's not a good thing for you. There's a reason why it's illegal - and for that matter, we should have tobacco on the same list of no-no's.

So - Marijuana has medicinal purposes, it's true. But much like any other naturopathic medicine, you wouldn't want to use it recreationally. The big problem here is too many people abuse it and our society has enough lazy kids who do nothing but consume junk food. We don't need to encourage them...

Zeke

Sugar and caffeine affect judgment and mood too. If it weren't for the legality I wouldn't have a problem with it, except where it became a problem for the user.

Well this so called legality is one I have a problem with! kind of like the federal reserve and its legality, or the law that one must pay income tax.

Thunder's Muse

I would really appreciate medicinal marijuana becoming legal in my state for this reason. I have sleep problems that exacerbate my pain issues. If it would help I'd be all for it. Prescription medications have so many side effects and I think have just damaged my body. Sleep meds give me hallucinations. Last time I took them I was visited by a pirate and a bird. My keyboard was doing the wave while I tried to type (I didn't lay down immediately). I woke my mom up, told her I was seeing a pirate and went back to my room. Haven't touched them since.

Sleeping meds make me really unfocussed the next day...like I can't keep track of my thoughts and don't really know what I'm doing. I still use them occasionally but I find a quick toke does the job in a much more natural way, with no side affects.

As for the anxiety meds, well they simply aren't designed to take it all away, simply reduce the severity. Some days it works ok but other days, the meds just don't touch it. I find that after a few days of intense anxiety, I need a break that meds just don't give.

Status
Not open for further replies.